Hello Guest

Author Topic: Moved Mill to a new home  (Read 1407 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Moved Mill to a new home
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:25:39 AM »
I have been looking for a wider cabinet for my Wabeco mill. It was a CNC mill and will be again but it needed a better home than the 30in cabinet it was on. I have done a full RnR on this mill after a garage fire, that left it in bad shape and cooked the CNC parts.

So I found a 46in wide x 24 deep Husky cabinet last week. I had also wanted something with drawers vs the shelves for access. Plus at $350 vs the 1000+ I have been seeing it was an easy decision. Siting on the old 32 inch cabinet the tray and X bedway hung off the sides while working.

Had a buddy at scouts make me a galv cover for it that fit great and the youngest and I did the swap today. I already had an attached chip tray that got in the way a little, but we got it.

I need to reconfigure the wheels on my cherry picker as they won't go under the cabinets, but that is for another day.

Started by cleaning it off some and wrapped a lift strap around the motor. This is a tabletop mill but still goes at around 200lb and is solid. We added double tape to tray under just the mill base. Then we centered and dropped it down, using a piece of flooring to get it centered before setting it down. I will then add a silicon bead around the tray keeping the nasty's from under it.

I had to use wood and clamps to hold it as I slid the flooring out. Rear mark was a little off but it was dead on in the front and the rear was flush with the cabinet back so I was happy.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Moved Mill to a new home
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:28:01 AM »
Here is the cover my buddy made. I think it is 18g and it fits great. I used a drop of silicon on the corners as they are open to the wood.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:36:14 AM »
Next I transferred all the tooling and such from the little cabinet to the new one. Half of this tooling is for my Emco Maximat lathe/mill. This is not the mill I just moved, it is parts of the lathe!

I thin the tooling is worth more than the lathe itself. This is all original Emco stuff from grinders to drill chucks the size of my hand. 4 jaw lathe chuck, rotary table and all kinds of custom tooling.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 03:45:29 AM »
A couple pics also show how I put a DRO on it. Pretty simple for around $100 and it works fine.

On the new cabinet the X table now stays over the cabinet less the handle on the right.

Here is a pic of the mill after the fire in '06, only hard part replaced was the motor head.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
Nice upgrade JR
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »
Very nice. I look forward to the day I have a similar setup.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »
Hass has some pretty good hobby mills also. This guy is local to me which helps.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »
Did your friend also build the top on your Craftsman in the background? Looks similar

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
Those are about 15 year old and came with the tops. Had them in a trailer before.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal