Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2  (Read 196165 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2
« Reply #750 on: June 25, 2016, 09:25:55 AM »
Great idea with diy. I have seen kits that are stupid $$$.

Good idea on the quick connect, maybe a 90* on it?
I think the 90 would have been best, but I have to tell ya, getting that pesky fitting threaded through that hole was not an easy thing to do. You have to shove it all down the fill port, then shake it around, inverted until the brass part finally decides to show up in view. Then try and stick a screwdriver into the hole in the fitting to allow it to slide closer to the hole. Finally I used an expanding set of snap-ring pliers to catch the fitting through the inside. Then I dropped the whole thing, and repeated all that several times.

You continue that process until finally, the washer falls off and becomes stuck to the inside and you get the RTV all over the place. At this point, you fish the whole thing out and start over...Repeat until necessary until:

1. You overheat
2. You run out of curse words
3. your neighbor comes over and asks you to build a fire pit with your freshly painted tractor
4. It gets too dark to work, assuming you started the process around noon
5. You actually succeed in getting the D)*@$!! thing threaded in.

Next time, thread it all on fishing line with a nut tied to it at the bottom of the assembly, fish the top of the string out of the hole first, then drop your assembly into the tank and simply pull up and guide with your finger through the filler neck!  8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:28:12 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »
Now you tell him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 25, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »
Well, he only tells us about it AFTER the ordeal is over......my Jedi mind tricks only work up close!  The "farce" is weak in this one (me)... ;D

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 25, 2016, 09:19:26 PM »
Doing it the hard way builds character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 25, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
Great idea with diy. I have seen kits that are stupid $$$.

Good idea on the quick connect, maybe a 90* on it?
I think the 90 would have been best, but I have to tell ya, getting that pesky fitting threaded through that hole was not an easy thing to do. You have to shove it all down the fill port, then shake it around, inverted until the brass part finally decides to show up in view. Then try and stick a screwdriver into the hole in the fitting to allow it to slide closer to the hole. Finally I used an expanding set of snap-ring pliers to catch the fitting through the inside. Then I dropped the whole thing, and repeated all that several times.

You continue that process until finally, the washer falls off and becomes stuck to the inside and you get the RTV all over the place. At this point, you fish the whole thing out and start over...Repeat until necessary until:

1. You overheat
2. You run out of curse words
3. your neighbor comes over and asks you to build a fire pit with your freshly painted tractor
4. It gets too dark to work, assuming you started the process around noon
5. You actually succeed in getting the D)*@$!! thing threaded in.

Next time, thread it all on fishing line with a nut tied to it at the bottom of the assembly, fish the top of the string out of the hole first, then drop your assembly into the tank and simply pull up and guide with your finger through the filler neck!  8)
Now I hate myself!!!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 26, 2016, 02:38:32 AM »
While I seem to always be a day late and a dollar short (thousands it seems) another easier option would be use a military gas can..... You know the ones, come tan or some other nasty color, with the wide mouth kid your hand will fit through with zero issues! Yea that one. If you want one and are going to pay the exorbitant price I saw let me know, I'll sell you one of mine.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 26, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
While I seem to always be a day late and a dollar short (thousands it seems) another easier option would be use a military gas can..... You know the ones, come tan or some other nasty color, with the wide mouth kid your hand will fit through with zero issues! Yea that one. If you want one and are going to pay the exorbitant price I saw let me know, I'll sell you one of mine.

Funny you mention that

THis all started out with me over at the HF store checking out their steel gas cans. THey make a copy of the NATO can minus the cap. THey substitute the cheapo EPA narrow mouth junk, but otherwise, a sturdy can. It was $39.95. Now I have been paying $50 for my real live NATO cans...

Then I came across that 5 gal plastic can you see in the photos...$19.95

And the rest is a gas can write-up!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:37 PM »
Well, after spending many sweaty and dusty hours down at the hide, I have a mixed report. Some good, and some not so good.

I plused up the tools available to make the frequent repairs down there.

I screwed on a bunch of the Harbor Freight magnetic strips and threw some wrenches and other things up on the board because, like crows, I like shiny things

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 27, 2016, 11:02:14 PM »
The tractor is back where it belongs and the cutter was put to work almost immediately. I ran nearly a whole takn of fuel through the engine of that deere pushing that cutter.

I tested it on brush, and it worked really well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »
I have a dried critter pond which got some attention today. First order of business was to cut the brush away. THat took less than 5 minutes with that modified cutter

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:44 PM »
Next I cut 5-10 acres of grass and weeds, about three feet tall with the cutter. It didn't miss a beat!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 27, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »
Next up, I turned it loose on a stand of locust trees. These range from 2" up to maybe 4" caliper size. I want to say, this tested the limit of the cutter and was in the end too much. But it cut those trees like kindling!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 27, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
Sometime during the day, I noticed an increasing vibration in the cutter. I thought I might have picked up a piece of wire, but that wasn't the case. The big round stump rider disc has some reinforcing webbing on the back side. A piece of that apparently failed and was flung off.

That set up a vibration which induced  a decent wobble in the gearbox. That caused metal fatigue and the inside steel shell of the cutter failed. The gearbox separated from it and nearly disintegrated.

That right there is a massive structural failure!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 27, 2016, 11:14:11 PM »
I don't know if that is even repairable.

It is becoming obvious that my cutter is simply not up to the task of clearing land like I have been using it to do. It is OK to use cutting a field and will survive hitting an occasional rock, but constant chewing of larger trees has killed the thing I fear

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »
I finished the day using Sarge to push up the stumps left over from my harvesting those cedar logs. It made quick work of those, and they are now ready for some intimate relationship with fire.

I then pushed about three feet of dirt out of the dry pond and pushed down all the cedars on one end. I started to get into some gooey clay...Could there be water down there. I make it 12-15 feet deep and less than 100 meters from the well.

I'm going to use the box blade and cut a drainage ditch along the road into that pond. If I can get water to it, maybe it will hold it???

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: June 28, 2016, 12:53:39 AM »
Don, I don't know the lay of your farm but on the one I used to own we had around ten acres all tiled into the 3.5 acre pond. That 4" flex tile is cheap & easy to use to divert runoff into an area you want to keep filled.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 28, 2016, 02:32:05 AM »
I screwed on a bunch of the Harbor Freight magnetic strips and threw some wrenches and other things up on the board because, like crows, I like shiny things

The wrenches aren't dress right dressed. For shame!

It is becoming obvious that my cutter is simply not up to the task of clearing land like I have been using it to do. It is OK to use cutting a field and will survive hitting an occasional rock, but constant chewing of larger trees has killed the thing I fear

Maybe you should use Sarge to clear out the trees. Push it all into a burn pile, while simultaneously clearing out a section.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 28, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »

The wrenches aren't dress right dressed. For shame!

Maybe you should use Sarge to clear out the trees. Push it all into a burn pile, while simultaneously clearing out a section.

Hmmmm, where might we have heard this idea before, Don?  You could pick-out the log quality ones with your jaw bucket on your green tractor, buck the limbs and root end afterwards.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 28, 2016, 10:16:24 AM »
Yea, I could do that...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »

Hmmmm, where might we have heard this idea before, Don?  You could pick-out the log quality ones with your jaw bucket on your green tractor, buck the limbs and root end afterwards.

I heard some Blackhawk pilots saying " no Chinook pilot would have the skills necessary to do that maneuver anyway"

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 28, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »

I heard some Blackhawk pilots saying " no Chinook pilot would have the skills necessary to do that maneuver anyway"

You should know better than to listen to any Hawk pilot

Especially when he says he'll get you there on time, or "You're at the coordinates you asked to be dropped at..."
Nuff said!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:18:27 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 28, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »

You should know better than to listen to any Hawk pilot

Especially when he says he'll get you there on time, or "You're at the coordinates you asked to be dropped at..."
Nuff said!

Long as I get there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 03, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »
Well, the grass grew taller!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 03, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »
So, I nailed up the shutters!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 03, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »
The way I built the "Electric shutters" the hinges should have been welded onto the long side, so I'll have to modify that. In the meantime, I screwed the wooden panels in place for ascetics.

I wanted to start clearing out the well, so I welded up this grapple hook out of some scrap

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 03, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »
...And went to work fishing stuff out of that deep green hole

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 03, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »
I was successful in getting maybe 75% of the junk out of the well. Stuff like chlorine bottles, Styrofoam cups, bottle lids, branches, a log and different odds and ends

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 03, 2016, 06:23:59 PM »
Next time I am going to show up with a wire basket which I'll build and use it to finish "Fishing" out the remainder of the debris down there.

Following that, I'll pull a water sample, then a second in a few days and start to test for what's down there

Fingers crossed!

I guess I found a temporary use for those electric shutter screens:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 03, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
After that it was back to tree removal and burning, grading of the area where I just pulled out stumps and a lot of land cleaning and clearing

The men and the kids worked, the wives supervised, and the dog laid around!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 03, 2016, 06:30:52 PM »
We went after the hedge row. Have about 200-300 feet to clear

The technique that works best (Thanks Mike!) is to use Sarge to push the tree over, then dig under the root ball and pop the tree out of the ground with the bucket curl back

Then I come in and buck the root ball and upper part of the tree off, then carry those parts to the burn pile, then go back and either trim the trunks or fill in the holes

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: July 03, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »
The box scraper is a super handy tool which works so well to grade the loosened earth and at the same time tear out the remaining roots. What you're left with is a great area to sow some grass seed

I highly encourage the use of child slave labor in these projects. If they belong to you, they will know the value of a hard day's work and be so thankful of what they accomplished...And they eat like men at the end of the day!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 03, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »
It's definitely opening up nicely!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 03, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »
Speaking of food, in true frontier style, while the men and children were out working, the ladies cooked up a feast. I mean WHAT A MEAL!

THe flowers on the table came from the fields around the shed!

It was a good independence day weekend

There will be more on this "Independence" theme in coming updates...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 03, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
Is that the young lady who has your son keeping you on a tight schedule to make it to Church?  ;)

Glad to see you're using Sarge as intended and it is opening up nicely- can almost see the well site!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:31:21 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 03, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
Now if someone can answer me the idea behind youth and gym clothes for every activity.  When I was a young lad if grandpa came to take me to work on the farm I was not allowed any other then long sleeve shirt and jeans.   The one time I didn't obey he let me walk through stinging nettle and reap what I sowed.   

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 03, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
Did your gramps wear shorts while working? No?

Notice what big D wears all the time, even when there's cotton moccasins abound? Like father like sons....the blonde one looks just like a mini Don. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 03, 2016, 09:37:38 PM »
Is that the young lady who has your son keeping you on a tight schedule to make it to Church?  ;)

Glad to see you're using Sarge as intended and it is opening up nicely- can almost see the well site!
No, didn't make it today.

We didn't leave down there until the afternoon

I did do something I really liked though

Mixed some root beer with some bourbon cream and a piece of ice.

That was delicious, thanks again!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 03, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
Now if someone can answer me the idea behind youth and gym clothes for every activity.  When I was a young lad if grandpa came to take me to work on the farm I was not allowed any other then long sleeve shirt and jeans.   The one time I didn't obey he let me walk through stinging nettle and reap what I sowed.   

Mine do pick up some poison ivy from time to time, but it is so humid here that long clothes get soaked, stick to you and overheat you fast.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 03, 2016, 09:40:11 PM »
Did your gramps wear shorts while working? No?

Notice what big D wears all the time, even when there's cotton moccasins abound? Like father like sons....the blonde one looks just like a mini Don. lol
My desert combat boots???

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 03, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
Don't completely clear the area. Leave some treeline for a windbreak, and shady areas to relax in.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 03, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
Yeah we don't have the humidity to deal with, 105 is pretty warm still and baggy clothes gets caught in moving equipment

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 04, 2016, 08:11:35 AM »
Yes Don, those are GOOD!  Made a large one the other night and Stacy really liked it, so much so that I only enjoyed a 1/3 of it.......and she doesn't like Bourbon  ;)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 04, 2016, 08:49:22 AM »
Don't completely clear the area. Leave some treeline for a windbreak, and shady areas to relax in.
I'm not completely clearing it. I am leaving the hardwood trees for the most part and a couple cedars here and there

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 04, 2016, 10:05:40 AM »
I'm not completely clearing it. I am leaving the hardwood trees for the most part and a couple cedars here and there

Got ya.

As for fishing stuff out of the well, take a 5 gallon bucket, punch some holes in the bottom to facilitate water drainage, then lower that in the well. It should pick up stuff you aren't snagging with the hook.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 04, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »
I recommend making a tripod with a snatch block hanging from it (3 point or bucket on tractor strategically placed would work as well). Use winch on truck & have Duane lower you into said well. Why Duane you ask? Because he will document said folly with lots of pictures and commentary that makes for wonderful entertainment for all us DOT's!  ;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: July 04, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »
I recommend making a tripod with a snatch block hanging from it (3 point or bucket on tractor strategically placed would work as well). Use winch on truck & have Duane lower you into said well. Why Duane you ask? Because he will document said folly with lots of pictures and commentary that makes for wonderful entertainment for all us DOT's!  ;D
^^^^Disapproved^^^^^

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 04, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »
I think we need a second opinion. Where is Ashley anyhow? ???

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
I like the sieve-like vegetable steamers that have a central stud and open up like a flower. it could slip past debris on the way down, and then open up to collect surface stuff as it's retrieved. I was also wondering why there wasn't a tripod from all those cedar branches and some scout lashing to help lower and raise that hook there Don. Don't forget the simple stuff, and wouldn't be a bad course for the PR's, (or course review).
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 05, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
I like the sieve-like vegetable steamers that have a central stud and open up like a flower. it could slip past debris on the way down, and then open up to collect surface stuff as it's retrieved. I was also wondering why there wasn't a tripod from all those cedar branches and some scout lashing to help lower and raise that hook there Don. Don't forget the simple stuff, and wouldn't be a bad course for the PR's, (or course review).
Plenty of cedar posts to be sure, and I'm stacking them up

I plan for something more substantial over the well if the water tests good

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 08, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
I welded up the WRB (Well recovery bucket) today

I wanted something permanent and stout, so I made it out of expanded steel mat.

I didn't spray paint it because I wanted it to become a "Rust-Bucket!"

^^Funny right there! ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal