Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 115201 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
Norm, you see a text from me today?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:59:19 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2017, 07:59:09 PM »
Don.... I'd say stay tuned, I suspect Sean may have a workable idea. And to aid him I am going to take a look see at my junk collection sometime in the next few days...I may have a idea, but I need to lay eyes on the hub.

Does anyone "ken" have a clue how large of a diameter the Chevy or for that matter Ford speed sensor deal is?
Koot,
I can tell you this. The only rotor we found that fit in the size range with a reluctor ring was a late 2500 Dodge.

From what I recall, it needed machining and possibly even machining of the hub

BTW, I don't have any hubs so I could go with anything I suppose
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »
No Sean but our cells are being whacky...not sure whats up.

As I see it Sean's situation is a easy cheap fix. He just needs a Currie tone ring on one of his rear axles and he's set... minus the wiring he will do anything to avoid. My guess it's no big deal...

Now on a floater front...more challenging.

One option that would make it simple on a front 60 would be a Spyntech Kit..
http://spyntec.com/wp-content/uploads/9904_Ford_hub_3.jpg

not a cheap solution but totally possible. Now...the question would be does Chevy use some weird odd tooth count on it's brakes? If not....although not a cheap solution it's a workable one.

But I thought the Duramax crowd had a computer tune workaround to bypass the anti lock?

WFO has a disk brake brackets that adapt 2010 vintage Chevy brakes and speed sensor to a Ford King pin 60.... Don if that uses the same sensors or tone ring your golden...you could just swap to 2010 Front brakes.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 14, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
I believe Chevy tooth count is 60 where most are 54 I think I read

My situation gets simpler once I acquire a new DD, which is by mid march at the latest. Trying to find what I want for least money at the moment. Then I can get the jk re emissions certified for the next two years and can take it down for several weeks at a time if need be.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:34:56 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
No Sean but our cells are being whacky...not sure whats up.

As I see it Sean's situation is a easy cheap fix. He just needs a Currie tone ring on one of his rear axles and he's set... minus the wiring he will do anything to avoid. My guess it's no big deal...

Now on a floater front...more challenging.

One option that would make it simple on a front 60 would be a Spyntech Kit..
http://spyntec.com/wp-content/uploads/9904_Ford_hub_3.jpg

not a cheap solution but totally possible. Now...the question would be does Chevy use some weird odd tooth count on it's brakes? If not....although not a cheap solution it's a workable one.

But I thought the Duramax crowd had a computer tune workaround to bypass the anti lock?

WFO has a disk brake brackets that adapt 2010 vintage Chevy brakes and speed sensor to a Ford King pin 60.... Don if that uses the same sensors or tone ring your golden...you could just swap to 2010 Front brakes.
WHAT?
WFO is the company I was working with two years ago with MY HUBS to solve this problem.

I'm off to their site to check this out...Better not have sold my hubs!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
Uh oh....... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

For the record us manufacturing guys never sell anything we might need measurements from. I bet they still have them but are gunna be like Don who????? :shocked:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:45:38 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
Darned varmits!!!!!

I went there and sure enough, they are selling all the stuff we were working on that was supposed to premier on C-Max!!!!!!!!

That's the lowest, low crawlin' no-good, good for nutthin' thing this side of the sunset!

I'm gonna give them a call first thing Monday morn!!

Actually its fine that they developed the kit, good for them

I'll get my stuff back, and maybe finish out the parts I needed for C-Max

OldKooT

« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
Don.... before ya chew em out... ask why the 2011 and newer Dmax isn't supported...and if there is a work around like using 2010 brakes as an example.

I am interested in this stuff for many reasons...not the least of which my oldest kid is determined to build a real Dana 60 for the front of his Power Wagon..he's already replaced the rear with a Dana 80 from a CTD truck. He has test fit my 40" set of tires, and well it's just a matter of time before he hangs a Front 60/radius arm set up under that truck.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 15, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
Don.... before ya chew em out... ask why the 2011 and newer Dmax isn't supported...and if there is a work around like using 2010 brakes as an example.

I am interested in this stuff for many reasons...not the least of which my oldest kid is determined to build a real Dana 60 for the front of his Power Wagon..he's already replaced the rear with a Dana 80 from a CTD truck. He has test fit my 40" set of tires, and well it's just a matter of time before he hangs a Front 60/radius arm set up under that truck.
What I know about this is that:
The 2011 truck is quite a bit different from the 2010
Having grown from the LMM engine to a LML, a significant increase in torque, everything got larfer
The rear 11.5" AAM axle got larger bearings
The brakes in the front grew larger
the lug nut pattern went from a 8-6.5" to an odd ball 8 on 180mm pattern, and,
Of course we got the blessed DEF, There were frame changes, a larger driveshaft, an upgraded Ally transmixer and who knows what else.
I suspect it is the brake size difference that was causing the snag. If I recall you can't get the larger rotor in a 180 on 8 bolt circle. The big dodge rotor has the 8 on 6.5 pattern. So if you went with that, then the wheels wouldn't fit the rear 180mm pattern unless you installed a 2010 rear axle assembly to match the front, or run wheels of different bolt circle patterns front and rear, which makes rotating big tires now a matter of pulling tires off rims.
With all that, I don't remember them being able to fit the 55 tooth reluctor ring onto the dodge stuff, so with that said, I was out.

I hope I recounted that correctly. I have everything for a radius arm/coil spring suspension. I even have a set of 7" lift Dodge 2500 front coils gathering cat fur in some corner...

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
Recount seems to be accurate as I remember it playing out there chief.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 17, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
OK, on to some stuff I actually have figured out. Well, kinda.......

So I have a 30" Rigid Ind led light bar I have needed to mount for some time. I dislike it above the windshield because it will knock into trees etc on trail rides. However, I also need to be able to haul 20' chunks of steel. So I needed a rack of sorts. In addition with low garage door heights in hippy land I'm restricted in overall vehicle height. So introduce Kargo Rack, they build a heavy duty rack system with quite a few neat add on jk items. Best part is they sell just this 2" front a-pillar hoop separately. I was able to get it mounted today. Will update with a couple more additions to it in the next day or so.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »
I like that!

Nice to see some JK stuff going on. I fugure by spring I'll be to the point I won't be able to stand a stock GJ any longer. Have to fatten it up a bit...

Good example shaping up here!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Well, that starter I put on three months ago during the motor fiasco is officially taking a big poop. Making some funny noises, hasn't left me stranded yet but it's under warranty so that is being swapped shortly. Snow blower needed carb torn apart and cleaned then wife picked up a screw last night & we awoke to a flat this morning. Not my week.....

I did work on back rack a little more today & decided a couple pieces are getting cutoff & replaced as the design evolves.....

& I ordered a 2" bar clamp machined to mount "stuff" to roll bars made of 2" tube today.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:34:21 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:39 AM »
Well, that starter I put on three months ago during the motor fiasco is officially taking a big poop. Making some funny noises, hasn't left me stranded yet but it's under warranty so that is being swapped shortly. Snow blower needed carb torn apart and cleaned then wife picked up a screw last night & we awoke to a flat this morning. Not my week.....

I did work on back rack a little more today & decided a couple pieces are getting cutoff & replaced as the design evolves.....

& I ordered a 2" bar clamp machined to mount "stuff" to roll bars made of 2" tube today.
You know the rules...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
You know the rules...

Clamp, American made   :popcorn:

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:28 AM »
Not sure if cut n paste qualifies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »
Not sure if cut n paste qualifies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Cut him some slack, the boy did something!

Think about it

It's Shawn, and he tried to comply

He's growin'  ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
Above part is out for delivery, tank rack is close for more pics & paint.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
Tank rack is finished and currently under primer, need to spray top coat and mount it. It went thru several changes and I ended up with this. The knob is a plastic handle that has a provision to hold a hex head 3/8 bolt, probably have to get a longer one but this keeps tension on the tops of the tanks. Then I used a trailer couple lock (weather proof) made by master lock to secure them. Works well and should be quiet when driving around. Cardboard behind rack is to confuse Ken and give him something to comment about.  :popcorn:

used more rod on the end to make a cheap hinge along with a couple of bushings.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »
Man, I'm surprised you didn't just end up with a molten pile of steel on the floor with how hot you're running that mig. :P

Just kidding....I like it!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »
Yeah, and that is turned pretty low for that machine. I'm not a sheet metal fab guy really as I'm used to 1/4" & thicker for the most part.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
Looks good! :likebutton:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
Simple, strong, light weight, and home made

Love it!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2017, 08:36:02 PM »

Love it!

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it.

Don, thought of you today when I was picking up the mounting hardware at this local farm and ranch called Jax. They sell all things Hobart as in welding stuff etc. They have a nice portable table that folds up for easy storage and get this it is non flammable all for around $100

http://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/hobart_folding_welding_table.jpg

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »

Love it!

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it.

Don, thought of you today when I was picking up the mounting hardware at this local farm and ranch called Jax. They sell all things Hobart as in welding stuff etc. They have a nice portable table that folds up for easy storage and get this it is non flammable all for around $100

http://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/hobart_folding_welding_table.jpg
Who'd want it?

:-)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
OK, so since I'm not building anything and this truck is staying stock other than a fancy bed cover and some front window tint to match the rear I will post it here.

Originally I intended to buy a 2017 Silverado Z71 crew cab 4x. I have in earnest been trying to get them (several different chevy dealerships covering two states) down on their price for the particular truck I wanted. The Silverado was basically this F150 minus a few options making it a 48K MSRP. I had one dealership down to 39K and then my incentives from my GM card the greedy SOB's would only allow me to use 1500 of the over 6K I have at my disposal. So needless to say I wasn't thrilled with GM. Also worth noting my last 4 trucks have all been 1 ton superduty's. The other thing that bothered me was the amount of taxes I would be paying on said truck as I live in the peoples republic of boulder county.

So in the meantime of wearing down the GM dealership I was also looking for used 1 & 2 year old trucks with 20-30K on the clock. Last Sunday I was browsing CL and this truck popped up in my search up in Fort Collins around 45min north of me. Looking at their website the truck wasn't listed correctly with options and such. However, when you clicked on the link showing the original window sticker it was in fact the exact truck plus a couple of options I wanted. It had 26K on the clock and was a 16' one owner with clean car fax. I shot the dealer a message and they contacted me Monday morning not sure of even where this truck was located. We discussed the misprint and window sticker and he agreed it was in fact the window sticker optioned truck as I assumed it was being that those go off of vin number. By 12:30 he had the truck on his lot, I arranged to go up the following Tuesday morning and the sales guy hid the truck in the service lot as he said it was too good of a deal to let the other sales guys in on....... :rolleyes:

So showed up Tuesday and the rest is history.........

2016 F150 crew cab 3.5L TT 4x seats six and is fairly loaded other than cloth seats. After driving this for several days I am satisfied with staying a Ford truck owner. According to Kelly Blue Book I bought this for around $2k under the price range they show for this truck and it is very clean for a used truck. I can say that with confidence as I have looked at many in the last couple of months here. Window sticker on this truck showed just above $52K MSRP originally.

9 year old red dog approves, she was one happy camper to be in the back of it. When I owned GLO, everyday after work I would come home from my day GM gig and package GLO parts to ship. She would be sitting in the back of the dually (no tail gate) waiting to go ship parts at fedex and USPS. She knows how to stay so anywhere I didn't have to be inside for long and the weather was accommodating she would ride along. Funny part is new truck has step that comes out of tailgate allowing her tired old butt to get in and out easily without me picking her up.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:39:27 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »
It sure is a good looking color, at least you did that right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2017, 08:41:48 AM »
Nice truck. Bet it rides nice.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
Nice looking rig there Shawn.
The pup has quite the smile going, must have missed the truck rides.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
did mama's money pit get traded in on this or ............
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »
You guys and your red trucks. I don't like the attention but it looks good.

So it has the ECO Boost?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
Nice looking truck. I agree that the red color draws attention. I like to keep mine low key as you can see below.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:44:40 PM by dave945 »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
Nice truck. Bet it rides nice.

It does, but I admit the GM ride is slightly better.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »

So it has the ECO Boost?

Nate, it's just an addition to the fleet. She still has her sporty lexus.

This does have the eco boost & we (family) just drove it on our first day trip to pikes peak.

Back down & eating lunch in manitou springs. Bobby, I'm doing the hill climb this year FYI if you want to join?????

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
3/4 ton running gear? (blazer)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
Yes sir, 86 K-5 Blazer. It was bone stock as an Alabama fish and game truck when I bought it. Painted it a version of American Lafrance safety yellow for the search and rescue team I was on at the time. Driving home one night and the back end jumped about six inches off the ground doing 50 on four lane. Ring and pinion in the 10 inch read end were trashed. Found a 3/4 ton front and rear for a goood deal at the local junk yard. Put the axles under it on the driveway outside my apartment. Fire ants and the fact that rear end weighs about five hundred pounds were the worst part of it.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »

So it has the ECO Boost?
Nice truck!  As far as red.  If you never do anything wrong you don't have to worry about attention. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
The temporary plate calls it bronze, I call it maroon. Once had a convertible camaro & it was a favorite of the local pd but that had nothing to do with the color...... :wink:

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »
Once had a convertible camaro & it was a favorite of the local pd but that had nothing to do with the color...... :wink:
Funny how that seems to be the case everywhere.
I had a firebird years ago that was also a local magnet.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
Bobby, I'm doing the hill climb this year FYI if you want to join?????

If I can convince the boss that I need to visit the Corporate offices in Colorado perhaps.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
Well, get convincing! :wink:

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »
Well, get convincing! :wink:

I told them I'd like to visit out there or Utah if I was given the chance for work related stuff. We'll see how it all turns out.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »
Utah is great bobby! Come on up!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Nice looking trucks both of them! I am partial to GM's but I get why that Ford made a lot of sense. Boulder County is a lot like MA in a lot of ways.  :rolleyes: I went to school up in Ft Fun back a long time ago.

Always wanted to throw 3/4 ton gear in a Blazer like that. Very cool! 

OldKooT

« Reply #395 on: March 03, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
Nice looking ride. It even looks kinda like a pickup  :grin:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
Thanks everyone, glad to see you're still alive Norm!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »
OK, so I've been slacking on the JK. So I've got around 5k on the new motor and now on my second starter. The under hood temps with these JK's are always an issue and headers exacerbate that problem. So when I threw then new motor in along with headers I decided it needed some ventilation and purchased these vents from daystar last fall. Going into winter I didn't believe the heat would be an issue, spring is upon us and thought I'd better get this mod out of the way. Being that they are plastic they are very lightweight and functional.

Started off laying it out and using an auto punch to locate for the drill holes, tiny 1/16 inch drill holes for all holes. This was after I laid a junk blanket over the engine bay and pulled the insulation from beneath the hood.

then larger holes

then use of the air nibbler

then rattle bomb the bare steel and reinstall insulation and hood bumpers along with new vents

now it needs a bath and some wax.......

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
Looks good. Sure the underhood insulation doesn't help with the heat.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »
OK, so I've been slacking on the JK. So I've got around 5k on the new motor and now on my second starter. The under hood temps with these JK's are always an issue and headers exacerbate that problem. So when I threw then new motor in along with headers I decided it needed some ventilation and purchased these vents from daystar last fall. Going into winter I didn't believe the heat would be an issue, spring is upon us and thought I'd better get this mod out of the way. Being that they are plastic they are very lightweight and functional.

Started off laying it out and using an auto punch to locate for the drill holes, tiny 1/16 inch drill holes for all holes. This was after I laid a junk blanket over the engine bay and pulled the insulation from beneath the hood.

then larger holes

then use of the air nibbler

then rattle bomb the bare steel and reinstall insulation and hood bumpers along with new vents

now it needs a bath and some wax.......

Kick Butt!

That looks great!

GJ...GJ...GJ...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal