Hello Guest

Author Topic: Adventure gear  (Read 503 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Adventure gear
« on: July 04, 2023, 12:06:43 AM »
This year marked the first one in years where my back hasn't limited my activities. Thanks to another spine surgery, my third since the 1980's, I am back 100%.
Although I have aged quite a bit since the first time I broke my back, my zeal to get out has not decreased. You all may have noticed that my wife and I have been hiking quite a bit this year, hitting state parks in Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana.
It seems we are building on the theme of getting out and with each hike, we are extending the time and distance on the trail. In support of that effort, I am doing several things. First, I have increased my daily workouts to include more cardio along with core and back strengthening. That is coming along quite nicely, although my worn-out knees are protesting!

In the technology realm, I recently purchased several navigation tools. I own the Jeep-supplied Off-road-X software which uses GPS and cell phone towers to navigate us while off-road and in the Jeep. For the phone, I installed a cool App called "All Trails." That app has thousands of trails and maps available to call up and use to navigate along trails all over the continent. I noticed that the supplied maps at the parks are all pretty much garbage and pretty inaccurate. The app helps.

In follow-on posts, I'll detail individual pieces of kit and give my reasons for selecting them.
Finally, we are acquiring equipment. We do fun little trips to REI or outfitter stores to pick up an item or two a week to flesh out our hiking kit. Today I picked up two Osprey day packs. A small 24 liter for her and a 38L for me. I carry extra stuff for the "what-ifs" we seem to be running into.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure gear
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 08:15:31 AM »
I have had a few really nice hiking packs over the years

This has been my favorite brand. Mostly due to the quality of the water bag and the pressure system

https://www.rei.com/product/831073/geigerrig-rig-1200-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz

I don’t have this bag per day but a smaller model. 

But the pressurized bladder has washed out more then a few wounds, eyes, scraps and such.  It also help the extra winded person not have to expel so much energy to drink water.  They also have filter systems you can attach in-line of the system.
Iv enjoyed my current bag for maybe 8 years of moto use.

Camelbak was my previous.  I very much liked the shape and the way it fit my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 09:04:15 AM »
https://kifaru.net

My next (and last pack) will be Kifaru.

https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/gear/packs/bags-cases.html

I have a couple of these and they’ve been really good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 10:22:46 AM »
I have had a few really nice hiking packs over the years

This has been my favorite brand. Mostly due to the quality of the water bag and the pressure system

https://www.rei.com/product/831073/geigerrig-rig-1200-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz

I don’t have this bag per day but a smaller model. 

But the pressurized bladder has washed out more then a few wounds, eyes, scraps and such.  It also help the extra winded person not have to expel so much energy to drink water.  They also have filter systems you can attach in-line of the system.
Iv enjoyed my current bag for maybe 8 years of moto use.

Camelbak was my previous.  I very much liked the shape and the way it fit my back.

I never saw a pressurized setup before...

Concur about the camelback. Started using them a long time ago and just ruined my last one in a hybrid 5.11/camelback setup. Was time for me to get something new

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:16 AM »

That's solid stuff right there.

I did buy the Osprey setup at REI with the 30% off 4th of July sale, but even though I got a great fit out of it, there was no MOLLE. I tried to explain how I normally placed my knife right about here, my lensatic compass over there, and how my med kit was independent and off to my right side...

And I got glassed over eyes.

Nothing in that hippie world of REI gets anything about our military world. Sheep don't need med kits and larger knives I guess. And looking at the civie copies of the military lensatic compass, it has me wondering if any of them know how to do azimuth or back azimuth nav from points???

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 11:20:36 PM »

That's solid stuff right there.

I did buy the Osprey setup at REI with the 30% off 4th of July sale, but even though I got a great fit out of it, there was no MOLLE. I tried to explain how I normally placed my knife right about here, my lensatic compass over there, and how my med kit was independent and off to my right side...

And I got glassed over eyes.

Nothing in that hippie world of REI gets anything about our military world. Sheep don't need med kits and larger knives I guess. And looking at the civie copies of the military lensatic compass, it has me wondering if any of them know how to do azimuth or back azimuth nav from points???
First time I was introduced to a Kifaru was from an army ranger teaching a combat medic course  that had just got back from the sandbox. He flipped it open and showed us his med kit full of tampons, and I about bust a gut. Then I realized how important tampons are to a med kit.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 10:55:02 PM »
Funny you mentioned those.
Recently I tore down my blowout bag from Kandahar. I had so many wads of gauze/cotton and clotting kits in there. Dwarfed everything else combined.
Sobering...

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 08:57:32 AM »
Between tampons and heavy flow pads a womans purse is a good start of a med kit. When my daughter was in girl scout our med kits had both. Served duel purposes

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 09:15:23 PM »
The Osprey pack from REI is great. I bought one for small weekend trips or short jaunts so its only a 48L. Definitely not to be used for multiday, long term living out of, however I have for about 5 days. Maybe something from my military time does carry over... living out of a ruck with little comfort items.

However I am going to get a larger one.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 12:14:53 AM »
The Osprey pack from REI is great. I bought one for small weekend trips or short jaunts so its only a 48L. Definitely not to be used for multiday, long term living out of, however I have for about 5 days. Maybe something from my military time does carry over... living out of a ruck with little comfort items.

However I am going to get a larger one.
The 48 is a good size ruck!
I went at it differently. I bought the 34 for all these short hikes I am doing currently, then when I get into the overnight/multi-day hikes, I will buy another one that is obviously much larger.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 01:03:44 PM »
The 48 is a good size ruck!
I went at it differently. I bought the 34 for all these short hikes I am doing currently, then when I get into the overnight/multi-day hikes, I will buy another one that is obviously much larger.

It's a decent size. I plan on a larger one for the multiday jaunts we seem to be taking.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal