Hello Guest

Author Topic: Zero turn mowers  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Zero turn mowers
« on: April 24, 2020, 09:20:43 PM »
Who has them?

What do you like about the one you have?

Why did you pick that mower over another?

What do you think is a mid grade price to look?

Kabota has some pretty decent looking mowers but to be honest I have used the exact same Honda walk behind mower for all my life.  Honda mowers are fantastic until you spend three hours mowing one yard. 

Thanks in advance for info.

No ponds in my yard so no floatation needed,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Zero turn mowers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:24:14 PM »
I had a toro 60” commercial unit, 7 years zero issues outside of routine maintenance.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
Do you think the 60’ is worth the extra vs a 48’ 52’.   Lots of sizes I am seeing.  Anything over 36 I’ll have to open a car gate anyway.

The bigger the mower the more space it will take up in my garage also

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
I have a Scag 32 HP, 61" cut commercial unit which is now 8 years old
Cuts like pelosi tryin' to speak truthfully!

I have had several. A Deere: Do not buy a Deere

Had a commercial Toro: Good mower, just stay big/commercial

Ex-Mark and Scag are the best longest lasting, biggest/strongest of everything.

Whatever you buy, do not buy a small happy homeowner model. Stay with commercial models. Then buy one you can live with for a long time, cause, you're gonna own it a long time

Plan on 11K - 12K ish

Also, they are pure crap mowing slopes
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:51:53 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »
Do you think the 60’ is worth the extra vs a 48’ 52’.   Lots of sizes I am seeing.  Anything over 36 I’ll have to open a car gate anyway.

The bigger the mower the more space it will take up in my garage also

I was mowing acres Dave so if you’re not you’ll get a better cut with a narrower machine. Go demo several before buying
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 10:43:49 PM »
Don I don’t think the forum is paying out enough as a DOT to drop 12k on a mower this year or next.   

A friend is a golf course equipment sales who does have three upgrade trade in Deere mowers the z950.  About 12k new but he would part with one for 4K he said but that like yours, a big monster!!!  I have 10,000 sq feet of grass not acres like you guys. 

My lean towards a z turn machine is the maneuverability so I don’t have to edge or use the small mower to clean edges.    The lawn tractors are more affordable but they come with the clean up issues

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:51:04 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Zero turn mowers
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 11:45:23 PM »
Commercial zero turn is wayyyy overkill for 10k ft of grass man.

If you’re worried about maneuverability, look at the Deere 4wheel steer models. I have the x354 and it works great. Mows right inside and outside radiuses, excellent at mowing tight circles around trees too. Only downside to 4wheel steer models is it’s difficult to mow straight lines, if that matters to you

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:46:47 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »
Commercial zero turn is wayyyy overkill for 10k ft of grass man.

If you’re worried about maneuverability, look at the Deere 4wheel steer models. I have the x354 and it works great. Mows right inside and outside radiuses, excellent at mowing tight circles around trees too. Only downside to 4wheel steer models is it’s difficult to mow straight lines, if that matters to you

I think post a photo. 

Don you als. Let’s see this 12k mower

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 12:02:08 AM »
I will tomorrow.

And in the 10k plus range, look at a Walker. Not as fast as Don’s skag or an exmark, but out here many of the pros use them.... and they can bag into a rear hopper.

My neighbor bought a Walker T25i (12k’ish) and I bought his almost new x354. He’s got deeper pockets than me!

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Zero turn mowers
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »
I mow about 4 acres of cleared land.  I’m not gentle , meaning I don’t pick up sticks before I mow and I use it like a brush hog at times.  No it doesn’t float but it’s got a good Kawasaki 23ho engine and lifetime guarantee on the deck, which is welded plate and not. Stamped.  125 hours and no issues outside putting it in the pond.(fluids and filter changed and never missed a beat)

It’s a huaqvarna mz52 52 inch and you can plan on about $3500-$4000.  Just don’t buy the ones with the Koehler engine, they are cheaper for a reason. 

4 year warranty or 400 hours. I bought mine because the local dealer is close and a good guy to deal with but I’d buy it again.

If you have slopes, it will tear up your yard. For your yard I’d look at a 46 for maneuverability if you have. Trees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:04:58 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »
Oh, yea, I wasn't thinking a little lawn

I mow big things like 10 acres of farm field and mine and my neighbors yards.

I couldn't help ya, never owned a small yard...

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »

Dave, if you put a rear bagger on a zero turn mower. 1. they do a nice job of catching clippings. 2. You will loose the close trim option, The bags tend to reach out and grab lots of stuff as you are turning while making the first pass around the lawn.
If the grass is dry when you mow you don't tear it up as bad during turns or going uphill. I ran a zero turn in the early 70's doing landscape maintenance for State Highways. Heck of a good mowing system with the ability to do tight loops from the top of the slope to the chainlink fence at the bottom if the grass is wet and you loose traction.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
Remember Dave....
There's a much cheaper way to go.

In about 20 years you might think about this post, when you're all hunched over, trying to fix another sprinkler head....3rd one this month..at least it wasn't the timer this time, or the diaphragm on a valve like 2 months ago, when you took the boys camping and came back home to a swamp... yeah that sucked...

Pondering, Dave says out loud: "should've bought the flotation model after all."

Continuing with his work....

"Maybe I should lower the heads a bit, I'm getting tired of breaking them off, but...if they're too low they get dirt stuck in them... I'll sort this out eventually."

... couple days later

"No nonono!!!!! Gosh dang dog is digging another hole!!! That's it...no more dogs in the back yard. !!
...bad enough i already banned the boys from going outside after coming home to an underground fort/Vietcong tunnel system a week ago... took 2 days to patch that area! Now they're only allowed to play video games and text friends on they're phones!!"

Now for most people, this would be the last straw, but not for Dave. He was assured that this grass would be better than dirt and rock. He could picture it every night while trying to sleep, tossing and turning. "Green is better than brown. Green is better than brown" was the chant coming from the jumping sheep.
He had heard of this miracle called grass from multiple anonymous sources, some with cryptic names like "Texasredneck", or "Nate", people that might feed him the confirmation bias he was so desperately needing at such an important time of his life. "Plant grass and He will come" was one comment. "Without grass your marriage won't last" was another. "Mowers don't float" was the funniest.

I tried to help. I pleaded with Dave, to no avail. He lashed out at his friends and anyone that stood between him and that pallet of sod. I've been here before. When they have that look in their eye there's nothing you can do.

...off to get some more fertilizer, after seeing a few yellow spots from the upper floor of his castle, Dave yells at the sky:

"Why can't I just have a Nice. Green. Yard !!!"
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »
I bought a used Toro Z400 Zmaster Model 74412 48” Kohler SP18 engine when I lived in NJ and mowed 7 acres.

I think I paid around $4k for it with less than a 100 hours on it. My wife uses it like a brush hog and it is a tank. We rebuilt the engine last year after it had over 450 hours on it.

It is powerful and fast. Other than the engine refresh we have replaced blades and belt but other than that very little maintenance other than lube oil and filters.

It will now go with the house to the new owner but I would buy another if I needed one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
Here you go Dave... the inside curves are where the 4 wheel steer makes a big difference. Back wheels kick the deck into the corners. Here’s a couple tight curves i can mow with the rider. I don’t HAVE to edge, but I do. When I only have a short window to mow, I can cut the lawn with mower only and get everything.

Wheel at full lock

It’ll do circles around these trees

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 03:35:19 PM »
Wow beautiful yard Kyle
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 04:44:38 PM »
Kyle does have a nice yard for sure!   How is the retaining wall holding up,

Four wheel turning mower. I’ll go look at those,

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 04:47:53 PM »
Kyle does have a nice yard for sure!   How is the retaining wall holding up,

Four wheel turning mower. I’ll go look at those,

Not sure which one you’re referring to, but neither have moved

NRA Life Member

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 06:39:36 PM »
That grass belongs in the tuck, beautiful as it is!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »
Off to go look at a Deere 925. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 09:41:41 PM »
i just bought a toro titan 54". 

i would go with what TRN said and find a local dealer and buy from them and not a big box store.

toro owns exmark - exmark is made in Beatrice Nebraska and is considered toros commercial line. 

husqvarna outdoor products make the mowers for ariens and ariens commercial line is gravely (ariens is a Wisconsin based company)

brands like scagg, hustler, Kubota, grasshopper etc are all commercial models and you will pay a premium even for a used one.

brands like craftsman, cub cadet, troy built, etc are all made by MTD (which is the largest manufacture of residential outdoor equipment in the world)

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 10:16:20 PM »
Kind of late but I have a 60" Bad boy with the Kawasaki engine love it. This replaced a 48" yard king and cut my mowing time down from 4 hours to right around 2 hours. I have a mostly open yard with a a slight slop. What others have said about not doing well when the grass is wet is very true, I have had to pull the wife out of the ditch once this year. Why would someone drive a mower into standing water? I my 2 cents is what ever you get buy one with a welded vs stamped mower deck

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Well the Deere is a lease return model, he said he would put new tires and a fresh seat and battery on it, 60’ deck.  4K

He will get it cleaned up this week and call me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »
Off to go look at a Deere 925. 

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/manufacturer/john-deere/model-group/925

Must be a different one

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 12:06:16 AM »

Offline CLEMON

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 09:42:17 AM »
FWIW, My parents had a Deere. Not sure which model but I know it was one of the most expensive ones. They kept it for a year and then sold it for an Ex-Mark. They keep telling me how much better the exmark is. 

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 10:47:17 AM »
4k for that 925 should be a steal.  That said I think you might find it will be a bit large for your yard.  It would depend on what you have for landscaping etc...

I'm a product design engineer for Deere.  I have worked solely on mower decks for just shy of a decade now  I helped to put that 42A deck into production and currently own the design control of that family of decks.  I sit with the tractor team that owns the design control of the X354 and the rest of the select series line.  So I do have a bit of experience in this area.

What exactly are your plans for this machine.  Purely lawn mowing?  Do you want to use it for snow removal?  What does your landscaping look like now and do you plan to add any more obstacles to mow around.

A zero turn is great for flat yards, with little to no obsacles to mow around.  They are mowing machines and do not lend themselves well to other functions.  If you have any desire to do snow removal don't get a zero turn.  If you want a prestine looking yard and have a lot of obstacles to mow around I would not recommend a zero turn.  Yes, they turn fast.  But every time you mow around a tree you are dragging the tires in the same spot ever time.  This will lead to bare dirt in those areas eventually. 

Tractor types can work great for mowing also.  They are a little bit slower on ground speed bit if you have a smaller yard or obstacles the full benefit of the faster ground speed isn't really noticed.  If you want to blow or push snow in the winter you want a tractor type.

It seems a 48" deck or there about would be ideal for your size yard.  A flat open yard doesn't matter much.  You will get better results from a bit smaller deck on hills and fitting between objects in some yards.

Those 4 wheel steer units are great.  They feel a bit squirrelly at first but after you drive one for a bit they are quite nice.  They are good for trimming but found them to be especially great at turning and trimming on side hills.

Do not buy any tractor type machine that advertises any type of automatic did lock.  Simply put they don't engage when you want them to and often times engage when you don't want them to.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »
My yard is with in a 2% grade everywhere.
Zero slope,  just enough to run water away from the house.

No trees in the open area, some round boarders.

My thought with the big mower is mostly the pure fact it’s cheap!!!

I do have some neighbors I could probably mow for in my new found free time.

Leaning towards that if I can scrub the cash up from somewhere

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
Mowing pays well. A benjy for a yard cut is not out of line.

I've owned so many John Deere products since I started with them in the mid 1980's.

Deere is NOT the same company it was then. There was a micro economy associated with the brand back then. You didn't lose very much money owning one. Once I remember selling my 5200 MFWD tractor for the exact same price I paid for it! Worked the same way Harley's used to. But then after the century changed something happened with deere. First the quality started to wane and wax a bit. Those of us used to the brand thought it was some sort of abnomolly, but instead of getting better it continued.

Then the micro economy collapsed and if you bought a deere, the thing was worthless once leaving the lot. Witness this 925 you're stealing for less than half, and what a year or two later!

But then the bad happened, and deere started balking on the warranty. I have personally now owned a 2720 tractor for years that has been broken down far, far more than it has been useable. It is unable to cut for even a day without the deck falling apart. I found out the last time they rebuilt the deck, the dealership did it out of their own pocket since Deere refused to fix it again.

And to add some context, it had just been delivered to me from being repaired, and my wife climbed on it to mow a couple acres. The same pulley grenaded again and took out the belt I just paid $75 for. Oh yes, did I mention that when the deck pulley failed the fifth or sisth or seventh time (Not kidding) John Deere refused to pay for the new belt that their pulley they just replaced had cut in half.

I will never give them another penny of my money. They will not stand behind their product any longer in my experience, and the stuff I won won't even do the work they claim it is designed to do. My Kubota has been issue free, and they just sent me a card redeemable for two oil and two air filters as a thank you for taking a owners survey.

And Kubota and Kioti and a host of others are now better units than the green thing.

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 08:58:49 AM »
https://spartanmowers.com/

We are buying my wife’s parents house with a considerable yard.  This is the direction im going when the renovations are complete. (Or before hehe). Im going with the RZ and I cant WAIT!!!

These are incredible and even offer a diesel model for those that demand big power for expansive fields. They use some of the best hydraulic trans on the market. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:02:15 AM by Superwhdm »
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »

We are buying my wife’s parents house with a considerable yard.  This is the direction im going when the renovations are complete. (Or before hehe). Im going with the RZ and I cant WAIT!!!

These are incredible and even offer a diesel model for those that demand big power for expansive fields. They use some of the best hydraulic trans on the market. 

Nice!  Is there a spartan dealer close to you?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »

I'm liking that SRT series

But

I just can't kill my Scag...2012, couple hundred hours, 35hp vanguard...Maybe I'll cam it, dual exhaust, head work, pistons...Oh, and Armee paint!

Offline Superwhdm

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »

Yes sir 3 within an hour of me.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural

Offline Superwhdm

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »

I'm liking that SRT series

But

I just can't kill my Scag...2012, couple hundred hours, 35hp vanguard...Maybe I'll cam it, dual exhaust, head work, pistons...Oh, and Armee paint!

Don, I would expect no sir!!  :beercheers:
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »

Yes sir 3 within an hour of me.

Thats what made my decision for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal