Hello Guest

Author Topic: '92 W250  (Read 7988 times)

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
'92 W250
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:44:07 AM »
Okay, I haven't been here in awhile. But in a strange turn of events, I purchased a 1992 Dodge W250, and if there's one place that seems to love these old ugly things, it's you guys.

Basically, a few days ago I posted a wanted ad on a local outdoorsmen forum I browse that basically read something along the lines of "Looking for an older Dodge diesel, please contact me if you have one you would be willing to part with". I was essentially just looking to hopefully pick up a not too ragged-out 2nd gen 2wd truck to pull my trailer with, but instead a guy contacts me saying he has a 92 regular cab, long bed, 4wd, 5 speed standard sitting in the bush on the corner of his farm that he would like to get rid of.

So I decided to go check it out. Here's the run down on the old girl.

-The farmer I bought it from purchased it brand new in 1992, and used it to haul cattle. A lot of cattle. Said it pulled like all hell and besides eating u-joints, almost never gave him any issues.
-It has 540,000 km, which is just under 340,000 miles.
-Body is bad, the worst by far being the passenger side bedside.
-Interior is that tan/gold color, and is filled with a generous helping of mouse poop. It is an LE model with power locks and windows, all of which work. A few hard hours with a vacuum, maybe a pressure washer, and a lot of cleaning chemicals may be able to make it decent. Didn't check underneath, but the floor felt pretty solid.
-When I went to look at it, seller claimed he hasn't started it in approximately a year until today. Put a new battery in it, turned the key and she woke right up.
-Engine runs good, but sounds like it could definitely use a timing adjustment. Didn't have much blow-by.
-According to the seller, the rear end, front end, and transfer case are all in good working condition.
-The front suspension was at some point changed to leafs, after he supposedly installed coils that weren't strong enough or something.
-The hood latch cable broke when he unlatched the hood earlier.

Besides the body being about done, the transmission is the main problem. I'm not exactly sure what the issue with it is because he was using some odd-ball terminology, but this is roughly what he told me. Essentially, there's some sort of pin (or maybe it was a fork or a dowel?) that has snapped, and now the truck is supposedly stuck in TWO gears. I don't know left from right when it comes to transmissions, so that has me a bit confused. From what he was telling me, you don't even need to drop the transmission to get at it, as he popped the boot off and was sort of pointing at the problem area. He also said it should be an easy enough fix with a guy who can weld half decently. Once I pick up the truck, I'll look deeper into it and try to figure out exactly what has broken and what will be required to fix it. Other than that, he claimed the transmission is fine.

Anyway, I think that's about it. He said give me $1000 and it's yours. I'll be picking it up this Saturday. No idea what I want to do with it. If the transmission is an easy enough fix, and the truck doesn't need much more than fluids, tires, and maybe some minor brake work, I might keep it as a back-up beater truck or if mechanically the thing is real good, I might try to find some D150 that's in decent shape and completely swap the body. If the truck turns out to be pretty much junk, I figure I could part it out and easily make my money back and more.

Finally, pictures. God I love that two tone paint. What I would give to be able to buy this truck brand new in 1992.

Nick
2006 Chevrolet 2500 - 6.6L / Allison
1997 GMC 2500 - 5.7L / NV4500

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: '92 W250
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »
Wow. Ask and he shall receive. Maybe you should just dump a TON of money in it, getting it about 90% completely restored and then let it sit in your garage indefinitely. 

(I'm sooo getting fired)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
"Incoming!"

Nice find for sure!  Should be able to get it running down the road fairly easily based upon the provided information - watch the "fluid change" business though! :laugh:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
The pictures look better than what you were describing !
It's very possible to get stuck between 2 gears when the trans gets a little sloppy. My 73 gmc would do that if I tried to shift too fast.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
Nothing about what you said or what I see scares me about that truck

You could immediately sell the engine alone for over $1000 so you made one excellent buy!

Where in Canada?? Alberta?

Was interested if the truck was in a more salt free region.

Anyway, if you don't want to fix it, I call first dibs! Square D needs a partner to rest next to

and

I heard that Tex ;-)

Patience, my friend, patience...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
Wow. Ask and he shall receive.

Right? Talk about a stroke of good luck. Must be karma from when I let that old lady in while in traffic a few weeks ago or something...
Nick

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
The pictures look better than what you were describing !
It's very possible to get stuck between 2 gears when the trans gets a little sloppy. My 73 gmc would do that if I tried to shift too fast.

Interesting. He said the transmission was totally fine until whatever happened to it happened. Again, once I get it home I'll look into it more.
Nick

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »

You could immediately sell the engine alone for over $1000 so you made one excellent buy!

Anyway, if you don't want to fix it, I call first dibs! Square D needs a partner to rest next to

and

I heard that Tex ;-)

Yep, Alberta. If it were from BC, it would have been a steal, but also likely would have been in about 10x better shape, rust wise.

I have been toying around with the idea of tossing a flat deck on the back. The pictures don't really show how immediately bad it is on the passenger side bedside, it's rusted through in more than a few places. The cab, besides the rockers, cab corners and the bottom of the front fender seems to be fine. I think getting those cut out, new sheet metal welded in, then a bit of body filling to make it look half decent, and then spray from where the maroon paint begins down with a rock guard would look good for my purposes. Then take off the bed, probably scrap it for all the $40 it's worth, and pick up a used flat deck for hopefully under $1k. Paint it black, throw it on.

That way I still get to retain that gorgeous two-tone paint on the cab, which has that perfect tinge of paint fade, patina, and actual decent paint, while also making it not look like a complete rusted out pile of garbage.
Nick

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »

and

I heard that Tex ;-)

Yep, Alberta. If it were from BC, it would have been a steal, but also likely would have been in about 10x better shape, rust wise.

I have been toying around with the idea of tossing a flat deck on the back. The pictures don't really show how immediately bad it is on the passenger side bedside, it's rusted through in more than a few places. The cab, besides the rockers, cab corners and the bottom of the front fender seems to be fine. I think getting those cut out, new sheet metal welded in, then a bit of body filling to make it look half decent, and then spray from where the maroon paint begins down with a rock guard would look good for my purposes. Then take off the bed, probably scrap it for all the $40 it's worth, and pick up a used flat deck for hopefully under $1k. Paint it black, throw it on.

That way I still get to retain that gorgeous two-tone paint on the cab, which has that perfect tinge of paint fade, patina, and actual decent paint, while also making it not look like a complete rusted out pile of garbage.
Or

Look for awhile and come up with a good non rusted bed, and bolt that back in place, along with the proper two toned multi-cam scheme of course ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
Non rusted trucks...

Two words:

Tex-as

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
'92 W250
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
Non rusted trucks...

Two words:

Tex-as

And Arizona, sometimes! I've got a long bed in solid shape.... minus the one cut out hole in the bed.

Oh, and solid find!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:21:32 PM by wyorunner »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
Don't leave Kali out of the rust free states! Should be plenty of beds around for that.

Great buy, by the way.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
I don't know. I sure don't want to paint the truck, and having a mismatched color bed would drive me bonkers and I personally would prefer a black flat deck. I'll definitely keep my eye out for a bed, though. I have nothing but patience, I've been wanting one of these since I first laid eyes on the Square D build thread in 2014, and just bided my time till the perfect deal popped up (although I missed out on a fully functional, much better body condition, '91 W250 5 speed for $2500 that I still kick myself over).
Nick

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
Hi there...nice buy.

The transmission issue is likely a larger problem than your led to believe. It's a common problem actually. It basically will at a minimal need a "shift tower" rebuild. You can not access this with the trans in the truck (unless you saw-zall out a large piece of floor) So removal is required. (45 min to a hour if you have the equipment) You have a Getrag 360 5speed which are getting hard to find parts for. I can do some checking if needed, but at one time not long ago you could still source shift forks and stuff to rebuild the tower. But they are not at all inexpensive.  The above is your best case scenario...A complete rebuild is ONLY possible if the trans case is not stretched... your average rebuild shop that does trans work is likely not qualified to rebuild this transmission. If yours needs a rebuild...there are solutions, and I will be happy to help if you end up n that position.

How I would approach this issue. Get it home, remove the shift stick from the topside (this can be done) use a large screw driver and pry the gears back into place for neutral and reinstall the shift lever. Now go drive it gingerly and evaluate the transmission and clutch.

If you don't hear odd noises, and it doesn't jump out of third gear especially, and the clutch seem to hold ok....just drag the trans out and redo the shift tower. Also drain the trans oil and see how much metal is in it. Bottom line if you get lucky and it has somehow not developed the problems most of these have....awesome.

Now,  about the rest of the truck.

The injection pump will begin to leak at some point soon... modern diesel, old seals and sitting...it will either drip annoyingly...or run out like a garden hose. This WILL happen, its just when. No need to panic, but watch for this.

The lift pump will also likely die. Sometimes when they do...they fill the engine with fuel.  Again its a when thing after sitting.

If it has 340K on it and runs rough cold, but smooths out when warm, it's almost guaranteed the injectors are just wore. Again no big deal really. But don't ignore it too long...

I could go on all night and type a novel. One thing about these trucks, they all have the same issues, and they are all rather simple solutions.

But I wont bs you.... they can become a money pit quickly, especially if you don't have the ability to fix it yourself (dunno)

Also if its rusty before you spend $$$ on anything do a detailed examination of the driver side frame rail behind/under the fuel tank. This is a common rust area and if thin...your going to need a frame/or repair. Also actually not a big deal...to find a frame. I likely have 3 or 4 myself. But lets not get ahead of yourself...like Don said its worth what ya gave easily in parts... relax and check that frame and above mentioned issues.

I am not always here checking this forum (I am now Amish) but if I can help, just mention ya need to get a hold of me and one of these guys can track me down easily enough... that's how I saw your post.

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Hi there...nice buy.

The transmission issue is likely a larger problem than your led to believe. It's a common problem actually. It basically will at a minimal need a "shift tower" rebuild. You can not access this with the trans in the truck (unless you saw-zall out a large piece of floor) So removal is required. (45 min to a hour if you have the equipment) You have a Getrag 360 5speed which are getting hard to find parts for. I can do some checking if needed, but at one time not long ago you could still source shift forks and stuff to rebuild the tower. But they are not at all inexpensive.  The above is your best case scenario...A complete rebuild is ONLY possible if the trans case is not stretched... your average rebuild shop that does trans work is likely not qualified to rebuild this transmission. If yours needs a rebuild...there are solutions, and I will be happy to help if you end up n that position.

How I would approach this issue. Get it home, remove the shift stick from the topside (this can be done) use a large screw driver and pry the gears back into place for neutral and reinstall the shift lever. Now go drive it gingerly and evaluate the transmission and clutch.

If you don't hear odd noises, and it doesn't jump out of third gear especially, and the clutch seem to hold ok....just drag the trans out and redo the shift tower. Also drain the trans oil and see how much metal is in it. Bottom line if you get lucky and it has somehow not developed the problems most of these have....awesome.

Now,  about the rest of the truck.

The injection pump will begin to leak at some point soon... modern diesel, old seals and sitting...it will either drip annoyingly...or run out like a garden hose. This WILL happen, its just when. No need to panic, but watch for this.

The lift pump will also likely die. Sometimes when they do...they fill the engine with fuel.  Again its a when thing after sitting.

If it has 340K on it and runs rough cold, but smooths out when warm, it's almost guaranteed the injectors are just wore. Again no big deal really. But don't ignore it too long...

I could go on all night and type a novel. One thing about these trucks, they all have the same issues, and they are all rather simple solutions.

But I wont bs you.... they can become a money pit quickly, especially if you don't have the ability to fix it yourself (dunno)

Also if its rusty before you spend $$$ on anything do a detailed examination of the driver side frame rail behind/under the fuel tank. This is a common rust area and if thin...your going to need a frame/or repair. Also actually not a big deal...to find a frame. I likely have 3 or 4 myself. But lets not get ahead of yourself...like Don said its worth what ya gave easily in parts... relax and check that frame and above mentioned issues.

I am not always here checking this forum (I am now Amish) but if I can help, just mention ya need to get a hold of me and one of these guys can track me down easily enough... that's how I saw your post.

Thanks for all the great information. Truck seemed to run maybe a bit on the rough side after being started, however I have to say I've never owned a 12v so the difference between running rough and running fine is a bit blurred due to how loud and rattle-y they are in general. If anything it sounded almost a bit... hollow. Didn't sound at all like it was missing or anything. I am also bearing in mind that it was running on diesel fuel that is at least a year old, and I'm sure it's due for an oil change, and just the lack of being started in awhile also likely doesn't help.

Owner said that in the 25 years and 340k miles he owned it, neither the injection pump or the injectors were ever changed, and the truck spent a lot of years and a lot miles with the fuel straight cranked (while mentioning something along the lines of "that sum' b**** pulled like all hell but Christ it'd black out half the highway if you got on 'er"). So the pump is living on some seriously borrowed time, and the injectors could definitely use a changing. Still, I plan on running some Stanadyne through the tank and hope that eases things a little.

I really appreciate the info about frame rust. I didn't get much of a chance to look underneath due to it being right in the tall grass, but will check that for sure.

And a big thanks for all the transmission info. Half the reason I bought this thing is it's simple enough to work on. I don't claim to be the most mechanically experienced or inclined guy out there but I'm always willing to give it a shot, and with the internet having tutorial write ups and videos on how to do basically anything, especially with 1st gens, I'm not overly worried. I'll drop the tranny and check it out, if it needs a full rebuild, I'll likely try to call around some shops around town and see A: if they're capable of rebuilding it and B: at what cost. Worst case scenario, I get way in over my head, and like you guys have said, I'll just sell it off for parts and easily make my $$ back.
Nick

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »
Norm...

Amish???

Or just out of house with electricity?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
or a cummins powered horse buggy.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »
Ok, I might have a line on a getrag 360 out of a W250 from a first gen, not sure of the year. Truck only had 115k miles (allegedly) before being parted out. Wants $750 for it. Going to keep that in mind moving forward, cause if this trans is toast, it'd be a lot easier to just swap in this one than to rebuild the other, and probably only a bit more cost. This is all assuming this new getrag is OK.
Nick

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
I could see Norm going Amish....NOT

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 12:48:54 PM »

Ms Kay would never go for that,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Assuming that used Getrag checks out that's a good price. I have a almost brand new one on a pallet I have turned down North of $1500 for quite a few times now. I should sell it as I don't see me using it really...but I haven't tripped over it enough yet LoLI

Ken....... Amish is a goal LoL 

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Assuming that used Getrag checks out that's a good price. I have a almost brand new one on a pallet I have turned down North of $1500 for quite a few times now. I should sell it as I don't see me using it really...but I haven't tripped over it enough yet LoLI

What should a guy look for when checking out a getrag? Pop the top cover off, look for any play in anything, any chipped teeth, etc? I would suppose without taking the whole darn thing apart and inspecting every bearing, gear, shaft and ring you're really just rolling the dice.
Nick

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »

And one other thing: P.O. said he did have the transmission rebuilt way back in the day because the original design didn't give it enough fluid to keep everything lubricated, and with the rebuild they put in some new upgraded version with an extra hole somewhere that kept everything good and lubed up and also required roughly a quart more oil. This ring any bells to you?
Nick

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »
Doesn't look like I will be picking the truck up today, maybe tomorrow or later this week. He lives in a limited cell service area and as such getting a hold of him is tough, and as well he's busy busy with tending to his farm, which is all understandable. I shot him a message on the forum he initially contacted me on and so he should get back to me here in a bit.

In the meantime, here's what he originally messaged me about the tranny issue:

The tranny is a easy fix actually.There is a pin that holds your shifting forks in place.The pin hole is worn and the pin dropped out and was lost.The truck has to be manually shifted as it is stuck in 2 gears and a new pin put in with jb weld and it is good to go.The truck has not been started in a over year,was intending to fix it as it is my feed truck and bird shooting truck as I am a fish farmer.The tranny can be fixed without dropping it.

:shocked:
Nick

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »

Ms Kay would never go for that,,,,,,,,,,

I'm picturing Miss Kay and a big block in a horse drawn cart.....talk about a sleeper! :shocked:

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
Truck is now mine and is behind my house. Surprisingly, the only hiccup of the entire day was the bank machine giving me issues when I was trying to withdraw the purchase funds. The first bank machine I went to was out of money. The second bank machine I stopped by at made me withdraw the money $200 at a time, despite saying I could withdraw a maximum of $1,000? Bizarre. Whatever.

Loading the trailer was quick and simple. He had a large tracked Kubota skid steer with an 8' snow removal bucket. Simply picked up the rear end while I was steering it onto the trailer. All said and done, entire process took maybe 10 minutes from time of arrival to time of having the trailer loaded and truck strapped on.

I did experience some worry on the ride home. My trailer is a simple 16' x 7' with tandem 3500 lb axles, and I don't know what the trailer empty weighs, but I would ballpark it in the 1100 lb range. That leaves 5900 lbs for load capacity, which I was either way over or really dancing with the line of. I genuinely don't have a clue how much these old girls weigh, but I know just the Cummins by itself weighs a good 1100 lbs, and I would sure be shocked if the rest of the truck weighed under 4800 lbs, especially with that big steel 130 gal auxiliary fuel tank in the bed and probably 200 lbs of random dirt/debris.

To further my worries, I'm suspicious that my trailer brakes were even working worth a darn. I could hear them engaging, but they didn't even slow the truck with it in drive with my foot off the truck's brake and manually enabling the trailer brakes off of the controller. So before I move anything else heavy with this trailer, I'll have to check into that. But that's all a song for another time, I babied the load home and all is fine.

Pictures:

(ignore my pale white arm, I had to hold on to lean far enough back to get a decent photo of the interior)

I got this picture of the frame. I'll get more after a pressure wash job. Overall I didn't see any immediate cracks, but with the quarter inch thick layer of dirt coating the undercarriage it would be foolish to assume anything until it's cleaned up.
Nick

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »
That looks more like a total body change. Great pictures and a cool tank.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Agreed. Truthfully, I'm leaning more towards just selling it to someone who wants the drive train/parts. My main issue is space. The more I think about it, the more I realize I just really don't have a good place to work on it. It will not fit into the garage, which is around the front of the house, and in the backyard it's all rocks or dirt to lay, and transporting tools over will be a giant PITA.

I do love how easy it starts, though. Put the key in, wait three seconds for the grid heater, turn the key and it fires up instantly. Very cool.
Nick

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
Wonder it takes to import that into the states.... Probably too much.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »
Probably cheaper to drive down, say it was junked and bus/fly back.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:35 AM »
Lol. Current plan is to evaluate what is going on with the transmission. If I can get it going without having to do a full rebuild, and then the truck otherwise is in fair working condition, I might drive 'er a little bit for the summer. That's given the steering and brakes aren't totally cooked. The steering box was leaking so much oil it was literally just an mud caked ball in the front of the engine bay.

The rusted out body is strangely starting to grow on me. It's just weight reduction to help pump up it's load capacity  :cool:
Nick

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 12:26:51 AM »
I think my W250 weighed in at 5850 with an automatic. They do not weigh very much at all. By comparison my Silvy 2500 weighed 8700!
Norm can advise better than I, but area of usual cracking is around the steering gearbox I believe. My frame with 171,000 miles was not cracked.

Cab will be cracked up in the cowl area and bears stripping it down to make those repairs to prevent water infiltration. Rocker are not hard, you can fix those in a day.

Wash it and lets see what you have going on.

Oh, Dana 70 rear. My money says it's in bad shape. Have seen few of them survive intact. Mine was trashed!

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 01:06:41 AM »
Well, with any given luck, judging by the amount of diesel/gear oil/motor oil that has leaked around the steering box area, it should be practically rust free. Lol.

I'll hook up my pressure washer tomorrow and see what I can get off.
Nick

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
If by some strange stroke of luck that diff ID tag is legible after the pressure washing, post up the BOM# if you have the 3.07 gears the housing is pretty useless for anything else but, and cross your fingers the gears are good because they don't exist anymore other than possibly Norm's barn. BOM# will be a 7 digit ID similar to this: 60xxxx-x
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
It was bought as a tow rig so he might have lower gears. On the down side there eating univ might indicate he has highway gears.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
87-93.5 have a solid chance of being Dana 61 front and D70 rear w/ 3.07, especially with the manual trans. they did all the gear reduction in the transmission and left the diff gears tall for top gear and hwy.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
Your the expert (sans Norm), I was using logic,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
Your the expert (sans Norm), I was using logic,,,,,,,,,,,,

You would've probably been fine had Dodge used logic when they set these drivetrains up!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
i thought they quit with the 3.07 dana 61/71s when they bumped it from a 3 speed auto to 4 speed auto (91.5) and kept the manual 5 speeds. could be wrong. but my guess is dana 60/70 with 3.54s.

i suppose time will tell.. and a good cleaning.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
Could very well be, I just have a habit of hitting the brakes when I see anything in that year range and verifying everything because I've had so many assumptions bite me in the rear.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
what about finding another similar age one with a gasser but one with a body in better shape.....swap the Cummins to it....put the gasser in this one and sell it for a field truck. Might not cost you that much net (or who knows....at the right price come out really lowering your cost) and then you have the Cummins without having to do a ton of body work.

See how handy I am with your money and your time!  :cheesy:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
i thought they quit with the 3.07 dana 61/71s when they bumped it from a 3 speed auto to 4 speed auto (91.5) and kept the manual 5 speeds. could be wrong. but my guess is dana 60/70 with 3.54s.

i suppose time will tell.. and a good cleaning.
This is where my money is!

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »
Truck is still on the trailer. It will remain there until I clean the interior and get at least some of the stench of mouse crap out of it so a guy doesn't want to yack while checking out the tranny. If the tranny is a simple fix as suggested by Mr. Farmer, I'll haul it over to my buddy's shop so he can get 'er done. If it isn't, I'll roll it off the trailer and take the transmission out.

With the undercarriage easily accessible on the trailer, I took advantage of the opportunity and got my pressure washer going a little bit. Pictures incoming.

Some before:

Like I said, some good ol' rust proofing happening there!

And some after:

These numbers were stamped on the driver side frame above the front tire. Any ideas what they indicate? In case they are not legible, the numbers are 5208043 and 2 S 090 2

Got hitch? Truck does not have a fifth wheel or gooseneck plate that I saw, so on the bright side at least he probably wasn't towing that heavy with it, or at least he wasn't hooking up his 40' tri axle GN and strapping 30k lbs to it.

Parking brake? Who needs it?

Back in the good ol' days before this lubricity-poor ULSD. I do wonder how modern diesel affects these old fuel systems. I assume not good.

Along the fuel tank on the driver's side frame rail. Seemed to be OK.

I wonder which came first, the rust or the valve, because the rust provides a convenient spot to access the shutoff valve for the gravity fed aux tank.

I will try to check the diffs in a bit. The BOM# is located on the long tube on the front, correct? What about the back?
Nick

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »
somewhere around the front pinion is going to be stamped 60 or 61. and the rear will either be a 71 (3.07 gears) or 70 (3.54-4.10). but the embossed 60/61 will be ~3/4" tall. frame really doesn't look that bad at all. i'm in on the gasser body swap.

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »
Gotcha. It's too wet and dirty to lay down underneath near the pinion, but on the front diff cover there were the following numbers:

(Couldn't identify the first #) 67288 I think.
Nick

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 09:58:58 PM »
I'm sure the tags are rusted and gone but usually held on by the cover bolts. Also, 6" to the right of the covers on both housings will be stamped on the tubing. 61xxxx-x for the front, 60xxxx-x for the rear. Sometimes wire brush, elbow grease, and then a little wipe down with light motor oil and a flashlight will make the numbers pop.

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:09 PM »
Couldn't find anything in that spot.

Put the vaccum to work.

-------

I assume there should be a pin in there?

Nick

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
Ah heck, that's the pin he was talking about? Just shove a pin in there (you can make one real easy like) and slide that hose clamp back up there to keep it in place (that's why the clamp was put on there in the first place..hillbilly fix)

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 12:15:07 AM »
Yep. I will look at it more tomorrow, as I have ran out of daylight.

Another problem has invariably popped up, however. When I bought it, the key needed a bit of jiggling to get in all of the way. I took the key out and put it back in probably 3 times yesterday, each time just needing a bit of jiggling to get it in. Today I put the key in, jiggle it a bit, it goes in all the way, but wouldn't let me turn the ignition. I then took the key out, tried putting it back in and it only lets me go 3/4 the way in, no matter how much jiggling and moving around I give it. Tried moving the steering wheel left to right a little bit, nothing. Even on a whim tried turning it in all the different tilt steering positions. Nada. Will try to jimmy around in it with a smaller flathead screwdriver tomorrow, seems like something is just stuck or something.
Nick

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2017, 03:20:33 AM »
Just run a bolt through that thing. New switch can be more than 20$ and no interlocks on that ol thing.

You should be able to run the vin and get the gears or maybe the build sheet is in the glovebox, if you dare open it,

Going fishing the am guys, bought a 3 kayak today. Hoping Ice House will yeild some nice ones this time of year. Staying until Wed, but have good cell up there (near rubicon entrance)

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal