TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Alternative Energy

Wood Fired Boiler Install

<< < (106/106)

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: dave945 on October 25, 2019, 09:10:36 AM ---Hey Don, have you fired up the boiler this year yet?  Or are you waiting for the cold snap to hit?  Just curious how it is going with that.  I’m doing planning for doing an install at my house and I’m trying to figure out location for the boiler and routing of the Pex lines and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
Dave the boiler rusted out this summer. I scrapped it for the steel value

Dave, I haven't fired it up just yet, but I can imagine I am not far from doing so

One of the above statements is true

Flyin6:
I guess Dave wasn't amused...

Anyway, I fired up the boiler for the winter

This time it ran great right out of the chock blocks.

I allowed the water temp to hit 165 before switching on the pumps.

The outside temp fell to 28 over the night whereas the inside of the house stayed at a warm 74F

The next morning the temp was still in the upper 160's and I didn't feed it any more wood. Many hours later around 1800 and after a very mild day in the 50's the water temp was at 124F. I threw in a bunch of logs and again it kept the house toasty warm.

I had both electric heaters on my heat pumps turned off at the breaker panel and the hot water heater breaker shut off as well.

This morning I took a very exaggerated hot shower and at no time did the water start to cool off. Now, obviously as the mean daily temp takes a nose dive, the unit will become more and more challenged, but I think I learned to feed it more wood, have drier wood, and rake the coals every morning.

So my electrical home budget are lights, stove, fans, electronics and a peripheral once in awhile like my saws or a welder.

Nate:
I think we need a review like this from you...lol

https://youtu.be/q2QTK66lJJA

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: Nate on November 22, 2019, 09:33:18 AM ---I think we need a review like this from you...lol

https://youtu.be/q2QTK66lJJA

--- End quote ---
That was a good one to be sure

I will concur that to own and operate one of these means that you have bought into a lot of work. So far, I have spent around half a day or more cutting and loading my dump trailer, bringing it home, then stacking it in the garage. It has become my heavy workout day.

I can also confirm the large amount of wood the thing consumes. I'd say he is right on at 10-12 cords of wood per heating season, possibly as high as 15.

The maintenance is minimal

but the return is worth it.

I like to work hard in the cold, this thing mandates you to put in the effort

No arguing the electricity savings of around $500 a month for my home.

The best thing is how warm the air is coming out of the registers. It isn't hot, but is very warm and just feels great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version