Hello Guest

Author Topic: You know your kids are growing up...  (Read 2658 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
You know your kids are growing up...
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
When they are old enough to ride in the front seat for the first time.....

Man,  it just hit me today riding into town with my youngest sitting in the front seat with me.

A new chapter.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: You know your kids are growing up...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:50:48 PM »
My oldest just received her learners permit. For several hours tonight all three were gone. Two at a concert in the park and the oldest baby sitting. We're down to 6 years and they're all out of the house.

The discussion turned to what remote place we will be moving to when the time comes. Wyoming keeps making the list as does Idaho or even Montana. We're visiting vast expanses if all 3 this summer so we will be taking inventory.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »
I'd lean towards Idaho. One of the few remote places with adequate rainfall to support crops with out additional irrigation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
I grew up in a small town in Wyoming, Thermopolis to be exact, and wife and I have frequently talked about making a forever home in Cody Wyoming, which is a little over an hour north west of Thermopolis. As time goes by, I realize that if we move back north for a forever home it may end up being in Montana....TRN makes a pretty good point about rain though. However, Thermopolis has had more so far this year than they did in the entire year last year. And LOTS of snow! Which you are probably used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
My old man lived in Jackson hole for several years back in the early 70's. He also lived in Boulder co for a couple of years which is 15 min west of me currently. So in a screwed up way I was kinda thinking Jackson hole (which we are staying in for a night next month).

The reality is we want less people, small ranch / farm as my wife grew up with horses & so far I've kept the lawn ornaments at bay but for a slower life I'd be ok with a couple. My grandad had them on his farm as well so I'm more familiar then I care to be in a money conscious viewpoint. Anyhow that is our vision of the future, slow pace & neighbors I can see coming for awhile before I have to speak to them.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
Jackson is ok, of you're driving through it. It is the largest collection of libtards in WY, and sadly they have made a significant amount of land expensive. Sure is beautiful though.

A farm/ranch is part of that 'forever' home wife and and I dream about. Being that we move so often we just accept that a forever home is something we LOTS of time to dream about and figure out.

We currently just have 4 acres, but you can't hit the house (singular) to the north or west, or houses to the east with a rock. They're about 300yds away. It has made us really loathe close quarter houses like we had in GA.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
reviving an old thread because you couldn't have said it better TX. Finishing SECOND grade and looks like a darned teenager.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 11:19:01 AM »
reviving an old thread because you couldn't have said it better TX. Finishing SECOND grade and looks like a darned teenager.
You’ll have no trouble telling the difference..You’ll think an alien abducted her when she turns 13

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »
I'm more afraid of 10. all the women turned into demons in my family at that age...

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Either age, as it always seems to happen no matter how they have been brought up. Just have a notebook for them to use because they will need to take notes while they still know everything.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
Bob, that’s the funniest thing Ive heard in a long time.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »
When the proper ground work has been laid, ALL of the trials of growing up (physical, mental & behavioral) become more ripples than jarring bumps.  TRN is right, that first ride in the front seat makes you realize how fast time flies - and how little is left before they switch sides of the car with you!  :shocked:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
When the proper ground work has been laid, ALL of the trials of growing up (physical, mental & behavioral) become more ripples than jarring bumps.  TRN is right, that first ride in the front seat makes you realize how fast time flies - and how little is left before they switch sides of the car with you!  :shocked:
Man- do I feel that at the moment. I am looking right at a new lieutenant and I guess, private right now. Inside 4 years they both will be gone, less than two for the long one. And with going straight into the Armee, enlisted style, as a grunt, heck, I won't see him for a couple years, then just periodically. Unless I get used to travelling to Korea, Syria, Afghanistan, Rumania, Poland, or who knows where...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
Well, it appears my oldest who will graduate high school this coming year is not going away for college (at the moment at least). Her priorities are being able to still attend and volunteer at our church, going to a school that focuses on school and not partying (at the moment a local private Christian college in Lakewood fits the bill) and family close. Hard to argue with that, only thing I can come up with is not being able to tailgate at UNC football games..... :facepalm: hardly an argument I suppose.

With that said second in line is a toss up at moment (her mouth and the devil music as I call it she listens too is none too impressive at the moment). You hearing this Don? Most stubborn strong willed kid I have and that’s saying something in our family..... Still a work in progress with that middle child!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
What is considered devil music?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
Second vote.   What is devil music?   

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »
I'm thinkin it's that darned rap music. Middle child would be me but I'm the only boy. my next younger sister got that middle child syndrome thing Shawn, and I don't envy you. that's where the 10 yrs old thing comes from for me.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
Oh.   You mean when I got in my daughters car a while back and I sang every word to Sir Mixalot to her ?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
^^^ call me shocked ^^^
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »
Yeah, it’s profanity laced rap music. The lyrics would make a sailor blush.....

It gets better, I called her out on it and admitted I listened to crap when I was her age. Doesn’t make it right but I get it. So fast forward a little in the conversation and I’m on her about her lack of church attendance of any form meaning actual service, youth group, volunteering etc. so she then tells me she reads her bible daily. Ok, so what book and chapter you on exactly? Answers genesis, couldn’t help but laugh out loud at that one mom did too for the record. Apparently she reads slow.....  :popcorn:

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
1. I hate, just abhor that noise (Mistakenly) called music

2. My oldest pre-ranger is still two years from graduating. He is adamant about not going to a university, but getting his Army career started. He plans to depart home 2 weeks after graduation.

Is there a possibility of her waiting until he is marryin' age??

Pretty please??

In all seriousness, I am and have been very proud of that girl. She is a stand up kid, just happy that young people like her are still around. Good job and kudos to you and your wife...good job.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
My oldest just received her learners permit. For several hours tonight all three were gone. Two at a concert in the park and the oldest baby sitting. We're down to 6 years and they're all out of the house.

The discussion turned to what remote place we will be moving to when the time comes. Wyoming keeps making the list as does Idaho or even Montana. We're visiting vast expanses if all 3 this summer so we will be taking inventory.

Did you make that trip? icr...or was this before you decided to build where you are now?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
Dang ken, you pulled that one from way back.....lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 07:18:35 PM »

Did you make that trip? icr...or was this before you decided to build where you are now?

Yeah Ken this was way back! We did make that trip and it was before we moved / built house and moved my mom here. Discussion has turned a little, it’s now buy property and cabin within 3 hours drive preferably 2. So that’s NE, WY, CO or NM. I dislike KS and NE truth be told so they’re not really on radar.....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 10:06:08 PM »
I knew it was a few posts back but according to tapatalk I never read this thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal