Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 114309 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #500 on: January 12, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
Oh, they eliminate the needle...makes sense

.. but they're actually boring the hub that's pressed into the main bearing...easy.. much softer steel
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:00:22 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:59 PM »
Oh, they eliminate the needle...makes sense

.. but they're actually boring the hub that's pressed into the main bearing...easy.. much softer steel

Ken, you ever take apart one of those unit bearings? Looks like a spanner wrench and you can undo them and repack them.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 13, 2018, 12:36:53 AM »
Ok, so lets switch gears or into tires specifically.

When I started acquiring pieces and parts I was thinking 39-40" tire. Then the more I thought about it the 38" tire seemed to be a better fit since once you go over that the more drastic you need to get into suspension and trimming etc on the body and fenders.

I started researching these 38" tires and part of my criteria is to keep non beadlock wheels per unit cost reasonable in case I destroy one. At the end of the day this JK is a tool in my mind, a point A to B tool and well tools break occasionally. Wheels are not worth $300 each to destroy when a $100 unit will destroy just the same and carry the tire from A to B if you follow my logic? I'm cheap so reasonable to me is $150 or less and $100 is even better.

Then once you look at the small amount of 38" tires available and varying costs of those & you still need to decide wheel size. Now here is another criteria that limits us, the mount pattern of 5 on 5.5 is limiting on reasonable priced wheels. I really like 16" wheels, I'm a bit old school and I like a lot of rubber on my tires in relation to the rim and airing down for real world off road use that sidewall if tough enough will give you traction. However, 16" wheels are not reasonable really for that mount pattern.

Long story short after all of this deciphering 17" wheels and 37" tires are in abundance and in the world of supply and demand they have reasonable options and many. So here I find myself with a JK that will be sporting 17" wheels and 37" tires. So wheels, well those will come after we decide what tire.

Researching tires, many options all basically the same. From dick cepek to pro comp to cooper etc. & they are all fine and dandy except for those darn BFG KM2's they still suck. Then I come across my old friend in a new updated version at a price I (recall I am cheap) can hardly resist.

http://www.intercotire.com/tire/148

in 37 x 12 x 17R

So me and this tire have history, it's like that one friend you have not hunted with since you were teenagers and you bump into him at the gas station getting coffee on opening morning deer season 20 years later. It's gunna be real hard to drink that coffee and leave without him.

My EB originally had 36" SX's on it that I traded something for, they were cheap (perfect right?) and were a great off road tire. They have a bit of an attitude on the pavement but nothing a seasoned guy can't deal with.

So after writing all of this I think my mind is made up & DOT approved for those commies who make me do emissions tests occasionally. :beercheers:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:41:07 AM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 13, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
Heck yeah, swampers FTW !!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 13, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
Heck yeah, swampers FTW !!!

A true 37” tire too (at least that is what four wheel parts website claims)!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 13, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
Yeah, those won't make any noise on road.....

Better upgrade the stereo
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 13, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »

Remember HE'S CHEAP!  Besides, it won't be enough to silence the WHINE of the Colorado Tree Huggers he'll be offending by sporting such wanton waste of resources driving his jacked-up, souped-up Jeep!  He might just want to actually hear their sniffles and the squeaks of their cork soled Berkenstocks as the Snowflakes rock back and forth sobbing in horror as he drives by!   :likebutton:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 13, 2018, 11:50:45 AM »

It’s a Jeep.......

Road noise is part of the experience, I love how these yuppies out here add sound deadening / insulation to the hard top roof panels to make it more “landroverish”. I have a friend who I will call a “yuppie wheeler” who is too good for swampers and said you don’t need that “type” of tire for Colorado. I’m old school a bit, this Jeep build is a like a wedding. A mix of old tech and new, the swampers are just old school cool imo. Add that & I don’t care what most think & well there ya go! :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:08:37 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 13, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »

Remember HE'S CHEAP!  Besides, it won't be enough to silence the WHINE of the Colorado Tree Huggers he'll be offending by sporting such wanton waste of resources driving his jacked-up, souped-up Jeep!  He might just want to actually hear their sniffles and the squeaks of their cork soled Berkenstocks as the Snowflakes rock back and forth sobbing in horror as he drives by!   :likebutton:

Yeah, wait until I take this over to downtown boulder..... :tongue:

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
Well if "yuppie wheeler" doesn't like it they sound perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 13, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »
Mudders are combat proven as well

Our SF teams in the stan ran those and Coopers needing something better than the goodie year kevlar tires.

That is saying a lot. SF dudes don't run in packs. Lone wolf stuff, so they may literally be betting their lives on that tire. To say they trust them is, indeed making a statement as to that tire's durability, traction, and dependability

Myself: Hate em!

Like bolting on four cinder blocks with sharpened/hardened corners
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 13, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
You & Charles related? Trying to talk me out of them already?  :tongue:

I’ll admit, I’m on the fence a bit. I want them but not sure a stock jk coil spring type suspension ie: bushings etc will hold up to these rough riding beasts. I definitely would not put them on the F150 but I’m wondering if a radial irok wouldn’t run a tad smoother & get the same performance result?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:25 PM »
Wrong. I’m not trying to talk you out of them. Just an observation.  Remember the only person that has to be happy is the one that writes the check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »
Wrong. I’m not trying to talk you out of them. Just an observation.  Remember the only person that has to be happy is the one that writes the check.

So you’re not related? Copy! :wink:

Ok, so I reached out to our own Mark from National Tire and Wheel earlier. That guy is on it and replied to a PM here the same day I sent it which was today a Saturday even.

So he burst my bubble, they (NTW) no longer carry the sxII’s due to balancing & quality issues as these are built in China. I knew Interco back during the recession they had outsourced a lot overseas so not much of a surprise really. So I’m leaning on his first hand knowledge to help me find a good tire. We’ll see what his thoughts are on the subject. Keep you all posted.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
I heard that!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »

So you’re not related? Copy! :wink:

Ok, so I reached out to our own Mark from National Tire and Wheel earlier. That guy is on it and replied to a PM here the same day I sent it which was today a Saturday even.

So he burst my bubble, they (NTW) no longer carry the sxII’s due to balancing & quality issues as these are built in China. I knew Interco back during the recession they had outsourced a lot overseas so not much of a surprise really. So I’m leaning on his first hand knowledge to help me find a good tire. We’ll see what his thoughts are on the subject. Keep you all posted.
You know, there BFG's are working out OK at the moment. I think I got a bad one, but after rotation, it was a different truck. Traction is really good on my rig, and yesterday/today I got to drive them on ice and snow. They did great. Now, they are definitely wearing pretty fast, but for now, are riding quite well...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 13, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Maybe Mark will chime in, I don’t think it’s any coincidence that you, Ken & I have all had issues with those tires. Pretty certain we all had different sizes even, mine were a 16” wheel and around a 34” diameter whatever that works out to?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
That's a shame on the swampers. The radial and siped version is pretty quiet. That's what is on my 73 gmc but must be the first version (been on the truck 10 years) 36" on 16s.
Don must be thinking of the original tsl biased version... yeah they where horrible on the road

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2018, 10:24:13 PM »
Just me but I would lean towards a radial. With the jeep being light and using it on the street it would be better handling. Plus the newer radials are so much better than anything 20 years ago when we all head about the swamper (type) street manners.

I had Mickey Thompsons on my 77 Sierra (36/14-15?) and loved em
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
So after Marks last message I inquired about the irok radials & his latest statement was that they are a much better tire in every aspect & American made to boot. As such they stock tons of them.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 14, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »
Sounds like a sale

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 14, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
Sounds like a sale

Potentially, Mark will definitely get a quote/last look on it when I pull the trigger in next month or so.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 14, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
I vote some super swamper bloggers!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 14, 2018, 03:20:34 PM »
I vote some super swamper bloggers!

I had 37” cut boggers on my eb before I parted it out & moved to hippy land. I cut every small lug off of them...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #524 on: January 14, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
When I was in high school we found a cheap set of 33x15.... put them on the 15 wide wheels and over inflated them for burn out purposes.  It was a riot driving on them like a wash board road

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 18, 2018, 11:17:59 AM »
I've been running 36x13.50r15 IROK radials on my CJ for about 8 years, and they're not bad. A little slick on ice, but they tackle everything else well. Sidewalls are really tough, and stiff enough that I've run 2lbs of pressure (without beadlocks) off road and never lost a bead. On the highway, there's a little whine, but not much. They're about as loud as the BFG Mud Terrains I had years ago. They ride smooth, too.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
I've been running 36x13.50r15 IROK radials on my CJ for about 8 years, and they're not bad. A little slick on ice, but they tackle everything else well. Sidewalls are really tough, and stiff enough that I've run 2lbs of pressure (without beadlocks) off road and never lost a bead. On the highway, there's a little whine, but not much. They're about as loud as the BFG Mud Terrains I had years ago. They ride smooth, too.

Great feedback / info, thank you!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 18, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »

Great feedback / info, thank you!

That's what we're here for, right? LOL
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »
from a former tire guy, get the IROKs. sipe the center lugs for a little ice/wet pavement improvement but leave the outer lugs whole. they'll run like a noisy all terrain.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
from a former tire guy, get the IROKs. sipe the center lugs for a little ice/wet pavement improvement but leave the outer lugs whole. they'll run like a noisy all terrain.

Good info, I still have my tire grooving iron.....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
Never siped on road tires but our alcohol super stock dirt cars got siped a lot on the outer tread

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »
I siped my Toyo Open Country tires and they have worked really well on the road, ice, and snow. No cupping at all of the lugs. Tires are loud though. I rotate every 5K and have about 38K miles on them right now.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
Never siped on road tires but our alcohol super stock dirt cars got siped a lot on the outer tread

Charles, you were a dirt track guy? I knew I liked you...... :beercheers:

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
That’s two of us, three if you played Shawn - nothing accentuates the flavor of high octane racing gasoline, exhaust and fine clay dust like Bourbon!  Kinda like fresh burnt gunpowder!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
I ran the pit crew and wrenched. And regulated pit fights after on track incidents.  I’ve done a few laps but never had my own car. I was trying to hire on as a driver in a sprint car but wasn’t good enough.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »
Drove a Sprint car once on a closed track....... The scene from Star Wars when they go to lightspeed is exactly what I saw in my little tunnel vision when you hit the gas down the straightaway!   Was awesome to do alone on the track-wouldn’t want to do it with 19 of my closest fellow lunatics though!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
That’s two of us, three if you played Shawn - nothing accentuates the flavor of high octane racing gasoline, exhaust and fine clay dust like Bourbon!  Kinda like fresh burnt gunpowder!

I’ve never raced a sanctioned event that I can recall? I’ve worked many pits from dirt track to off road koh type races & in between. KOH was probably the biggest show I was ever a part of really.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
and that steering wheel in your waist with that flat bus like steering angle was weird.    i was soooo scared I was going to wreck someone else s car.  if it had been mine I proably would have cut 3/4 second off my lap times.

I knew all too well what the aluminum wing on the top cost....

Now, having said that, getting up close and personal with the outlaw cars was un real.  Those things are like fighter jets

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »
I’d pay good money for an hour on a bare track in one of those outlaw winged sprint cars. That just looks like so much fun!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:38 AM »
Hck, all I ever got to do do was a little demo derby. Pitting was fun, big hammers and get moving.

I got asked to do a little off road racing, but didn't bite. Only having 3 wheels on the ground around corners was fun.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 26, 2018, 07:05:43 AM »
When I did it, the car was bicycling in the turns (on 2 outside wheels) so I was told to GO FASTER, I did and damned if it didn’t slap down tight and slide like it should - wing needed more flow to work!  The brakes are basically there for LOOKS!  Would do it again in a heartbeat ALONE on the track, racing one with others is like taping $100 bills all over your body and running through a crowd of Hillary voters!  You aren’t going to finish a race without loosing a few at best; most likely loosing everyone of them!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 26, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »
Demo derby’s are always a good time, I worked pits on a combine demo derby once. We used a backhoe and portable welder to put heads back on so they could run more heats.......

Key was knocking rear axle out from under them.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
I ran the 38"ssx on my 3/4 ton chevy.  Loved them.  Drove well and weren't that loud.  Always did like the Irok's.  Never bolted a set on, but had every intention to.  Oh well, not much help from me, as usual...

Keep up the good work.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 05, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
Shawn..who dat ? ^^^^

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 05, 2018, 09:04:46 PM »
Shawn..who dat ? ^^^^

My long lost brother from another mother!

He used to help me wreck, er I mean DOT up Dons build threads, but he’s too busy in retirement now to help with such things.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:09:40 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 05, 2018, 09:16:30 PM »
I thought he sounded familiar but his post was.. like...so mature!
Still waiting for him to come out here and show me how to shoot a buck with a bow.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »
I thought he sounded familiar but his post was.. like...so mature!
Still waiting for him to come out here and show me how to shoot a buck with a bow.

Must be under the weather, I hear that flu bug is going around......

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
Don probably banned him and he's taken his punishment seriously.........time to re-instate him Don!  :facepalm:

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 05, 2018, 09:53:43 PM »
Nah, flu bug hit our area severely...  Had 1,200 deaths in Texas last week alone.  That's just one week.  So, been rough.  All is good here though.  I'm the only one in the family that got hit with the flu. 

Other than that, just loving life, my family, and my job.  And the occasional visit with Shawn via text... 

I learned a long time ago that Shawn was more than able to pick up the slack for me on these threads... 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »
Not that school or other shootings aren't important and tragic, but there is deafening silence about other losses of life that are preventable like the flu deaths, 90,000 deaths per year in the hospital due to medication errors, and more than 250,000 per year due to medical errors.

But since they have a bed wetting fear of guns that is what gets the most attention.....

DOT over...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal