Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1328873 times)

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #700 on: June 22, 2016, 06:56:58 AM »
and last weekend I snagged a pair or N Fab running boards for half price off CL in decent shape (would have ended up looking about like this after 6-8 months anyway.. hahaha)

and did a headlight and grill update (05 headlights, and the grill is made to look like the newer ones as well.. while keeping the stock 03/04 bumper.) changed the whole look of the truck IMO..

ohh.. and she has 178k ish miles. hahah. the next thing that will go on it is a set of 20s from
either an 06 (flat 5 spoke) or 08 KR (7 spoke alloys) but that'll happen when I need a set of tires. most likely next spring/summer. hard to take a good set of tires off the truck just to change rim size

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 22, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Nice fabrication there- don't rush to change the console, some people weld on the stuff so I'm certain it'd last fairly well........LOL!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 22, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
Nice fabrication there- don't rush to change the console, some people weld on the stuff so I'm certain it'd last fairly well........LOL!
My thoughts exactly!

If cardboard works in medium duty metal fabrication and welding, then give it a coat of shellac and it should hold up as a console. Just don't let a fat girl stand on it in a parade somewhere and you'll be fine!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 22, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
it's a sure fire way to keep them outta the truck.. hahaha

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 22, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »
just finished this up for my grandfather. i think you could let SqD roll down the driveway and let it act as bump stop!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 22, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »
Bought the Peterbuilt this morning. They would not take the Mack on trade but worked a deal to sell it on consignment.  We leave tomorrow so getting the camper ready and doing some last minute mowing. Got my daughter on the weedeater. This should be interesting .

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:45:49 PM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #706 on: June 22, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »
and last weekend I snagged a pair or N Fab running boards for half price off CL in decent shape (would have ended up looking about like this after 6-8 months anyway.. hahaha)

and did a headlight and grill update (05 headlights, and the grill is made to look like the newer ones as well.. while keeping the stock 03/04 bumper.) changed the whole look of the truck IMO..

ohh.. and she has 178k ish miles. hahah. the next thing that will go on it is a set of 20s from
either an 06 (flat 5 spoke) or 08 KR (7 spoke alloys) but that'll happen when I need a set of tires. most likely next spring/summer. hard to take a good set of tires off the truck just to change rim size
Let's hear a bit more about that front end conversion, lights and grill and cost ? No panel modifications?

Raising boys into RealMen!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:02:07 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 22, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »
That 6.0 looks nice. There's a grey one up here for sale that I like. I don't like the price.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 22, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
lights and grill were piece milled together from 2 seperate vendors on eBay. lights were ~$135 with pigtail adapters for the new style lights. grill was ~$190 and took 10 seconds to swap. however long it is to take out 4 screws and reinstall. the lights required the use of an air saw to cut 6" holes into Fiberglas header panel to allow for the headlight bucket to properly fit. one side took maybe 45 min and the other was about 5 after you figure out the minimum that must be cut. headlights are easily adjustable up and down and are plenty bright. can't tell a difference in them and new OEM ford lights both in appearance and brightness. it all fits with the factory bumper, although some adjustment may need to be made up and down to set body gaps to your own specific liking.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »
got the dash welded up, sand blasted and primed until we finish the console and need to weld hidden tabs to attach the two. iPad in place with the 'slider'. pretty slick look if I may say so myself

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 22, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
Yep pretty slick!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 22, 2016, 09:13:29 PM »
^^Indeed! Looking great, keep up the good work!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:18 PM »
Ain't like no scout I've ever seen! Looks awesome!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »
Ain't like no scout I've ever seen! Looks awesome!

I would say so. I'll be sure to snag some pics of the console mañana. and once I get back from NYC it should be in paint.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 23, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »
I took a pair of brand new Jungle boots in to the cobblers today to have them fancy comfortable soles put on them
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 23, 2016, 12:45:23 AM »
Heck, I can't find jungle boots around here. Have to try em on first so I won't mail order. What soles do you upgrade to?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 23, 2016, 05:26:25 AM »
I took a pair of brand new Jungle boots in to the cobblers today to have them fancy comfortable soles put on them

I still have my last pair of green jungles from Bragg that I had re-soled with a Goodyear tire tread patterned sole. They were ridiculously comfortable. Those were my Garrison boots, my field pair of jungles... well those are torn, beat up but still comfy.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:32:38 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 23, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
Well I finally got my plane out!! [Wifey was out with the Girls]

From the air

Hard to do 1 handed!

North South runway 1200' East West about 700'
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 23, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »
Pictures ?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »
Heck, I can't find jungle boots around here. Have to try em on first so I won't mail order. What soles do you upgrade to?

I went with the vibram lug type sole.  something similar to this

find older mil surplus store's and they should have some.

I still have my last pair of green jungles from Bragg that I had re-soled with a Goodyear tire tread patterned sole. They were ridiculously comfortable. Those were my Garrison boots, my field pair of jungles... well those are torn, beat up but still comfy.

are you saying you need a new pair?  I know where there are a few, I just need a size.

Dave:  ill post a few when they finished in a about a week.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: June 23, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »
I used to have those and loved em!!

I just got some cheap desert types from Big 5 that are not to bad. Hard to find 12 wide boots, even have to go 13 sometimes for the width.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 24, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
Changed the fuel filter in the Dmax this morning, oil this afternoon- first time I did the fuel filter myself.  Was going to try to do it all from above- not possible in a LML as there are either AC lines or fuel lines and wires blocking access from above.  Took out wheel tub, well, almost- front lower screws weren't coming loose from those fun little clips on the backside of the underskirt...so pushed it down to get to the filter.  Used Vaseline to hold & lube the new o-rings and channel locks on the H2O sensor. 

Installed a new billet bleed screw from Merchant Automotive.  Purchased my Oil Filter, Transynd, Trans Pan Gasket, Internal and External Trans Filter and new drain washer from them as well- shipped it to my door, 2 days after order was placed!  Well packaged and a great company to do business with, as the called me first thing Monday am to clear-up a on-line glitch they were having with a specific order combo and to make certain they had my order correct before they shipped it! :)  Trans service comes this weekend!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
more work on the scout today..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 24, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »
We made it to Driggs Idaho late last night, slept  no not at all, up early to go explore the amazing Teton mountains and hike with the boys in packs

Rolled over the hill today too
We played in downtown Jackson hole
Did some window shopping because everything is marked up 20% from reality

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »
more work on the scout today..

Looks like a really good start!
What are the plans for finish, carpet, paint, fibreglass and...?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 24, 2016, 10:14:54 PM »
wood putty and sanding to a nice finish. primed and covered in vinyl that'll match the seats. (everything that's wooden) the dash where the iPad and AC vents will be cleaned up, body worked and painted semi gloss black. as will the drop in metal piece that surrounds the shifters.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 25, 2016, 01:48:26 AM »
I like how it all flows. Need one for the the burb now as that area is bare.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 25, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »
thank you sir. we were shooting for 'stock' appearance so far as the amount of space taken up is concerned.. as well as the shape of the AC/iPad dash.. trying to closely match it to a factory scout AC box

I'd imagine there is a lot more room in the burb than this, and can fit a 9-10" sub in the back for depth in the sound system. (that's what it wrapped in plastic in one of those pics.. 8" Rockford fosgate P2)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 25, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
Today, I did the 106,000 mile trans service on the 2012 LML Dmax.  New internal filter, external was changed at 103,000 so that was still good, new pan gasket and Transynd fluid.  I do this without jacks or ramp, so the drill is, open drain and let it go until stops; well drips slowly.  I put a new drain plug washer on it and torqued it to 26flb on the old wrist scale.....yah, no torque wrench in my small tool collection!  Dropped the pan carefully letting the final drips fall in there under the truck for another 20 mins. while I set-up parts and fluids to complete the process.  Empty the large quantity of fluid left in the trans pan and fileter, clean the pan and get ready to put it all back together.  Then, I discover, that the vendor, SENT THE WRONG INTERNAL!  Yep, like I'm standing there with my pants around my ankles.....NUTS!

Called the parts store, no dice, called the local dealership which usually screws up simple stuff and I get lucky; they have one!  So no working car at the casa; looks like I'm peddling the bike there.......oh, wait a min., the neighbor is out mowing his lawn and I've help a bunch with projects they've done and yes, he can drive me to get the part!  Saved my keister, as it's 90+ and humid today!

Get the right internal, get it installed remembering to make sure the old filter neck gasket wasn't left in the trans......it was so the ol' micro screwdriver got that out.  Get the new gasket installed and pan finger tightened and start to feel "gremlins" are afoot!  Did I push the new filter all the way home??????  OK, pull it all down, double check everything discovering that the "gremlins" are in my head!  Well, part of the gremlins are probably due to the ol' vertigo acting up again this past week!  With the internal forearm torque wrench set to 20flbs and follow a cross pattern to snug it all up, fill with new fluid, check the level twice by the book at the top of the cold level and take it for a spin.......it works!  Will do final fluid check next time I drive it long enough to get it to temp.  Wife brought home a beef sandwich for me and a 6 pack for the neighbor since she was out "shopping" anyway during the debacle!  :o

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 25, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »
not a bad afternoon there. would be several hundred at a dealership if I had to guess..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 25, 2016, 07:19:08 PM »
alittle more on the scout

alittle more fiddling with the tcase shifter before that hole gets drilled. (why it's still blank)

button head screws in the top hold the metal to each side via wood nut certs. and each small side is held to the body by 2 tabs, wood but certed on the vertical and using the trans tunnel cover screws for the body mounting points. it's more sturdy than a factory one and it doesn't even have anything holding the large console down yet, just attached to the front by 2 screws from the front. it's coming together..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 25, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
You guys are productive!!

So I finished mowing the hide this morning, made breakfast for my youngest (mom and oldest showed up around lunch). Trouble shot some cat5 for additional security cameras. Pulled the game cam and the pig has been back. So was an axis deer. Guessing it got loose from a high fenced ranch. Harvested a butt load of tomatoes, squash and cucumbers and zucchini. Burned some brush.  Changed the oil and filter and fuel filter in the mower. Cut down a couple of trees that make it hard to mow around the house. Grilled fajitas for dinner. Sprayed the kids with the hose.  Went for a walk thought the trails with the XYL. Sitting on the porch with a yeti cup of jack and diet next to the 36 inch barrel fan.

Life is good. Praise the Lord.
I'll have to post pics later. Kids are sucking all the bandwidth on the satellite with Netflix watching Clone Wars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:44:32 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 25, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »
Mmmm, good eats and drink there TRN!  I suffered through the wife's idea to try this Chinese place a friend told us about......needless to say, I heard a "meow" when I bit into the first bite, and it got worse from there!  Luckily, the Northern Cousin to your Jack, Mark, cleaned my tongue off for me with a few cubes.....gotta go cough up a hair ball I'm afraid!  >:(

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 25, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »
Sean, I think this deserves it own thread. Work is great, but this is a passing thread.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 26, 2016, 12:52:38 AM »
today I helped a really good friend of mine get his 96 chevy Silverado 1500 (305ci, manual trans) back to running condition.  he developed a nasty leak at the oil filter housing.  I tapped into the real man 911 assistance thread and have to give a giant nod to ken for all of the assistance he has provided me with today.

I have to say that that truck is truly a solid piece of equipment and a darned good reflection of what is not made anymore.

thank you ken!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 26, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »
I took a moment to reflect on all my new friends I have made here.

I am blessed to have everyone who has come to this corner of the interweb and is now a part of my life!

Thank you Lord!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 26, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
Amen

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 26, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
Amen to all the friends I have not met in person,,,,,,,,,,yet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 26, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
This week have been doing the work up for today.
Our CO has moved on and we had our change of command parade for him.
I was honoured to be selected to present him with he CO's Penant from the unit.
Quite a humbling moment to be selected from the 50 odd of us here.

Also feeling blessed about the 'gang' on the site as well.

The view from lighthouse mess.

City of Victoria on the left, and Washington on the right.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:44:00 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 26, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »
Throughout the week we spent the afternoon on the range.
I've walked past this sign too many times to count, and actually read it on Thursday.
We had a good laugh.

Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »
I am grateful for all by RMTW brethren as well. Today I made homemade salsa and pasta sauce from all the tomatoes in the garden and pressure canned them.  Also made some fried squash and fried green tomatos. Girls absolutely had a fit over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »
Modified the trailer with a wheel on the front support so I can maneuver it around...Just had a steel foot before. I may have gotten it a bit short.

Time will tell.

Mowed the grass, worked on a cabin plan for the hide, and killed some weeds.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2016, 11:29:46 PM »
I drove a large amount today, we covered almost 1500 miles in four days which is terrible on my back but on the bright side I avg 18 mpg at 80 mph in the d max!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 27, 2016, 12:22:40 AM »
That is good mileage!!

I went to Bass Pro in Rocklin, was 109 when I went in.

Had this little 12v cooler with me, see the temp?

Bought a cheap recurve to keep in the truck.

Bought a pair of 511 Speed boots (12w) that are close to jungle boots and under $100.

And I got this for my new bender.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:56 AM »
Been on the road since Thursday with the wife and 2 youngest kids. Gettingg ready to pull out of Cincinnati just to find d out Hillary is here and I have to drive near where she is. Traffic always sucks here but I have a feeling this is going to be really bad.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 27, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
Ooooh, wonder if Don and Duane are going to stop by her function to say hi?!  ;)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 27, 2016, 11:21:18 PM »
Ooooh, wonder if Don and Duane are going to stop by her function to say hi?!  ;)
Not likely

And why on earth does she and that yahoo president like to stop here so often?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 27, 2016, 11:35:06 PM »
Been in bed since last night fighting the flu. Hit like gangbusters when I got home. Was 107 today, I am wearing sweats and am not hot.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 28, 2016, 12:13:21 AM »
Not likely

And why on earth does she and that yahoo president like to stop here so often?

Probably having stuff stashed at Ft. Knox......birth records, thesis', server tapes........

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:16 AM »
Been in bed since last night fighting the flu. Hit like gangbusters when I got home. Was 107 today, I am wearing sweats and am not hot.
Better yet Bro?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal