Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2022 AEV JT Adventure  (Read 569 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
2022 AEV JT Adventure
« on: November 13, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »
I think I'll share on this thread the start of the AEV JT Jeep off-roading. I'll keep the modifications over on the build thread and just use this place to show the jeep in use.

This trip was the Jeep's first foray into the wild, specifically into the Daniel Boone National Forest near McKee in central Kentucky. It is a near wilderness area where side-by-side and Non licensed dirt bikes are found all over the public roads and even encouraged. McKee is a quaint very old Kentucky town occupying the infrequent and scarce flat ground in a narrow valley where flooding is fairly common. My sister lives there with their wonderful family and they once even had a chevy malibu washed up into a pile of flotsam in that docile appearing creek in front of their house. Luckily, they sit maybe 100 feet above the water and have to cross a narrow bridge to get to their driveway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 04:15:39 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 AEV TJ Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
The drive into the forest is on well-maintained trails

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 10:04:56 AM »
Corey, a native Canadian is my brother-in-law, an avid off-roader, once dirt bike racer (And very good).

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 10:06:04 AM »
He knows these back woods very well, having wheeled them extensively, although, as I would quickly discover in a S x S. That is important to note because his trail experience is in much smaller and more capable vehicles. That showed up on one trail where I faced a pretty challenging mud hole followed by a slippery climb. WE are looking over the thing and discussing which line to take here

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:12:57 AM »
I don't think the camera does that hole proper justice. It is nearly as deep as the truck is tall.

I first tried by placing the right tires on the upside, but the jeep started to roll over. Corey said the back tire was about a foot and a half off the ground while I was on a crazy extreme roll angle. When I felt it starting to go I hit reverse and backed out fast.

We then decided to just go straight at it. The ruts at the exit were actually SxS width which aided me in getting good sidewall traction. I actually drove straight through it, low range with both axles locked.

I think my sister thought I'd bury the thing and we'd have to walk out. As it turned out that would have been tough as we were miles and miles up inside the forest.

BTW, I can't recall the name of this trail, but it is some 352 miles long originating way down in Tennessee and continues nearly up to Lexington Kentucky, and all off-road.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 10:15:14 AM »
The water crossings are mostly protected with concrete due to a large number of UTVs visiting the forest. I had to cross many like this one.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 10:20:20 AM »
The trailhead for this trail was uber-tight. I nearly rubbed a tree twice. The ruts force you into this nearly impossible uphill left turn followed by an immediate right turn between two oaks. No truck could do it, only SxS and smaller vehicles and short jeeps. I wouldn't guarantee I could do it again without giving up some blue paint. I found lots of rocky sections, and muddy parts and mud holes everywhere.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 10:22:32 AM »
It was a fun day of ringing out the Jeep to figure it out a little better. To be perfectly honest, I did not find any limits or glaring shortcomings yet, except perhaps, for the poor gas mileage on the drive to/from.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 10:23:14 AM »
I think the smile says it all. I am a happy camper so far.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »
On this first short trip, I used 2WD, 4WD high, and low. I unlocked the sway bar and used the rear lock and at times front and rear diff lock. The AEV choice of Bilstein shocks is a good one. I never felt anywhere near being out of control except in the mud hole where I tried to roll the thing over. I could get the 37s to rub during extreme flexing, but only then. I did not air down this time, and I also carried no recovery gear and do not have a winch installed at this point.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 11:48:44 AM »
On this first short trip, I used 2WD, 4WD high, and low. I unlocked the sway bar and used the rear lock and at times front and rear diff lock. The AEV choice of Bilstein shocks is a good one. I never felt anywhere near being out of control except in the mud hole where I tried to roll the thing over. I could get the 37s to rub during extreme flexing, but only then. I did not air down this time, and I also carried no recovery gear and do not have a winch installed at this point.

In true bujee jeeper fashion I must recommend a nice light bar before any of that other useless items you just referenced. I mean, if you can’t see what good would the rest of that stuff be anyhow?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »

In true bujee jeeper fashion I must recommend a nice light bar before any of that other useless items you just referenced. I mean, if you can’t see what good would the rest of that stuff be anyhow?
Lightbar, hugh.
As in a long LED lightbar or some overhead high mounted lights?
I ask cause the headlights are PDG! And those AEV lights are super good, as in light up the night good

Just got back from the truck wash. It's blue once again.
Checked the mileage. The drive down there, a few hours of crawling around, a lot of it in low range and the 70 mph drive home netted me something around 9-10 MPG!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 04:40:02 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »

Lightbar, hugh.
As in a long LED lightbar or some overhead high mounted lights?
I ask cause the headlights are PDG! And those AEV lights are super good, as in light up the night good

Just got back from the truck wash. It's blue once again.
Checked the mileage. The drive down there, a few hours of crawling around, a lot of it in low range and the 70 mph drive home netted me something around 9-10 MPG!!!!!
Burb get that mileage donit? I know the dodge gets better than that when we go for a similar trip here.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 05:33:44 PM »
That includes all the off-roading in low range crawling around for three hours +
But
It does not like to go fast. Push it and mileage starts to suffer a bunch
I would have loved to have purchased a diesel, but that would have been $80K and they didn't have one or have one coming in
I think 16 for day-to-day seems to be a pretty safe number.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 01:39:36 PM »
Looks like a nice day of easy trails in the woods! Color me jealous!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2022, 05:23:00 PM »
Come join us sometime!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 09:22:21 PM »
 :popcorn:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 11:08:04 AM »
Come join us sometime!

I plan to take you up at that, some time in the future. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
Come join us sometime!

I plan to take you up at that, some time in the future. ;-)
That, my fairly armored friend would really be cool. I look forward to it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal