Hello Guest

Author Topic: Inglewood Allison Trans Rebuild "Roadtrip"  (Read 822 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Inglewood Allison Trans Rebuild "Roadtrip"
« on: November 14, 2020, 05:30:18 PM »
Linked this to my Dmax thread but thought this deserved its own.

I now have 205k on the 2006 Dmax that has been my daily driver since new. Still runs great, but the tune needs addressing. I have limped the tranny a couple times and sometimes it slips/chatters pulling in the Sierras. I have little to complain about really. But I also had the infamous pump rump leak.

After reading about how people have used Inglewood Transmission (MikeL) https://inglewoodtransmission.com/jm1/  in other forums and feedback from BigDave here, I bit the bullet, took the roadtrip and had it done. Figured why pay the same local for who knows what build, or get a prebuilt tranny and deal with the swap when I get a known outcome for a $100 of fuel?

It was arranged to do it on a Friday after we talked a couple times to verify parts and such. So I made the 6 hour drive south and was there before it opened at 0800. Mike showed up around 0630 as I tried to grab a little sleep out front. But trains, homeless and nerves would not allow me any shuteye.

Went in just after 0700, introduced myself and we hit it right off. He was scanning the web for election news and would be a happy addition here!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:59:20 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Inglewood Allison Trans Rebuild "Roadtrip"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
Shop was filled with what you might expect. Lots of parts, twin turbo trucks and his toy Hellcat (his normal ride is a Z71 gasser). Shop looks used with no fancy "show" trucks, I liked it! This 1 prerunner style dmax caught my eye. It had that take me out "play" look. It sits low, has a twin turbo setup and is even plated.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
My Dmax got thrown up on the lift and the guys pulled the tranny in about an hour.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
Every bet what the shop looked like four years ago. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
Noticed the driveshaft had the paint rubbed off, not even, no scoring but we could find where it was rubbing. Figure it was something I picked up at the Ridge or there abouts.

I did have a small water leak off the heater core line that I need to address. Wish I could have put my downpipe on while here, look at the access!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 05:52:02 PM »
So the teardown and rebuild began. I took a couple pics but no secret stuff. 2 sets of clutches were burned a little and several springs were bad in the valve body (I did have a transgo installed)

Watching the tech do his thing you could tell it was 2nd nature to him. He flipped tools, checked clearances and cleaned everything. I finally pulled up a chair when I wasn't talking to Mike, even caught a little nap.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
Since the tcase was out, it got addressed too. I had the pump rub through which is common with this run of Dmax trucks. Couple times I sealed it with epoxy, filled it oil and kept saying I was going to fix it.

Clip was broken obviously. He got a new rear case and added his rub plate to it. Inspected to rest of the case and buttoned it back up.

He uses GOEREND triple disc billet torque converter built to his specs and flushes the system. We would have installed a new Seatrab cooler, but was out of stock (have one comming next week)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:06:23 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »
That was really about it. It was now around 1500 and they put it all back in.

Guess I need airbags and springs too. My overloads sit right on the stock springs now. I have deavers for it already and the bags should keep them from sagging and take the load off when towing.

Dropped it down after greasing the rear uni which is going bad after I changed it a few months back. Mike recommended solid spicer uni's.

We took it out and drove around for the basic break in (damn it seems rough). Said it will get better in a few days.

Noticed on the drive home the temp was up about 20f more than normal. However it was back to the regular reading by the time I was home (did clunk once or twice)

Now, how does it feel? You can feel it pull differently now. Even with the stock tune I could spin the rears at around 20mph (I have 35in tires with 4:56 gears and a Yukon Posi) Mike said he could feel the posi too, got some squealing in a few turns.

Towing will be the big test though. I will make a run up the next weekend. Besides the tracks and buckets, my neighbor has a small car he wants me to run up there. Its cool right now but summer will be here soon enough and I have lots of stuff to take to the Ridge.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »
Good deal JR.  I heard that built tranny run hotter from the increased line pressure, but I’m no trans guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »
I fight mine with heat also, but after this summer I solved my problem, I changed my gauges to not read trans temp lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal