Hello Guest

Author Topic: Possible turbulence ahead  (Read 371 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Possible turbulence ahead
« on: December 09, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »
I want to advise the folks who visit Real-Man Truck Works and Survival of some upcoming issues.

Apparently, the company I chose to host us many years ago has been purchased by a larger company. This company does not enjoy a stellar rating amongst the websites it now hosts. About a month ago I received an email explaining that the hosting company we have always used was in the process of migrating some (All?) of its forums from the two reliable hosting centers or servers to a central facility in Provo, Utah. Historically, some of the forums which have been migrated have experienced some difficulties thereafter.

Now, there is no way to accurately predict just how this migration may or may not affect the day-to-day performance of Real-Man, but it may, and starting fairly soon. To that end, I am reaching out to some other hosting companies for an evaluation. I am also exploring the possibility of self-hosting and or moving the website to a server close by, in Cincinnati.

My hope is that whatever happens, it will affect us very little. I am concerned that cost could be a factor. So, standby for another standby, I will share information as it becomes available. Hopefully, we can move Real-Man to someplace that I can afford that has security, and seamless operations similar to what we have enjoyed for years.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Possible turbulence ahead
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 11:13:45 AM »
I just went thru this with my site. Minimal cost (non from server company) as I had to have my two tech guys who oversee things for me do some basic tasks. Site was down for a day or so before I realized it. Mainly me not paying close attention to server company emails.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal