VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Down and dirty rust treatment.

(1/5) > >>

longball:
I while back I borrowed (which I hate doing) one of dad's trailers to bring my antique John Deere home. Dad always said that if you borrow something it should be returned in better shape that when it left so... I'll try to stick to that.

I don't know how long dad has owned this trailer. Probably 25 years or so.

My plan is to get everything clean, hit it with a wire wheel, then coat it with rust converter. If I have the opportunity before the trip back home I may run him some new lights. If not, maybe he and I can knock that out while I'm there. I'm not an expert at anything other than causing trouble so all suggestions will be graciously considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longball:
I started by removing the floor.

When I got the floor off it was time for the pressure washer. Got this one on sale a few years ago at Costco and have been quite pleased with it.
Making a small mess.

Got interrupted for a few minutes by a wreck just up the road a ways. Young fella rear ended an undercover police officer. Thankfully everyone is ok.

That'll need some attention.

Speeding up the drying process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpar86:
I'm the same way -- return something better than you found it. Have borrowed a friend's dad's trailer a couple times now and put a nice junction box on the tongue and rewired that, fixed a short on the brake wire, siliconed the clearance lights that were letting water into the trailer.  Then the neighbor's 4x8 utility - installed new LED lights that he'd purchased and hadn't installed yet and rewired it for him. I enjoy electrical work, so its fun for me :)  Also gives me brownie points for further borrowing of said trailers.

Sammconn:
If you need to rewire, use good quality rubber extension cord for the big run to the back.
Stays together much longer than the cheap crap that comes with a kit.
Solder and heat shrink you connections, run a ground from the truck through the plug and to the trailer. When I built both mine, I welded a 1/4" bolt to the frame for grounds. Put a 1/4" ring terminal crimped and soldered to the ground wire and your set.
The majority of trailer lighting problems are broken crap kit wire, and bad grounds.

rpar86:
Better yet - run a ground to everything and heat shrink like you do everything else. Wont have to worry about the exposed ring terminal and screw rusting over time and then chasing down electrical gremlins.

If you can -- throw some 1/2" PVC conduit on to run the wires through - fairly cheap and good protection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version