Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1381877 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #2400 on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:53 PM »
Vegas.  January is mo better than vegas in august

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »
I hit Vegas in July last year for s convention. It was rather warmish, but it was a dry heat.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: January 25, 2017, 09:28:06 PM »
Oh my, both bobby and i are now trainers...........lord help those unfortunate souls
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: January 25, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
Got the new Husky toolbox in, still have to fill it. A lot more storage and needed!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: January 25, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
Nice work bench/storage area  :beercheers:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: January 25, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
JR, you're making headway. There is a floor in there... :beercheers:

I finally got the new Liberty installed. HH6 comes in as I'm loading it and asks if it's big enough.
Honestly I don't think it is later, just big enough now...I didn't tell her that part.

I need the door organizer for it, that will help some.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
Got the new Husky toolbox in, still have to fill it. A lot more storage and needed!

My wife picked up that same husky tool box for me for Christmas. Sure is nice. Im still in the process of getting things sorted the way I want them.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: January 26, 2017, 01:27:18 AM »
Hard to beat for the price. Plus I got the military discount to boot. I wanted a plug up top but they were another C note. Plus the plug sticks out, vs up as I will run.

I have a safe that size in the house, big guy in garage. Small one in the room, garage and in soon to be office (front door).

Picked up a Savage 22lr Mark II FV-SR rifle today to play with. Deciding on a scope or red dot. Ruger American 300aac next week.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
I think I have one of the old two it replaced sold, the other repurposed to the cabin.
I'm really doubting the sale of the one now, but I can always get another or bigger one later.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: January 26, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »
That safe looks to be a little smaller then the one I picked up a year ago.  I which I would have went bigger.  Problem is I don't have the room to go bigger.  It would help if I got a door organizer also.  Move some things that I want quickly accessible there.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: January 26, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Went to HF and got a receiver mount for my vise. I have too many things mounted on the benches and need some space. I may move my grinder and polisher the same way. I don't use them every day and to be able to toss them in a receiver when I need them would be helpful.

My to-do list is growing sheesh....never enough time. I still haven't strung the power or shop lights in my shed yet. Haven't repurposed the dog house for the generator...haven't done the new shelves in a closet...and about 20 other things! I need a week to get caught up!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: January 26, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
Went to HF and got a receiver mount for my vise. I have too many things mounted on the benches and need some space. I may move my grinder and polisher the same way. I don't use them every day and to be able to toss them in a receiver when I need them would be helpful.

My to-do list is growing sheesh....never enough time. I still haven't strung the power or shop lights in my shed yet. Haven't repurposed the dog house for the generator...haven't done the new shelves in a closet...and about 20 other things! I need a week to get caught up!
Not sure what you bought, post a picture of this new fancy vise tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: January 26, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
I need something also. I can clamp it in the rockwell, but its nice to have it ready and not close to the truck.

Back to cleaning, I can see more floor!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: January 27, 2017, 12:32:06 AM »
Yes, the door organizer is nice. I also have motion sensored LED lights.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: January 27, 2017, 07:16:03 AM »
Started out productive. Was going to change 2 leaky airbags on the peterbuilt but then the mail came and turns out harbor freight is having a sale. The part for my trailer came in and my brother needed a new seat for his kenworth. So we burned the afternoon shopping. We will get it all put together today.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: January 27, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »
Not sure what you bought, post a picture of this new fancy vise tool.

I will post some updated pics later in my "shed thread" but here's what I got:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-mount-vise-plate-66260.html

I also bought this receiver:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-step-bumper-receiver-67159.html

The thinking was to mount the receiver to the side of the workbench....then when I need the vise I can just slide it into the receiver. The issue I have is that while it probably works really well for a vehicle and keeps the vise away from the bumper etc. the receiver tube (on the vice mount) is pretty long (18" or more? I have to check) so it will stick way out from my bench. Plus the vise I have is a pretty heavy Yost (50 lbs or so?) so its not that easy to store it under the bench (especially when mounted to the vise plate), then grab it and throw it in place. I think I may mount the vice and then use the receiver and vise plate for my grinder and/or wire wheel/polisher. I might even get fancy and mount one on each side and then just turn it up one way for the grinder or the other for the wire wheel polisher. Not sure yet. 

Either way I will probably cut down the tube on the vise mount. I am also likely to mount the receiver at a 90 degree angle to how it is set up so I will re-drill the tube or the receiver so I can drop in the safety pin to keep it in place.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: January 28, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »
That's an interesting idea.  I'll keep watching.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: January 28, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
Box bladed some land where I had burned a pile. Explored the Natl forest with a map and compass. Filled the deer feeder. Installed a motion sensor on a light. Burned some more downed debris.  Drinking a little brown water by the fire.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: January 28, 2017, 11:42:36 PM »
Well, still cleaning the garage and spent about an hour digging my mill out from the "other" garage.

Had to use it to help the youngest make a Pinewood derby car, well truck. So we had to mill the bed out.

Well the mill would not run and we found a prong on its plug got pushed in. This runs on 220 and is smooth as silk. Not really made for wood, but a little won't hurt.

Now I am painting as the race is tomorrow and I help with track setup.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: January 29, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Got my seed order yesterday. From http://migardener.com. This is a small company. Literally mom and pop operation. A young couple run it themselves.  Most seeds are $1 a pack. If you have a garden they are worth a look. This is my second year ordering from them. We also got all our seed corn for the farm in the other day. Spring is coming up fast.
A bunch of us went to a wild game feed last night. There was elk and moose. Turkey, goose, and all kinds of fish. The best was the turtle. I don't know who prepared it but it was awesome. It was cubed with some kind of sticky bbq sause. It was absoutly delisous.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:25:19 AM by Farmer Jon »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: January 29, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
Well, still cleaning the garage and spent about an hour digging my mill out from the "other" garage.

Had to use it to help the youngest make a Pinewood derby car, well truck. So we had to mill the bed out.

Well the mill would not run and we found a prong on its plug got pushed in. This runs on 220 and is smooth as silk. Not really made for wood, but a little won't hurt.

Now I am painting as the race is tomorrow and I help with track setup.
How did he place?  Finished product photo!!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: January 29, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
Spent a bit of time experimenting with the solar set up.
Had a nice sunny afternoon here at z casa.

So around 10:00 I switched on the full 1000 watts.
I'm on 12 volts so it was a bit of a gamble being the charge controller can only handle 650 on 12.
Shortly after the sun peeked around the trees I was putting 46-48 amps out, the batteries charged and it dropped off accordingly. So I disconnected on pair again and loaded the system down for a half hour or so and put one pair of panels back on. I was getting 35-37 amps out of it and it quickly recovered the batteries.
I plan to wait for springtime to do a rewire and reconfiguration of the electrical.
I'll stick with just the two panels for the time being when we are away and may turn it all on while we are here to monitor. It's nice not having the generator always on.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: January 29, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
Since it got to 65 today I washed the truck and the tractor. Made pancakes for the girls and breakfast tacos for mamma. Bible study and put my aux tank and tool box back in the Dually. Had to move it back about 5 inches to be able to open it with the bed cover on.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: January 29, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
Made a little road trip to Fairmont Nebraska today. I believe Thats kinda in Koots area. Wife wanted out of the house anyway. So we decide to go to Lincoln. Got a sitter for the day so no kids. I put an ad on facebok on Nebraska Diesel Crew that I was looking for some fenders for our dolly on the pup trailer. This thing slings mud and rocks all over the place. A guy sent me a message said he was in Fairmont. Its another hour drive no big deal we we're just out bumming anyway. Wasting fuel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: January 29, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »
Installed under cabinet lights in the kitchen for my wife. It was her birthday present  :beercheers:
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: January 29, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
Well just got done giving a statement to the police...

As I was getting ready to make the stuff haul and start the truck today had an unwanted visitor show up. He was motoring in a truck at warm speed down my skidoo trail. My four plus mile nicely groomed trail. Almost ran me over, I realized with about 20 feet distance he wasn't leaving the trail, so I did.

The then plowed into shore and up my cabin trail, that I didn't think a truck would be able to go up. Tore off the bottom plastic from the front bumper and proceeded into my yard. I turned around and followed him in. He had made it most of the way around the cabin and got stuck in the snow. I about lost my mind. Said he had just bought the truck and was going for a drive...He seemed totally oblivious that just about ran me over and I went total AWOL drill sergeant on him. He finally caught on he should leave and got stuck again. I continued to yell at him and he finally got unstuck and left.

Mama came out early on and I told her and the hounds to get in and get pictures of this a$$hat.
She did, and called the police also.

So the rest of the story...

The truck as I had suspected was stolen.
He has schizophrenia, and fell of the meds wagon.
He stole the truck in Winnipeg on Thursday and has been on quite the test drive.
Legitimately was test driving truck, then forgot I guess...
Ran out of gas, someone picked him up on way back to town. Small town, that's how things go.
The police were at the abandoned truck when we went past on the way to town.
He came back with gas and was arrested.
He's not from here, so I likely will never see him again, thankfully.
His family is happy he's been found...
As much as I'm pi$$ed about the whole deal, mental illness is a horrific beast, regardless of the form it presents in, and I wish him no harm. Glad he was all calm and such as I unloaded on him, as it could have played out much differently. 

Now I'm heading out to put up some trail cameras as we're going to be away for a few weeks and at least something will be watching the place.
Sam

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: January 29, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »
Really great service this AM at church...guest minister with a great sermon on letting God challenge you. Today was my wife and my turn to be LEM's (Lay Eucharistic Ministers- we do the wine at communion)...I always enjoy doing that...the young kids getting a blessing or having communion remind me of the awe and wonder I should feel when I dont so it's always uplifting.

Helped my friend get some beaver downed birches for his daughters wedding....he's building an arch for her to walk under.

Hauled some junk from my FIL's house....had a nice dinner with the wife and FIL....a good day all the way around.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: January 29, 2017, 11:11:37 PM »
Sounds like the solar is working well. Now time for more batteries.

Son made it to the semi finals. Mounted 45 slugs in the bed to get to 5oz, then had to drill out some as it crept over at the track.

That is also the tract we RR a couple years back. My boy is front row facing us with no hat. The girl in orange at the finish is my daughter who judged the cars, then helped running during the race.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »
Saturday I did a 5K where to make it even more fun they didn't remove the snow and ice.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: January 30, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »
I loved pinewood derby time.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: January 30, 2017, 08:06:39 AM »
Saturday I did a 5K where to make it even more fun they didn't remove the snow and ice.

Curious which one you ran?  My little sister runs and I am pretty sure she ran a 10K this last weekend.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: January 30, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »

Curious which one you ran?  My little sister runs and I am pretty sure she ran a 10K this last weekend.

Um I'll have to find the name. It was put on by a local Veterans' group.

I usually find them on a website (active.com) where you put in your location and what kind of stuff you want to do. Usually not much more than $25 entry fees... I'm starting to enjoy running again.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »
you may want to go see a DR about that bobby.............  :shocked:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: January 30, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »

I used to love running, it was when I did most of my thinking and clearing my head. Now hiking took over that job, but I'm adding more running to my repertoire.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: January 30, 2017, 10:35:31 PM »
Good for you Bobby, I added rowing to my cardio routine last week. It's pretty boring but the change of pace is nice.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: January 30, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »
That's a good looking car set up JR, did you have it lifting one front wheel or all four touching?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: January 30, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »
This dang CDO thing I got.
Found the steering clunk fix on Kyles thread.
Was bugging me, then Dave wanted the link.
So there I went...
Stupid CDO.

Those that don't have it bad call it OCD.
Those that have it like me understand. Lol
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: January 31, 2017, 12:51:24 AM »
Had a Basketball game tonite for youngest, Boyscouts for oldest (earned Tenderfoot tonite)

Monterey Overnight next weekend with the kids (sleep with the fish)

Still cleaning the garage, but making headway. (it is really bad!)

Got the HVAC vent worked out for the stairs and framed out a "hole"  :wink:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »

I used to love running, it was when I did most of my thinking and clearing my head. Now hiking took over that job, but I'm adding more running to my repertoire.

This is one of the best reasons for running I believe. I use it as a time to talk to God also, and there are time where in talking to Him, yes I ask for strength during a run. 

Your 5k sounded enjoyable, other than since not living in snow for more than 10 years now, I find anything below 40 uncomfortably cold, but still would have enjoyed the sick of running in snow.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: January 31, 2017, 06:19:49 AM »

This is one of the best reasons for running I believe. I use it as a time to talk to God also, and there are time where in talking to Him, yes I ask for strength during a run. 

Your 5k sounded enjoyable, other than since not living in snow for more than 10 years now, I find anything below 40 uncomfortably cold, but still would have enjoyed the sick of running in snow.

I think it was around 20*, I'm probably off on the temp but I think that's what it was.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: January 31, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
This dang CDO thing I got.
Found the steering clunk fix on Kyles thread.
Was bugging me, then Dave wanted the link.
So there I went...
Stupid CDO.

Those that don't have it bad call it OCD.
Those that have it like me understand. Lol
But I still can't find the post.  Search bar has left me stranded lol  what's kyles screen name

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: January 31, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
Time to find some tires for my 82 chevy. One must have sat flat for a long time before I got it. Side wall dry rot and won't hold air so I threw a tube in it this morning. We were out cutting wood and playing in the snow in the field with it Saturday so I guess that was the last straw. Its got 31X10.5 LT 15. I told the guy I usually get tires from he just shook his head and they are pricey. I want some decent off road tires. But I don't want to pay a small fortune either. Its pretty hard to put $600 in tires on a $1000 truck

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: January 31, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »
But I don't want to pay a small fortune either. Its pretty hard to put $600 in tires on a $1000 truck

Craigslist?

That tire size is a small step up for my XJ, so might be able to get some decent used tires in that size if someone is lifting and upgrading.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: February 01, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
Just ordered this from Dewalt

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: February 01, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
Nice hairdryer, Dave

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: February 01, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »
And took the bus to the car wash and then to the inspection station. Same guy that inspected it 3 years in a row. Now he says the brow tint on it is too low. It is legal height all the way across until the sides and it curves down about 2 inches below the line. So took it to another place and had it in and out in 5 minutes.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: February 01, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
1200 degree blow dryer if ya want to borrow it Tex.   Want me to share what I paid? ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: February 01, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
I have a small heat gun which has worked well for what I need (mostly shrink tubing and connectors).  I would be interested in what you paid for it and what uses you anticipate using for.  Sounds like it might even work on creme brulee

Thanks

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
I have ordered one at work and used it for a month or so with great results, the LCD screen is accurate with in 25 degrees so it helps rookies from melting delicate electrical components, the best price found on line was $85 ish from amazon. I paid $50 from a family member who works directly for dewalt.  Mark up is unreal.
These are heat activated solder joints, I use them at work and for home projects.  Faster than a solder iron and I am to cheap to buy the bad ass metcal solder iron for home.   The most current use is to sleeve all of my wife's I phone cables so they don't break at the connector.   Two cables and I could buy a heat gun so..... I wanted a heat gun

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »
The most current use is to sleeve all of my wife's I phone cables so they don't break at the connector.

can you give us a photographic example of this please dave.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal