Hello Guest

Author Topic: i need a tomato expert  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
i need a tomato expert
« on: June 11, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
who on here is a tomato growing expert?  i am having some issues with a plant and need help.

the first picture is the brand of plant that i got...its supposed to grow these huge 2-3lb tomatoes.

the second picture is what i gave the plant a drink of when i transplanted it from the little grow pot to the huge 20 gal pot that it sits in now.

pictures 3 and 4 are of the leaves and what is really concerning me.  all of the leaves seem to have shriveled and look as they are about dead/in shock but have some life left in them because they are still pretty green.

pic 5 is of a few of the leaves at the base of the plant, and the yellow spots are of concern as well.

picture 6 is of the 1 tomato that has grown so far...not sure if that is what its supposed to look like or if something has gotten up in there???

when I got the plant, repotted it and put it out, we got hit with a pretty good amount of rain.  I made sure that I had good drain holes in the bottom of the pot just because I didn't intentionally wanted to make sure that "I" didnt cause root rot because the pot and soil retained too much moisture.  also, it gets full sun from about noon until it sets in the evening.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: i need a tomato expert
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
2nd pic from bottom, thought the yellow was a sign of too much water?

Sorry Nate, been a few years since we had a large garden and too much water isn’t an issue here in hippyland.

Too much fertilizer can be an issue too. I probably would not have used that stuff. Transplant then watch and react as necessary.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:09:30 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »
Nate. Hard to tell from pics. Two things. Tomatoes need consistency in watering and moisture.
Those leaves and fruit tend to tell me you have some nutrient issues.

Tell us about the soil? Any additives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:49:07 PM »
Looks like too much water. My parents could grow great tomatoes, even in our hot summers, but they didn't pass their green thumbs down to me.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:25:42 PM »
2nd pic from bottom, thought the yellow was a sign of too much water?

Sorry Nate, been a few years since we had a large garden and too much water isn’t an issue here in hippyland.

Too much fertilizer can be an issue too. I probably would not have used that stuff. Transplant then watch and react as necessary.

That fertilizer is not really a fertilizer such as that miracle grow crap, it is specifically designed to prevent root shock from re-potting.  The plant was re-potted approx 27-28 apr 2019, it was watered regularly and grew very well, up until we started getting our late spring monsoon.   

Nate. Hard to tell from pics. Two things. Tomatoes need consistency in watering and moisture.
Those leaves and fruit tend to tell me you have some nutrient issues.

Tell us about the soil? Any additives?

It was watered very consistently, until as stated above.

The soil is a vegetable specific soil with some additional compost mixed into it.  It was specifically recommended by the plant expert at the university of nebraska lincoln horticulture sponsored plant sale.

Looks like too much water. My parents could grow great tomatoes, even in our hot summers, but they didn't pass their green thumbs down to me.

I have been doing some googlefu, and i am thinking that may be one of the issues....my biggest concern is root rot, based on the amount of water that we have gotten recently.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:27:04 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
Have you seen these tomato plants?
No soil, no water just these black boxes with tomato’s.   From what I have seen the employees are amazing growers.  Maybe ask them what they do to grow them?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »
Nate, you may be on to something...

My grandmother would only water garden with rain water. They had catch buckets on all downspouts at farm.

So you were watering from a hose? City water then went received monsoon. Different water source and probably too much from monsoon.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
i need a tomato expert
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
That tomato has signs of two things wrong, but only one I recognize, too much water. It appears like it has absorbed way to much water and it burst its skin then healed, which is the brown line you see.

The black holes, some kind of rot. Which I would think you’d see before it got to the tomato.

http://www.desperategardener.com/2011/07/tomato-tuesday-too-much-water-or-not.html?m=1

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/tell-tomato-plant-overwatered-20962.html

Pull the whole plant gently, add some gravel/sticks/straw underneath your soil.

You definitely have an over water problem. Give it a couple days without watering. Or longer if it rains.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:42:12 PM by wyorunner »

Offline CLEMON

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
I would cut back on the watering and give it some fertilizer. not miraclegrow. that has too much nitorgen and will just produce more leaves. get some bonemeal from lowes. it has phosphorous which promotes growing tomatoes. mortgage lifters will sometime produce tomatoes like that. i think its due to inconsistent watering. if you arent going to eat it, cut it off. the plant will put it efforts into growing it instead of new ones.

also, looks like it might be calcium deficient, pick some up from lowes as well. trim the leaves that are resting against the ground.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:36:10 PM by CLEMON »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:31:54 PM »
You can also crush your eggshells up and scatter them around the plants.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal