Hello Guest

Author Topic: fifth wheel travel  (Read 641 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
fifth wheel travel
« on: March 04, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
Who here tows a fifth wheel?

Along with everything else I am doing, Kat and I look at retirement travel from time to time. Yesterday after looking at new duallies we ventured over to Holman Motors, which is an enormous TV and GMC store. They could have a thousand campers on the lot. You are given directions to a specific area where, sav, rear living fifth wheel campers from 28 to 32 feet are located. That consisted of two rows of maybe 15-20 each. Beside that were four rows of fivers up to 37 feet. You get the concept.

She is trying hard to swing me from another medium size travel camper to a fifth wheel. I have cold hard nixed a class A and am not keen on a class C either because I do not want to have to tow my car too.

What can you more experienced guys offer me about pulling a smaller fifth wheel around? I'd have to convert my 2500 Silvy to do it if I ever executed, or much more easily rig up a dually 3500.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: fifth wheel travel
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
I don’t tow a 5th wheel but can offer an opinion. They definitely have a much better turning radius for the tight spots. You do give up a lot of storage area in the truck so storage is important when deciding on a 5th wheel.
 If you buy new and plan on using it late fall through early spring, make sure it has a good winter package including dual pane windows. A good winter package also helps keep the inside cooler in the summer. Lots of options out there to look at, take in a couple RV shows just to look and compare.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »
Agree with Bob. They'll turn tight enough to blow out the rear window depending on your setup, or so I heard.
:Embarrassed
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
fifth wheel travel
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:38:22 PM »
Don, I’ve logged many miles with a fiver behind the dually

If you have a short bed, make sure you get a sliding hitch or you will have “interference” issues.  I can jack knife a fiver with a long bed and no contact.  Short bed, not so much.

Fivers have great storage so you can leave a lot of gear in the trailer.

My wife’s requirements were a king size bed and separate bathrooms for the kids.  It was like a hotel on wheels.  Things I would look for:

A full size fridge
Outdoor kitchen - your outdoor space is where you are entertaining and hanging out.  Outdoor fridge, coffee maker and sink.  Don’t care about the cooktop as I always had a separate cooking area and equipment.  I preferred metal cabinets outdoors as opposed to wood for weather resistance.

Auto leveling system is the bomb.  It remembers the position where you unhooked so when its time to leave and you hit the button its right back where you left it when you unhooked.

Get as much AC as you can.  Double 13,500 btu is the way to go. You wont regret it.  I was going to add a 3rd AC in the kids bunk house to be run off a separate circuit. More AC, always more AC

Get onboard air on your tow rig.  Never be left on the side of the road.

Get a surge protector connection for the 50 amp. RV parks are notorious for bad electrical surges.

Good water filtration system on board.  Some RVs have a great double filtration system.

Probably more than I have remembered here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:40:21 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »
5th wheel in my opinion is the best way to go. No fooling around with a weight distribution hitch. B&W makes the best 5th wheel hitch also my opinion. I still have my B&W companion in case I need to use my pickup.  If you have short box you will probably need a slider hitch.
On my Freightliner I have a Comfort ride hitch. Also a very good hitch but they are pricey. https://comfortridehitch.com/our-products/model-245/
My wife and I and 2 kids travel together. Occasionally the mother in law goes. My current trailer is 38 ft. That is plenty. Last trailer was 33 that was a little tight but only had one slide out.
I personally would suggest you get a long box truck. Its a little harder to back but not much once you get on to it.  When I had my Duramax long box I had gobs of room in front of the hitch to put stuff. I had 55 gallon barrel for water then behind the hitch I stacked fire wood.

If there are empty beer cans in your bed they will not be there when you reach your destination. You will also lose your favorite bucket and fishing net.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »
We're on our 4th rv 3rd 5th wheel. now that it's Me and the Wife you don't need the biggest 5th wheel Floor plan is what matters for how are you going to travel and where are you going to camp? If you're going to boondocking much the you want an rv fridge  unless your going solar and big battery bank. outdoor kitchen is nice but we wanted rear living room for the comfort and views, I just have a good grill and do all my cooking on that. Also a lot of the older state parks and national parks were made for smaller campers. We found a 2010 Carriage Cameo 32FWS it's no longer made but is perfect for me and momma, lots of storage and very livable for our long vacations. We're going to add solar and Lithium batteries so we can camp any where. PS we also did 7 weeks in a popup truck camper with only a potty for at night so my wife isn't very high maintenance!!
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »
Yeah I should have clarified. YMMV depending on how much maintenance the wife is....

As I used to tell the kids....

Charlie don’t surf...and mamma don’t camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal