Hello Guest

Author Topic: The great Circular Saw debate  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
The great Circular Saw debate
« on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »
Ok guys, I'm trying to figure out which route to go with a new or used circular saw.

I have my 18v DeWalt 6.5" left side blade that i absolutely love, and works great for small jobs/projects. But bigger stuff, battery kills productivity.

I had a Skil worm drive, but damn those things are heavy. Traded it off to a buddy.

I want to get a bigger 7.25" corded saw, and i'm thinking of getting a Left side blade circ saw. Saw the Bosch left hand blade and this is the leading contender at the moment.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMDBIE/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1A4T94JQFEXFZ1SZM8BZ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop

I just feel like having the blade on the left where i can see my but better is a big benefit over a regular circ saw with right side blade configuration.

What do you guys think? What's your preference?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:15:14 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: The great Circular Saw debate
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
I cant comment really on this to much, because I had acquired the model before this one (6460) during one of my deployments.  this bastard is big, weighs a bit, but will not let a man down.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6470-21
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
I cant comment really on this to much, because I had acquired the model before this one (6460) during one of my deployments.  this bastard is big, weighs a bit, but will not let a man down.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6470-21

10" circ is a beast. Will definitely get the job done... and build ya some forearms
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
Hard to go wrong with bosch imho. I personally have a skil titanium worm, but it is still heavy. I also have a porter cable that works great.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
I think this is what you need:

16-5/16" saw.  :o

I am a fan of worm drives....yeah they're heavy but they seem to last longer. Ultimately it comes down to how much you need it/use it. There are lots of good machines. I have never used a left sided blade. It might make for better cuts but I would have to re-learn it I guess....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »
I have a makita 7 1/4 reg right side in a nice case. I bought it at a refurb tool store in TN, was always told buy refurb if you can because they are less expensive normally & rebuilt by one technician versus a production line. I've had it for years & it keeps on ticking.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:12:38 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
I have used a couple of the battery powered left handed ones.  I think they give a better view of what you are doing for shorter cuts.  When ripping longer pieces/ cutting plywood etc the right hand saws are setup to keep the base of the saw on the material you are cutting I think.

I have all Milwaukee tools for the most part.  No problems with any of them and would recommend them.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
I have a porter cable that is still going strong after 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »
I own a Dewalt 7 1/4" corded saw. Haw served me well since the 90's
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
The real debate for me is left vs right side blade...
NRA Life Member

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »
I have a Bosch that doesn't have a cord.  It has a male plug that you use a regular extinction cord with.   Nothing like a 100' cord on you saw.  It is a great saw.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
I have a Bosch that doesn't have a cord.  It has a male plug that you use a regular extinction cord with.   Nothing like a 100' cord on you saw.  It is a great saw.

Does it lock in somehow?  Any problems with it coming unplugged while making a cut.  I could see it being nice not having the plug there being able to get caught on a corner or something while making a cut.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »

I've only really seen the left handed saws common on the smaller cordless saws.  I wonder if the larger saws might throw a little more saw dust at you making it more difficult to see/cut.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 04:10:19 PM »
It does have a clip.  I have only had the cord pull out when someone tried to pull the cord by the saw.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »

I've only really seen the left handed saws common on the smaller cordless saws.  I wonder if the larger saws might throw a little more saw dust at you making it more difficult to see/cut.

Same here, and that's what i'm wondering. My dad has a skil circ saw i use, with right side blade. But i love my cordless DeWalt with the blade on the left as i can see the line much easier. But you raise a good point, a full size blade is going to throw more dust right at ya with a left side blade
NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »
Not that it's much help....but I have a Craftsman that has cut dozens of cars into pieces and built some brick walls....it almost never cuts wood LoL I have got my $85 out of it anyway. I did finally buy a demo saw...and now I hardly scarp cars, go figure.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
Well one of the drivers for this is that i am getting ready to do the concrete caps on my retaining wall, and renting a wet saw at 80 bucks for the day might not make as much sense as buying a new circ saw with a diamond masonry blade... at least then I'll have something to show for my 80 bucks when the project is done.

I'd have to flip and cut both sides with the circ since the caps are 3" thick, rather than one cut with the wet saw, but at least i wouldn't just be blowing money on the rental...
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
...i am getting ready to do the concrete caps on my retaining wall,

Have fun with that, and I'm glad I'm too far away to help!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
Save yourself the headache and rent the wet saw unless you're talking about only cutting a half dozen pieces imo........

& I agree with Ken for once

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
Save yourself the headache and rent the wet saw unless you're talking about only cutting a half dozen pieces imo........

& I agree with Ken for once
...i am getting ready to do the concrete caps on my retaining wall,

Have fun with that, and I'm glad I'm too far away to help!

Ohhh fine... Prob 15 pieces needing cut... Would be a heck of a dust cloud for sure... Was going to set up a box fan on my cutting station LOL
NRA Life Member

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
I used my circ saw with the diamond blade to cut a bunch of concrete in my basement last summer.  I was surprised with how fast and easy it cut.  There was a lot of dust though.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 10:48:30 PM »
Lots of dust when dry!

On the left vs right, I have both and never realized the difference. My left is cordless, and the rights are corded. Also not sure I've seen a left with a cord. I'm a southpaw and find the left blade easier, not sure if that matters. And maybe that's why I prefer it too come to think of it.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »
I went outside and counted my cuts tonight and it's over 20, so I'll be renting the wet saw.

But still want a new circ saw!

NRA Life Member

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 08:01:43 AM »
I have 2 friends that are carpenters. At one time or another we had them out helping build stuff on the farm. They both use Milwaukee. They both also said do not buy tools from big box stores. Menard's or home depot etc.  Go to a actual tool store. We have a tool depot here. They cost more but last longer.  They both claim that if you take 2 identical saws. One from big box store and one from a real tool store. The one from the tool store will out last the the other every time.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
I have 2 friends that are carpenters. At one time or another we had them out helping build stuff on the farm. They both use Milwaukee. They both also said do not buy tools from big box stores. Menard's or home depot etc.  Go to a actual tool store. We have a tool depot here. They cost more but last longer.  They both claim that if you take 2 identical saws. One from big box store and one from a real tool store. The one from the tool store will out last the the other every time.

^^^^^THIS! Smaller tool stores tools have always outlasted big box in my experience. I still have my dad's worm drive skill, and I've gone through one in 3 years or less from new production. I think big box buys lesser quality versions to keep costs down or something, but they just seem to be less sturdy.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »
I agree, have always bought from independent tool stores or my local tool salesmen that used to frequent our production shop.

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »
I have saws from both Craftsman and RIDGID, both are awesome pieces of equipment.  I am actually a huge fan of the HD line...surprisingly well built and holds up to commercial level use from my father in his construction business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 09:39:44 PM »
Good info, thanks!

NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
The great Circular Saw debate
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »
I will second the motion to avoid box store tools if at all possible ( if you plan on passing tools down the your kids that it)
I have a brother in law who works for Stanley black and decker, the company owns abut three other brands also.   I am a dewalt guy and the gears and drive system on a homedepo dewalt stuff is almost all plastics. They weigh less and wear out faster

As for the saw adventure I have always rd preferred that heavy skill saw you traded.  They last forever, you can drop it from a three story roof and it will keep going.   The worm drives I think give a better torque curve more so then the direct drives.  Which are usually your right side blades.   Plus the added visibility.   

Raising boys into RealMen!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:32:05 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
I saw that the new Skilsaw worm mag light weight weighs in at a cool 11.5 lbs! might have to save up for one of those...

NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Well... reviving this old thread. It has taken me this long to answer the question for myself. I had purchased a new saw awhile back, and hate it.

Here's what i bought months ago:

I just can't get used to a right blade. Hate not being able to see the cut. Going to sell it.

Ended up ordering one of the new Mag77 lightweight from the previous post. Will post pics when it arrives!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:21:17 AM by Dawg25385 »
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
Hold it in your LEFT hand......rocket scientists!  ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »
I think the longer heavier saws are much easier to cut the line, not the surrounding area of the marks, but then I am not a wood worker.....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal