FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

Cooler that doesn't break the bank

<< < (2/15) > >>

Nate:
so let me ask this JR,

exactly what are you wanting to use the cooler for and what is it that you are truly expecting to get out of it?

KensAuto:
RTIC, and Sportsman...those 2 are less than half of a Yeti . I never spent more than 50 on a cooler until I got the sportsman (Sams club) and don't have any regrets.
Drinks will slush up in 100* weather....my other coolers wouldn't do that

JR:
For uses, I go with the scouts for 3-7 days and like to keep a cooler with stuff for us so we don't have to buy or can get in we hours without going anywhere.

I have only used regular coolers with blocks and high end purple ice. But 3 days is pushing it. It also stays in the back of the truck, so in the hot shade per say.

I did see the Rtic's and wondered. I also just got a little 12v cooler size fridge I am going to try out. Only holds about 8 ltrs, but if it works I can rotate.

Nate:
I have read a few threads on this exact discussion over on the bbq brethren site, and this is what I have come to figure out.

RTIC, ORCA, YETTI, PELICAN and any of the others that are just like them are all made the same way with the same materials.  you are basically paying for a name per sey.  they all will hold ice for about the same amount of time (give or take a few hours......does that really matter?) given you keep them in shaded areas, are not going in and out of them every few minutes, etc, etc. 

now just a matter of liking from nate, if I was ever to be in the market for something like those, I would be leaning really heavily towards the pelican line.  why?  a couple of reasons.  1. with seeing and using regular pelican cases for many years in the ARMY and seeing just how well they handle the abuse, that would make it a no brainer for me..........?  2. the latch and the seal system on the pelicans just seem to be a way better design.

I have used and had pretty good success (2 days worth) from both coleman and igloo coolers while traveling the many miles of road in Iraq as well as the triple digit temps.  the one that truly stood out to me more than anything was the metal coleman ones.  they took the abuse better and there for didn't get all warped, cracked, etc like the other ones did.

another thing you may want to try for extending the length and temp (making it colder) of the ice is ICE CREAM SALT.  I have done this many of times and have been able to extend the time to another day maybe 2........?!  but you have to be careful! if you add too much, you will literally freeze what ever it is that you have in the cooler.  the one and only down side to this method is that you have to wash the salt off of things once the ice starts to thaw a bit.

just my $.02 

Sammconn:
I've been running the Coleman extreme's with fairly good luck. I have three different ones, and all will make 4-7 days, but not as hot as you, more high 80's to mid 90's. It always depends on what is in them and how often opened. One summer, had 6 dozen lobster in one, shelled packed and frozen. Drove from east coast home, 7 or 8 days and it was all still solid once home. But it was not opened the whole time other than a frost check on day five.
The 7 day one is better than the 6 and 5, like one would thing should be he case, even though they appear to be the same there must be a difference somewhere in the foam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version