Hello Guest

Author Topic: too good to be true  (Read 1360 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
too good to be true
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »
From the files of probably too good to be true, I ran across this ad today and emailed about it.  Got the response below back

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18683842

Hi, This is Kelly Hill ,

Thanks for replying to my ad. I'm selling it because I'm serving in Offutt AFB, Nebraska but I was promoted and transferred to Elmendorf AFB  in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, so I don't need it anymore at this time. Let me give you a few details about it: 1977 Jeep CJ7 Renegade Sport with only 69k miles on it, no accident history, clear title, no dents or dings and no scratches. Always adult driven and garaged, never abused or raced. If you are interested, it's still available for sale and the price, as stated in the ad, is $2,500.00, so if you have the money ready to buy it email me back.

I look forward to hearing from you
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: too good to be true
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:31:08 PM »
Let me guess

A brokered sale with escrowed monies and all that Craigslist shenanigans...?

I'd peruse, though...Might be real...?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:38:42 PM »
Sounds like same scam they tried to run on me over a sweet 77 f250.... Just a week or so ago

They'll come back that you have to buy it via eBay with a five day inspection period. They will ship it via some internal thing with the service. It will take ten days to get delivered to you etc etc etc....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:41:02 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:57:58 PM »
Yeah, can't hurt to see where it goes.  I'll start by saying I have a friend in NE that would be willing to inspect and make the purchase for me.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
My email reply:

Thanks Kelly. And thank you for your service.  I have a friend in Lincoln that would be willing to inspect and perform the transaction in cash for me.

What would be a good date or time to have him come by and take a peek?

Thanks

And now we wait for the excuse on why he can't meet...just got shipped out, truck is actually in PA, he works nights, etc...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:17:59 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
Yep, I told them I pay in person in cash when I buy vehicles. Then..... Crickets ::)

The main similarity (besides flawless vehicle) is they were relocating to same base in Alaska.....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:29:08 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA..................Offutt is actually in the middle of Omaha which is like 55miles / 1hour from Lincoln, ne.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:51:11 AM »
Here's the scam as suspected

Hi again,

Interior Color:Black 
Number of Cylinders: 8 
Transmission:t18 manual 
Engine:5.0L 304Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
Body Type:SUV
Drive Type: 4WD

As I've told you, at this moment I am in Offutt AFB, NE in a military base. I do a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or call whenever I want. The reason I'm selling this car way below market value is because don't have time for negotiations and I need money before May 20 for my next house in Anchorage. The car is already at our Offutt Air Force Base Library form Offutt AFB, NE crated and ready to go. Like I already said, the delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 2-3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal.

I also posted the car on eBay. If you want to buy it just confirm to me and i will provide you the link where the car is posted on eBay , so you can complete the purchase on eBay with Buy It Now option ! Thanks

I look forward to hearing from you...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:57 AM »
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the sad thing is, there are people that will truthfully fall for this crap!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »
Yep looks like a scam... that said I am more than capable of wandering around on base *do it all the time* so yell if it somehow becomes real.

In fact I need to get to Omaha soon, I haven't hd a Hardees ham n cheese in ages.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
Boy the scammers stay one step up don't they? Now its using military as "cover". Sheesh. Too bad. Well at least you weren't suckered.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal