VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

OverLanding Camper Build

(1/360) > >>

Flyin6:
Let's get started on a brand new project. Last year I built my 2002 Suburban 2500 into an overlander with some tactical aspects. I created it with a roof top tent to be able to haul my boys and I around on various trips. Unfortunately, because of ongoing endless build problems, mostly electrical, I did not make the departure gate for that trip. We were all to sleep either in the back of the Burb or in the rooftop tent.

Back at the start of that project, I envisioned completing that trip somewhat smarter about what we needed and incorporate those lessons into a overland trailer created from a surplus Army 1011 HMMV trailer. Initially, I was just thinking I'd fit it out with water, more stuff and move the roof top tent to it and drive on. But while researching that I began to notice the teardrop type campers that people were building specifically for off roading. That peaked my interest. You know, blank sheet of paper sort of thing...Just build everything I ever wanted into a smaller camper and mount that on a robust frame and suspension with some big truck style off road tires.

Back then I stumbled across a rather brilliant young engineer also hailing from Kentucky who built a really cool overland camper and published vids and even plans of his excellent work and design. Link below:

https://www.facebook.com/Shawneehillswoodworking/

So, I watched his vids, then ordered the plans which I downloaded and studied. Then I got started on Sketchup on some designs based around the basic size and concept of Wes's design and came up with this initial concept shown below

Flyin6:
That was only a starting point. I liked the shape, but the idea of walking around back to get to the vittles was not making it with me. That's when I shook up the design to one that had a cooking area and pantry built into the drivers side that just flips open. In its initial incarnation, it looked like this:

Flyin6:
Taking that design, I stretched it 16", designed in an integral water tank, and added some features that yielded useable interior space. The camper will have a queen size bunk that converts into a sofa in 30 seconds and even with it stretched out will still afford some floor space to stand, sit or if a potty is in there, talk to a man about a horse!

I think I'll utilize The Wes designed outside foldable shower just because it is one trick and great design. Notice that I added a box to the front of my design that on the drivers side will house a cooler/frig, and a 2.5K generator on the other side. In the middle will be two 6VDC batteries recharged by either the generator or a solar panel. The roof will raise to give plenty of standing room and even open up a spot for an additional person to crash. The roof opening mechanism will differ from the one in the Wes design to be simpler and more robust. Not digging on the Wes design at all, I just want mine a bit more robust.

wyorunner:
That is quite the undertaking! Checkout wander the west they have several rebuild and a handful of from scratch builds. All kinds of camper info. And of course expedition overland.

Flyin6:
I'll take a look...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version