VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Do not buy a Volkswagon!

(1/12) > >>

Flyin6:
Many of you are aware of the issue that has developed with respect to my 2014 TDI Toureg

Volkswagen advertises this vehicle as being able to tow 7700 lbs which considering the vehicles great fuel mileage makes it a possible class leading tow vehicle. Those claims are, however false.

The TDI Toureg with it's abundant 400+ ft lbs of diesel torque can only tow 1650 pounds! If you add the weight of your lawn mower stacked on top of a smallish trailer, you are at or are exceeding that limit.

Now the Toureg can be made to reach it's full 7700 lb potential with the addition of some aftermarket electric brake device which we are all familiar with. VW, will, however, in the same breath tell you that they do not recommend any aftermarket parts or installer be used for the Toureg.

Did you hear that? You have to add a part, but you can't add the part! When I was talking to VW about all this, I asked them for the VW part number for the part that they would approve. Well, there is no such part. So basically the 7700 lbs towing figure is never actually intended to be used.

The representative I spoke with, Eric Wodowski, a very polite gentleman said that of course the Toureg was meant to tow, it is equipped with a tow package, but he acknowledged the discrepancies between actual towing capabilities and what is advertised.

I asked VW to take the Toureg back or offer some compensation since 50% of the reason I purchased the oureg I now find out that it can't actually do. The 7700 pound tow rating is nothing short of false advertising.

I'll publish more on this as the story develops. I am going to contact the DOT, Better business bureau, and any other civil and government groups I can to get some help and I will post the story as it develops.

Bob Smith:
 :(  :'( Sorry you have to go through this Don. Sounds like a new rig for your wife.

cudakidd53:
Obviously the VW crowd was addressing the obesity problem in the US and just designed it to tow 5 obese adults and their picnic basket........

Dawg25385:
Keep us updated. While adding a brake controller is pretty standard to have to do (not so much i new vehicles i gather), the kicker is really the tongue weight and inability to use a weight distribution hitch. Just really poor form on VW's part.

This one hits home too... My brother and sister in law traded in their F150 and their Subaru and consolidated down to the diesel Toureg, partly because of it's "towing ability" despite being a small SUV... I became aware of this information, and was dreading the conversation with them too. However, before they bought anything substantial to tow with it above their small utility trailer, life threw them a curve in the form of a 3rd kiddo and they had to get a mini-van.

Hope this works out for you Don. I've been very anti-VW for a long time... This is just further fuel for me.

KensAuto:

--- Quote from: Dawg25385 on February 27, 2015, 03:01:51 PM ---.......Hope this works out for you Don. I've been very anti-VW for a long time... This is just further fuel for me.

--- End quote ---

You and me both. Their quality has fallen off the deep end in the last decade, and I despise working on them....they remind me of the old, oil leaking, Renault Alliances that won "Car of the Year" back when.
rant over

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version