Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bow and Crossbow pic thread  (Read 10169 times)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Bow and Crossbow pic thread
« on: November 24, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
I know we have some archery aficionados out there. So here's a thread for you to show what you use, and spread the knowledge.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Bow and Crossbow pic thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
I think Ashley or Dwayne might be the local experts, but I'll post some pics later. I love archery.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
I have a Recurve breakdown from Cabelas and just got a Barnett Raptor Crossbow from them. I am no expert by they are fun to shoot and the boys have recurves too.

Got the recurve for keeping in the truck. Haven't shot it yet but have a fishing setup for it too. Done shooting on/off through the years and scouting with my kids gives me more hands on. We even had a disc shoot in camp and I hit that dang thing!

Crossbow I got for range and accuracy. Comes with a scope but looking a adding a reflex to it. Uses 20 in half moon bolts.

I grab a couple pack of hunting tips at wally from time to time. Hard to beat for $7. They also have a nice 3 pin fiber optic site for $10.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
Here's my favorite bow. It's a Liberty  (not bowtech), proclaimed as the smallest, lightest, and fastest for its size :

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
Btw I texted Ash to come on this thread & post up but he's being a weenie. I can say that because he has the time to comment on my wife's fb page but not show up here. Time to gossip with the girls n all.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
Btw I texted Ash to come on this thread & post up but he's being a weenie. I can say that because he has the time to comment on my wife's fb page but not show up here. Time to gossip with the girls n all.

I was simply calling you out for hiding behind your wife and girls....   ;D

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
Hardly hiding I took the pic...... ::)

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
Well, enough of the gossip....

I currently shoot a Mathews Creed.  All black with red strings.  64lb draw.  I have a Mathews Drenalin on backup.  I purchased it the first year they came out, and hang on to it now for a backup. 

Most all of the bows these days are comparable.  Mathews, Hoyt, and Elite would be the top three imo.  The others are good, Bear has come a long ways, PSE is always solid, Bowtech is good, and so forth. 

I've just always loved a Mathews bow, and after I got to learning about Matt McPherson, the owner and founder of Mathews, I would spend my money no where else.  He is an avid Christian, and he is open and public about it. 

I know that one of the major archery companies puts on the biggest venue once a year in Atalanta I believe.  They charge these bow makers like Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, ect about $250k just to come and have a booth.  Well, Matt McPherson told them that he wasn't going to waste $250k just to have his bows shown off at a venue.  His bows spoke for themselves, and sold themselves.  So, he took the $250k and donated it to a Christian Charity instead...

Do some research and most of the time you can find your answers.  Mathews will always have my business, no matter what. 

I'll attach a few reports on Matt below as proof.... 

http://mattandsherry.com/

Matt and Sherry are owners of Mathews Archery (compound archery bows) and McPherson Guitars (hand crafted acoustic guitars), located in Sparta, WI. Along with being business owners, they are also professional musicians and songwriters and have served as worship leaders in the local church for more than 30 years. From December 2007 – June 2011 they and their worship band led 28 city-wide praise and worship events in downtown La Crosse called CityPrayz. The CityPrayz events gave rise to unity amongst the area churches and helped place a focus on evangelism. Matt & Sherry have recorded several CDs of original music and are involved in missions around the world. They live just outside the La Crosse area and have three sons, an adopted Romanian daughter and her brother, and two grandchildren.

http://mathewsinc.com/27389/mathews-20-years-of-leading-through-innovation-impact-integrity/

McPherson’s desire to further the company’s positive impact around the world was a major part of his decision to develop Lost Camo.

“I got to thinking one day about how the Mathews name has significance in the industry,” he recalls. “Over the years people have asked me if they could use our name on their products. So I started thinking that it would be great if we could create our own camo pattern and then license that camo pattern to select companies who make particular accessories. I realized that, if we did that, that we could have a company that could give 100 percent of its profits to charity. Mathews already donates quite a bit of money, but I can’t donate 100 percent of Mathews’ profits because we have to invest part of the profits back into the company—I have to build buildings and buy machinery and computers and desks. But a company with not much overhead—a company like Lost Camo—would be able to donate its profits.

“So I hired Keith Jennings, who had many years of experience in licensing products. He has the same passion that Sherry and I do for making a difference in the world. Ever since then it’s generated more and more money every year. My wife and I don’t receive a penny from this. It all goes to these things around the world. Mathews still donates the most money, but Lost Camo and the licensing division actually generate several hundred thousand dollars a year that all goes to helping people. Lost Camo gives me another avenue to make a difference around the world.

“The other benefit of Lost Camo and Mathews licensed products is that they help us support our independent retailers. Through this program, our retailers are able to provide unique products that can increase their profitability to their customers. That’s very important to us. Mathews cannot succeed unless its retailers succeed.”

McPherson and Mathews support many different efforts both globally and in the United States. It’s clear that making a difference in the lives of others is incredibly important to McPherson.

“We participate in disaster relief across the United States,” McPherson says. “In India we’ve drilled wells in 15 different cities. We provide for orphanages. We contribute to missionaries. It’s our passion. I know this much—when I die, I’m not going to be thinking that I should have spent more money on myself. I’m sure what I’ll be thinking is that I could have done more. So I work very diligently at trying to stay focused so I can.

Mathews Inc. Donates Additional $250,000.00 to NASP
March 15, 2006 - Joel

Mathews Inc. announced that it would not attend the 2007 Archery Trade Show in Atlanta, Georgia, in order to concentrate more effort in supporting the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP).  However, they continue to be an active member of the Archery Trade Association.

Mathews Inc. has donated over one million dollars in contributions and commitments to NASP and will donate an additional $250,000.00 in 2007.  Mathews Inc. founder and CEO, Matt McPherson, states, “While we will certainly miss seeing everybody in Atlanta, we feel it is vitally important to support the rapidly growing Archery in the Schools Program.  It has proven to have a profound effect on the lives of kids, as well as the future of archery. We want to do everything possible to support the NASP effort.”

The National Archery in the Schools Program is represented in 36 states and in 2005 alone, over 500,000 youngsters participated in the NASP program.  Visit www.nasparchery.com to learn more about NASP or to find out how you may contribute to The National Archery in the Schools Program.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:26 PM »
Nice write up there Ash

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »
Whoa....

Let me get a picture of this, an actual compliment from Shawn....   ;D

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »
Hmm, learned something new. I've always liked Mathews, but now I have a great reason to purchase one. My newest was a bear Attack the wife bought me a few years ago. It won't out shoot that little Liberty tho.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
In case new arrivals don't know, Ash and Shawn are brothers

Sort of

Yea, different mamas and daddys and all that but definitely brothers!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
Whoa....

Let me get a picture of this, an actual compliment from Shawn....   ;D

I musta been feeling under the weather, don't hold it against me.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
^^^Possible indications of street pharmaceutical usage???????

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »

Neg, but have been hitting gym hard and could use something for all these new aches........

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:53 AM »

Neg, but have been hitting gym hard and could use something for all these new aches........

Drink water, change your shocks, take a motrin, suck it up... oh wait sorry had a flashback.

I found a banana, and a protein shake mixed with skim milk helped. Chocolate milk also helps.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 04:09:45 AM »
1 picture,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
that's usually the progression after Shawn and I get involved with a thread JR....

Somehow, it deviates completely astray from its original intentions, but hey, it makes for a few good laughs along the way....

Now you see why Don has banned Shawn and I from communicating anything on his build thread other than a topic concerning his build thread...   :-X

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
I did???
Hmmm, old age...must'a forgot
Well, it's been werkin out OK, so we'll just leave you two banned!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Bringing up an old thread...
I threw a Leupold range finder on the little Liberty bow in preparation for the upcoming hunt Monday. Should make life a bit easier.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
Ken, looking  at the photo, I think there is room for a small GPS/ guidance system, heat/blood sensor, and coffee mug  on the bow.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Ken, looking  at the photo, I think there is room for a small GPS/ guidance system, heat/blood sensor, and coffee mug  on the bow.

Bob, I hear ya! I thought bow hunting was for those guys that wanted a challenge. At this point these hunters might as well strap a gps locator on the deers hind end and sit behind their laptop using a drone to shoot the deer. Maybe we ought to start a field dressing service for these guys. We'll go get it, dress it and drop it off to the butcher for ya. Then you can show up in your mandels and Hawaiian shirt bragging to your friends..........

BTW, I give Ashley crap all the time about using cameras too so they can track the deers movements. Call me a purist I guess. :popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
:Facepalm

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Back up a few posts, and you can see back in 2015 I was banning Shawn!

Some things never change!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »

I think you tried to ban him over on that other Forum even before RMTW existed?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »

I think you tried to ban him over on that other Forum even before RMTW existed?

Let’s clarify something here. First Don was not the first to ban me. Actually it was Mr. Teegardin (yes same last name no relation though) assistant principle of East Noble High School Kendallville, In. I was causing issues in his opinion after school in the parking lot with some rather large and older football players. I gained my first concussion from those fellows btw. Then a local Walmart & countless bar owners banned me. After I came to know Don that other forum banned me several times in one day under a few different user names. So the reality is Don is way down the list of people & places that have banned me. This is really nothing new for the record.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »
^^^ Yea what he said

And I got banned from that site myself!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 11:15:03 PM »
^^^ Yea what he said

How or why did you get banned? Sorry, never heard this story. If it makes any difference Ken wanted to ban you from here but I had to explain that wasn’t possible to that knucklehead...... :popcorn:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »
God gave me opposable thumbs for a reason. I feel no need to give a deer a fighting chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
God gave me opposable thumbs for a reason. I feel no need to give a deer a fighting chance

If so use a rifle.......

The idea of using a bow (being a more difficult skill set) then to make it easier is lost on me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
^ exactly.  Killed a Nilgai from 550 yards with a 300 WM. Had coffee in a tumbler on my shooting mat. Bipod and 22x scope.  My kind of hunting. 

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Your bow makes mine look a little antiquated and low tech. No sights, no release, no kills to date, I wonder if any of that is related. Bear whitetail II purchased brand new in 1987.  Used it for competition shooting in the Ramstein archery club while I was over there. I really need to get something newer that is a little easier on the shoulder and eyes.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »
Your bow makes mine look a little antiquated and low tech. No sights, no release, no kills to date, I wonder if any of that is related. Bear whitetail II purchased brand new in 1987.  Used it for competition shooting in the Ramstein archery club while I was over there. I really need to get something newer that is a little easier on the shoulder and eyes.

My first was a $99 special, Martin lynx xrg circa 1990 back when you didn’t have the cabelas or gander mountain stores but you could magazine order & they sent out quarterly catalogs, I was 12....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:15:28 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »
^^^ Yea what he said

How or why did you get banned? Sorry, never heard this story. If it makes any difference Ken wanted to ban you from here but I had to explain that wasn’t possible to that knucklehead...... :popcorn:
Now that would be somethin'

A man gettin banned from his own site!

Well, that begs the question, is this really Don's site?

I'm pretty darned sure I am paying the bills for it, so that might be a part of it

Oh yea, I own this couple of acres of ciber-land.

But I don't think that is enough to claim ownership of this little oasis in this godless secular interweb.

And what is this site aside of the software that props it all up?

Why, it is all of you. You are this site. This site is conversation. It is an exchange of ideas (Not well focused, granted, but things get around here) It is shared victories, joys, concern, worry, and heartache. Sort of sounds like a metaphor for life doesn't it?

So who owns any of that? Well anytime I don't know the answer I just say, "God's in charge, God did it, God, has this, God's doing something that only makes sense to him... or something like that

So is that saying that a bunch of this daily interaction is God's hand visibly showin' up in the lives of a bunch of menses? Could be.

well, yea. Seems like it to this slightly used Warrant Officer.

Witness JR just a wee bit ago. He is concerned about a spot in his son's eye. Now consider this for a second...Who did he come to? Who did he ask for prayer from? I'll wager a fresh off the griddle crab cake that he wouldn't give anything that important to someone he doesn't trust, ya wit me? YEa, so he came to us because, although never having met most of us, he KNOWS that we will pray for him. He knows through his Christian education that in times we need to turn to our King and petition him with prayer.

He trusts the eyesight and health of his son, in part to all of you. Feel humbled? Well I certainly see why.

So back to the question, who owns this site? I think I made it fairly clear, it aient me. Darned sure you boneheads don't, at least not as long as my Visa gets debited all the time...

I'd suggest that the real owner is the one who started all this and made all this happen in the first place. I'd have to say that God owns it, Jesus commands it, and the spirit moves through the pages of this place making it what it is.

And Shawn, if you want to try and ban the real owner, well, give me a second to get about 100 feet away from you first, lightening makes a pretty big mess of things when it hits em!

Ken, if this doesn't shut that boy down a bit, then I don't know what will!

Oh yea, the peeps over at D-Max forum made it impossible for me to log in. That was pretty strange considering I created and owned the two largest and most active threads on that site at one time

But after looking over the landscape I see here, I'm pretty glad they did!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:08:46 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 07:35:23 PM »
Fine, I'll put some pictures up as proof that I'm all about this bow hunting business...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 07:38:31 PM »
Who taught you to use photoshop?   :wink: :popcorn:

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
Guess you got to stand on your head to view that second one....  oh well

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 07:43:14 PM »
Who taught you to use photoshop?   :wink: :popcorn:

You did of course...   :knucklehead:

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »
not even javelina are safe...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
I'll pull more off my backup hard drive at another time...  These were just a couple...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »
Real Men hunt with Knifes, pictures attached
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:30:07 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »
So is the trick to stand way back to make it look big? Anyway, not bad dear at all.

Did your dogs get to that last pig? We have some pretty big ones here at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, love to get one sometime.

Oh, and all that blood with the last pic offends me  :facepalm: (not)

Nice work guys!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »
Ash has been quiet for quite a while, then BAM....makes me feel about """"this"""" tall. I'm still 0 and 30 with a bow, for deer. Depressing I tell ya.

That being said, post some more up!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
Some boyz at my church want to go down to my farm and do a bit of bow hunting after church Sunday...Hope they don't take out the old angry doe. She will stand there and stomp and snort at me while I'm working the field she wants to be in.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
So is the trick to stand way back to make it look big? Anyway, not bad dear at all.

Did your dogs get to that last pig? We have some pretty big ones here at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, love to get one sometime.

Oh, and all that blood with the last pic offends me  :facepalm: (not)

Nice work guys!

JR, this was on the big Island in Hawaii, the dogs are used to run the pig down and then corner in an area where you can do the necessary adjustment to shorting its life span.  This boar was right around 200lbs.  You have to get the rear legs out from under the pig and then you can get it on its side.

One person dose carry a handgun but this was done 100% with a knife, its so close quarters in there its really hard to take a shot safely, I have done many hunts on the big island as I spent a lot of time over there. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:04:37 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Phil, very interesting!  :likebutton:

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »
Added note, only reason I took a picture with this pig is this one almost got me!  They are VERY smart and they know to go for the groin area of a human, they know how to use those tuskers.  its not for the faint of heart they do not go quietly into the night!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
My buddy used to hunt them the same up in near Berryessa, little to much for me at the time. Heck we can't use dogs now, not PC.

Bet those little tusks would hurt something awful in that area, well anywhere.

That was some good meat though. Nice work!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
Honestly thought you just threw up a pic off the internet Phil, to ruffle some feathers..
Pretty cool....I bet that got your heart pumpin' !!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 07:42:33 PM »
Negative, that would be me!  In Hawaii the pigs are an invasive species you are allowed to hunt them 24/7 365 days a year and no limit, same goes for goats, they let the Army clowns use them for target practice a couple times a year over there from the air I might add.

Without the dogs I would not do it, my uncles that were in Vietnam told me how bad the jungles were I did not understand util I went on my first Pig Hunt in Hawaii

JR after you dress them their is not much left a lot of structure in Pigs, i think it was 40-50lbs of smoked meat for this one, then you just cut off the lower jaw.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal