Hello Guest

Author Topic: My bug out bag lesson plan  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
My bug out bag lesson plan
« on: October 07, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
It's my lesson plan for teaching a beginners class on the run away bag/bug out bag. You can see I practice what I preach

Subject: Runaway Bag Contents
The purpose of the runaway bag is to provide the user with emergency need items prepacked in a convenient ruck sack type bag. The bag would normally be stored in a vehicle, aircraft, or even at your primary home or emergency shelter locations. The contents of the bag are varied depending on what needs one feels he/she must be prepared for.

Type of bag:
The best type of bag is one that is large handbag or small ruck sack sized. It should be of a sturdy hiker or military style with reinforced stitching, a heavy duty bottom and provide some water proofing for its contents. I would choose a bag with some exterior pockets, perhaps two to three to help in the organization of the contents. Later styled military bags will come with exterior nylon webbing sewn on in a regular pattern which is called Molle (MOdular Light weight Load carrying Equipment). The purpose of the MOLLE (pronounced “molly”) is to provide a customizable exterior where you may affix readily available pouches, sheaths, or bags.
Whatever bag you select, do not compromise on the quality, you don’t want the bag to tear open spilling out your medical supplies when you’re on the run from a hazardous area. A good surplus military rucksack is a great cost effective alternative to some of the new trendy bags. Just do a good pre-flight of the bag prior to purchase to make sure it is in decent condition. A couple small holes here and there are not necessarily grounds not to purchase. If the bottom, clips, and straps are in good condition it is a keeper.
Since the advent of the two desert wars our military has fought during the past decade, the need for water has become very important. Some bags will include an integrated water bag capable of holding a gallon or more of fresh water. Just keep in mind the bag will become bulkier and water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. On the flip side, the water bag provides a cushion for your back and as it sweats, it will naturally cool the water inside and your skin as well!

Considerations:
For a moderate climate there may not be as great a need for warm clothing or a blanket, whereas in a northern climate those items would be paramount. Generally speaking the bag will always contain several items because of their universal need. The size of the bag normally should remain smaller so that it will net impede movement and slow you down. Therefore the goal will be to keep the bag relatively light, say no more than 30 pounds again, dependent on who will be carrying it. A full grown man could easily walk all day with 30 pounds, where as a woman or child might not be able to handle that much weight at all.
You may want to put a couple of bags and preposition each in convenient places, say one in the home and one in the trunk of your car. One of your bags might be more universal in what it contains whereas one might be heavily loaded with just a few things you absolutely need and expect to need in quantity. For example a bag to be used in a arid location would obviously contain more water than anything else. A bag to be used where you anticipate urban warfare like conditions might have extra ammunition for your personal weapon. When flying in Afghanistan I always knew there was a threat of being shot down. If that were to happen, I would immediately have been in a survival situation, not due to lack of water or food or shelter, but under threat from those who had shot down the aircraft. Therefore I carried hundreds of rounds of ammunition to help me ward off attempts to kill or capture me, while hopefully others came to my rescue. Long term survival was never going to be an issue. Contrasting with that situation when I would fly in remote mountain areas, I would make sure I had items needed to survive there for days or longer while I awaited search and rescue.

Recommended bag contents:
1. A high quality knife or survival tool with a strong knife blade. Single edge is for survival, double edge is for fighting. Note: Do not purposely engage in a knife fight unless you want to get cut!
2. Water bag or canteen(s). Water bladders which fold down are very useful for bulk storage.
3. Fire starting device such as waterproof matches, a lighter, magnesium fire starter, steel wool and 9V battery. Fire is important so have multiple devices on hand.
4. Signaling device such as a mirror, flare, smoke device, strobe light, or VS-17 panel
5. Compass (attached by a lanyard to pack)
6. Space blanket
7. Flashlight, blue/green lens filter (Reason: Tactical, more on this later)
8. Spare batteries
9. GPS
10. Needle and thread
11. Rope or nylon cord. Military “550” chord is a favorite.
12. Lip balm, sun screen, insect repellent
13. Sunglasses, spare reading or prescription glasses
14. Hat, full brimmed or insulated and waterproof. Place money bandages, thread, and so forth in the brim.
15. Poncho and possibly a poncho liner (Military surplus with a camo pattern)
16. Medical Kit consisting of:
a. Bandages, combat type, US military or Israeli military.
b. Bandages, square cotton type
c. Medical tape
d. Band-Aids
e. Anti bacterial ointment
f. Colloidal Silver liquid
g. Tourniquet
h. Quick clot type product
i. Heavy Duty Scissors
j. Alcohol wipes
k. Sterilizing wipes
l. Emergency sling
m. Aspirin, 325 mg
n. Anti-biotic
o. Burn cream or ointment
p. Diarrhea control medication
q. Any medication you currently take and require
r. Suture kit
s. Heavy gage needle (to introduce small hole into chest cavity)
t. Breathing tube, nasal or throat
17. Radio
18. Survival book
19. Food
20. Map of the area
21. Water filter or water treatment tablets
22. Lightweight Binoculars
23. Clothing to include: (Wrap these in zip-lock bags)
a. Spare socks
b. Spare underwear
24. Foot powder
25. Ammunition
26. Fishing kit including line, hooks and a lure
27. Cash or barter money
28. Small weapon for animal control, food acquisition, protection if required) Something like a single stack 9mm pistol is easily concealed and light weight.

Training: Practice With your bag
A vital component to your personal survival is your physical condition. You should be exercising approximately once a day with either an organized activity or by merely walking a little more or taking the staircase in lieu of the elevator. When you put your runaway or bug out bag together, try wearing it during one of your walks. Take a hike of about an hour or two in length while wearing the fully loaded bag. Plan to train with some of its contents. For example, move to a highpoint in the terrain and use the compass to shoot an azimuth to a distant feature. Plan for regular drinking intervals and perhaps simulate an injury at some point.
The idea is to become familiar with what you have and where you have it packed. You might discover that some reorganization is necessary for commonly used items, or that other items are adding no value, only extra weight. If you have moved long enough to have generated some sweat and perhaps some discomfort, then any unwanted features of your bag will have shown themselves. You can consequently make adjustments and perfect the proper balance of form and function.

Some other considerations:
1. For the most part, your medical kit is for your use and not for others except perhaps your family. If and when you become serious enough about the threats to your family as well, you will eventually make up survival bags for each of them. The medical kit described above is very limited and only supports a narrow range of trauma for short periods of time. It is recommended you develop a more complete medical supply kit fitted into another ruck-sack type bag to provide more in-depth coverage of wound, injury, and sickness treatment.
2. Unfortunately the masses you will encounter during a time of civil upheaval will not be prepared. Most people, perhaps as many as 90%or more will not have anything except for the clothes on their backs. Their needs will be great and if you share your supplies you will quickly be striped of everything you will need for your own survival.
3. Consider the climatology of your area carefully when out fitting your bag
4. Will you be primarily in a rural or an urban setting? Counter to conventions thinking, urban settings will not always be the safest places to be. When disaster first occurs there will be shock followed quickly by crime such as looting. You do not want to be anywhere near that sort of activity. Some areas will fall into anarchy quickly as police and military assets are retasked to protection of higher value activities such as hospitals, government facilities and critical infrastructure. Those areas unmonitored by government forces will revert to basic laws of the jungle.
5. Construct your medical kit IAW your knowledge of emergency medicine. I would recommend you attend a good emergency medical course then equip your medical kit accordingly. Military and police often refer to the medical bag as your “Blow Out” bag.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My bug out bag lesson plan
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:59 PM »
I want to bump this topic since I'm in the process of re-evaluating the BOBs for the entire family.  When the girls were small the bags were simple and it was more about getting them used to the concepts. 

Now that they are 12 and 14, soon to be 13/15 its time to get them serious about carrying their own pack.

I have army surplus packs as the foundation and am starting with a small medical kit as I build up the bag.

Found some small med kit bags on amazon and started filling them.  Amazon has a good selection of small packs of pills and antibotic cremes, etc.  More to come.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:23:29 PM »
Thanks for bumping this up. I’ve been thinking of my own need to update/ build out my family’s BOBs. It will be a fairly wide array of items/bags, with 12 people and age range of the kids from 17 down to 1.  If/when I get moving on them, I’ll post an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
You bet Dave.

So far I have in the Med kit (keep in mind this is a small kit for backpack)

1 Israeli bandage
Celox gauze
Scissors and tweezers
Splinter remover pack
Steri strips
Disposable thermometer strips(very cool btw)
Aspirin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Diphenhydramine
Motion sickness tabs
Nasal decongestant
Antacid
Sting relief swabs
Ammonia inhalent
.5 gram packs of triple antibiotic
Self adherent cohesive bandage
3M first aid tape
Eye wash

Will be adding

Tampons (good for gunshot wounds too)
Gauze
Band aids various sizes
Moleskin
Burn creme/gel
Hydrocortisone creme
Imodium
Super glue
Alcohol wipes
Iodine wipes
Razor blade
Triangle bandage for sling
Tourniquet
Sunnscreen
Lip balm

This will all go in a 6x9 zippered red pouch. Seems tight but by using small dose packs it’s manageable. The Israeli bandage takes up the most room.

Will get pics when the Med kit part is finished.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:47:06 AM »
Don was telling me about saline bags for an IV.   Need to find a location to purchase up here

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
Dave, get ringers lactate. Then practice how to use them. They come with the needle already affixed to the line. You can get a little bubble into the vein and not cause much of a reaction. But, failure to drain the line of 99% of the rest of the air and you just killed the person you're trying to hydrate.

Tex, now that they are of age, I'd set them up with ammo/weapon. Frankly a 10/22 ruger would be easy to carry, a breakdown model would store inside if needed and carrying 200 rounds of ammo wouldn't add too much extra weight.

Def, put the oldest girl into a .458 Hamm-R round just in case you need to stop elephants and tanks! ;-))

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
Don, did you get that email from Wilson yesterday on the .458 hammer round / gun too?  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

OldKooT

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
Ya also have to be careful. Ringers lactate should never be stored above around 85F which in many areas means no go bag application.

TRN I'd consider adding some actual antibiotics. They are readily available over the counter and quite useful. A small vile of actual consumable Iodine would also prove handy.

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
in addition, depending on concern with local laws.... (I'd think in some "emergency's laws may not be of a concern) a Beretta Bobcat would be much lighter than say a 10-22 and quite valuable as a forage/defense weapon. It's tip open barrel allowing single shell loading is handy. Add in a few .22 birdshot loads and you might be surprised how handy that is for small meals.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
Don, did you get that email from Wilson yesterday on the .458 hammer round / gun too?  :popcorn:
Got one from someone

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Got one from someone

It was Wilson, caught my eye too!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
Good banter. Right now with hormonal teens I need to control weapons accesss. Not ready to give them access to weapons. I’ll give them a knife and work with them on some combatives but the school shooting stuff makes me hyper sensitive

Antibiotics are available through vet and fish supply places. I’m working with some docs to get access to IV meds and other stuff.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
I pickup antibiotics at feed store for fish and have used them on dogs with a surgical stapler for years saving LOTS of cash in Vet bills when they tear themselves open on barbed wire etc. I’ve even stapled a friends arm with the same stapler (cleaned) and it works slicker than can be!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
I was thinking about the stapler, had them used on a couple of the kids for cuts and such. It is pretty slick. Just make sure you have a staple remover too, it definitely helps.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
I think we're on to something here
I carry a suture kit, but my fingers are normally all buggered up from something, so a stapler makes good sense...After removing the field expedient masking or 100mph tape.

So what is a good stapler kit to purchase? Link/articles of proper use...?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My bug out bag lesson plan
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
Here’s where I get mine.

https://www.chinookmed.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=pattern&id%5Bq%5D=Staple
Standby for YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYwvn1AgU8

I have xylocain and syringes so this is helpful.

https://youtu.be/uzpswG7UXME

Practicing on pork is good practice.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:13:21 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 11:50:02 AM »
I get mine through KV Vet Supplies.

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
They state you have to have a vet prescription, right?

OldKooT

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
Dunno why you'd need a prescription for a stapler? Pretty common on most any farm/ranch with animals.

Same with the drugs as well. Our farm store sells most common antibiotics/syringes and so forth. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
Iv bags Norm. Not the stapler

OldKooT

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »
ahhh how'd I miss that?.........guess I am not even sure where Kay gets them.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
I mentioned it before, if you get a stapler, make sure to get a real staple puller. They separate the ends and pop the staple out with a minimum of pressure. If you try to pull them out, you end up ripping the skin.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 07:17:51 AM »
I’ve bought equipment from them, not IV or drugs TRN - staple remover comes with sometimes but are cheep as a separate item too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal