Hello Guest

Author Topic: Mini Sermon 7: Does God punish you? Is it a good thing?  (Read 430 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mini Sermon 7: Does God punish you? Is it a good thing?
« on: April 21, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
Mini Sermon 7: Does God punish you? Is it a good thing?

Does God punish you? Do you get angry with him when he does?

Well for me the answer is yes and yes. And what if I told you there is a silver, (Actually a gold) lining in all of that? Yep its true and I’m gonna prove it to you. Our God the father is exactly that. He is a father. He is the father of your father and every father in existence. He created every momma, and he’s their father as well. Unlike this dad (Me) who forgets to sign notes from his boy’s teachers, forgets about upcoming games and a myriad of other things, the big father in the sky doesn’t miss a detail. Nope, knows every hair on your head! (Luke 12:7)

Dads are not always your buddy. They try to be but when you cross a line they have set down, they often hold that line which then places you on the offender column. That may be an unpleasant place. Depending on your age it may involve a spanking, or a time out or giving up the car keys for a week or two. The manner of punishment changes, but the fact that you just got body slammed by the big authority figure never changed. From then to now a good father is consistent.

A godly father tries to stay connected to his father in heaven so that he will know the boundaries, gain in wisdom, and be a fair adjudicator of justice. Would we even need laws and police and even a military of fathers were all Godly, and they all did their job? Think about it. So right there I have identified a failing in human fathers, but that’s not news we see it on every street corner, and in most homes across this land.

But remember I started off saying there was a silver lining to when God punishes us. Assuming you were called by him and invited to accept his son, and you now live with Jesus as your one and only king, well then you are part of God’s system of justice. If you cross a line or continue to do so, he may in time punish you. His term for the act is to “Chasten” you. Chasten and punish are roughly the same thing. The act stings and sets you on notice that you just crossed a line which the Father does not like. It invites us to make a heading correction to get back on course and back into the good graces of a loving father. Remember that a loving father is not always your buddy, but he always has your back. He always wants you to make the right call, take the right road, and choose the correct course of action. That’s a guy I like to call “Coach.” In my military mind, life is not meant to be easy. Easy is for, well, now that I’ve given up cussing, I am struggling to find a word. But taking the easy road is not for men of courage, for the warrior clan if you will allow.

This isn’t meant to be long, but only to show you something and that is found in Hebrews 12:4-9

Hebrews 12:4-9 4In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, "My son, do not make light of the LORD's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, 6 because the LORD disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son." 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined-and everyone undergoes discipline-then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live!

Look carefully at what verse 6 says: 6 because the LORD disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son

Get this: He accepts you as a son! And where exactly does God live? Say it, say: Heaven. YES HEAVEN!!!!! And that is the place where the streets are made of what??? Say: Gold. You see the old Warrant Officer has a point here. If God took the time to whack you, he did it because he knows you are one of his and therefore you can see proof, even in the midst of sin, that he has your back, and your eternal destination is a really great place with a friend in the name of Jesus, and reigned over by our eternal Father, God himself

Yea, I’m liking that. Takes a bit of the snap out of that sting I received just two days ago for strayin’ when I should have been sailing a true course. Yes Sir, Father God, I got that, Please forgive me sir, I’m back reporting for duty…again!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal