Hello Guest

Author Topic: Polaris Ranger fuel pump replacement/upgrade  (Read 2821 times)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Polaris Ranger fuel pump replacement/upgrade
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
I purchased a used 2009 Polaris Ranger 700XP in October of 2016. My dad bought it in 2009 with just a few hours on it and for the next 7 years it was his most used piece of machinery. The original owner was a Polaris employee and he added the roof, windshield, wheels, and tires before it left the dealership.

In October of 2015 he traded it for a 2016 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FX.

Someone bought the Ranger the day after dad traded it in and kept it for a year, almost to the day. They only put 15 hours on it and decided it wasn't what they needed so I headed to Arkansas and brought it home. My bad luck started almost immediately.

Once home, I gave it a good once over before putting it to work in the foothills of the Appalachians.

Years of farm use had the radiator gunked full of dust and seed. Removing the front bumper gives better access to both the radiator and the front differential fill plug.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:26:00 AM by longball »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Polaris Ranger fuel pump replacement/upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
After a couple months of use I started noticing an intermittent rough idle and the occasional smell of gas and light smoke coming from the exhaust while riding. The spark plugs were a little dark so I changed them out and that seemed to help but only for a short time. Then I read about wires inside of the temperature and barometric pressure sensor plug breaking and causing them to run rich. otbpowersports has an upgraded harness so I got one headed my way. Although I felt better about having a more robust plug installed, it didn't fix the problem.

Eventually one cylinder completely shut down and it popped an error code 51. Polarisatvforums.com has 51 listed as:

51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to battery
~Code 51 is the driver side cylinder
~Code 52 is the passenger side cylinder

Based on a dealership's recommendation I replaced both injectors and injector harnesses.

When that didn't work I swapped sides with the injector harnesses and the code 51 remained so I knew, or thought I knew, I was dealing with wiring from the harness to the ECM. After hours of separating the harness and testing wires I couldn't find anything wrong. While exploring other possibilities I broke a spark plug wire so I ordered two new ones, along with a new air filter and air box seal. Strangely, when I was replacing the air filter I found a bunch of oil/gunk inside the airbox.

I went through several set of plugs during this process. After 5 minutes of riding they would look like this:

At this point I turned to prcforum for some advice. An individual who goes by jungleman advised me to test fuel pressure at the fuel rail and the voltage to the throttle position sensor. The fuel pressure should be 39psi +/- 2psi and the TPS voltage should be between .650-.660

Now, thanks to jungleman, we're getting somewhere. I couldn't get my machine to break 10psi.

Voltage to the TPS was also way off.

Time for a fuel pump...

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »
Any update
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »
Any update
Apologies for the delay. Something else has been taking up my time the last couple weeks. I'll get back to it shortly.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »
Cuteness overload, can't look away.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Back to it.
Polaris says that the fuel pump on these Rangers are "non-serviceable" and must be replaced as a whole unit (pump + fuel tank) for $550. Luckily, highflowfuel.com has a solution for less than $100.

This is everything that comes with the kit.

Left to right: regulator, pump, large particle filter, tank gasket.

You will also need a small section of submersible fuel line (I think 3/8" but I will have to check later to make sure). This will be used to delete one of the internal filters because there is no replacement. It is easier and more practical to install an inline filter outside of the tank.

To replace the pump the tank needs to come out of the machine. All it takes to remove the tank is to disconnect the fuel line and power to the pump (located on top of the tank), and remove 4-6 bolts that hold it in.

Tank removed

After Removing the large nut seen in the picture above, the pump assembly can be rotated and lifted out of the tank. The pump itself is located inside of the white housing. The black canister just above that is another filter, of which there is no replacement available. 

The bottom of the pump housing helps hold the large particle filter on and can be removed by lightly prying on three tabs.

Removing it reveals this small keeper which has to be removed as well. I couldn't get mine off without damaging it but the new kit comes with a replacement.

Now comes to the hardest part. Separating the pump housing from the black canister filter. It looks like it will be an easy process but it is not. I ended up wedging a small flat screwdriver underneath one of the tabs and managed to hold it in place while prying the other two off at the same time. For those that just skimmed over that last part, that was three tasks, each needing at least one hand, done simultaneously. If I had a friend close by I would've bribed them to come over and help.

Once that is done, unplug the harness that plugs into the top of the pump.

Then remove the regulator. That spring clip is stout and I would highly recommend a pair of safety glasses.

To my recollection, this is the point you can slide the pump housing and black canister filter off of the rest of the assembly.

This small wire is attached to the black canister filter. It will not be reused to it can just be tied out of the way.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:00:16 PM by longball »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
Time for reassembly.

New regulator installed.

The submersible fuel line needs to be cut to 3".

The 3" fuel line can then be attached to the new pump. Note: There is not enough room for the line to be attached to the new pump with a standard hose clamp. I reused one of the clamps that came off of the original pump.

The pump is then inserted through the bottom of the housing and attached to the regulator.

I didn't take a picture but the next step is to reattach the new large particle filter and the bottom of the housing. I only completed this step half way before reinstalling the assembly back into the tank. 10 minutes later I saw this sitting on my bench.

Had to pull the assembly back out of the tank to finish the job right.

The only thing left is to install the inline fuel filter between the tank and the fuel rail.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:40:56 PM »
Well, for that much is forgiven!

And look, you still got some done.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:42:05 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal