Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2  (Read 196174 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2
« Reply #850 on: July 17, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
have you taught him the proper roll over drill?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 18, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
 Learned something while down here in Missouri: fresh cut trimmings of trees/timber that you wish to burn: after three days sitting is optimal time to set on fire! Internal gases are at their peak and will burn the most efficiently. Requires burn pile to be readjusted and turned at times while burning. I know it sounds ludicrous burning Greenwood is most efficient! But it works!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 18, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »
have you taught him the proper roll over drill?
"Proper" Roll over procedure, Nate???

That would be: Unbuckle and run for your life cause I'm gonna pound a pound of butt off your tail for destroying my tractor!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 18, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
OK, Tractor is back up and running!

A primary rock-shaft control valve was sticking open which prevented hydraulic pressure to be trapped. The JD folks replaced the valve and even installed new seals on the piston and put it all back together.

I watched it effortlessly lift a small rotary cutter (No I'm not buying that one!) over and over, and hold it elevated for a while.

I'm back in business!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
yes proper roll over procedures!

hands and feet inside of the ride at all times.......;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
Then after a whole bunch more sweat and hours, the area is starting to clean up, and my log pile is really expanding

You know if you bury those powere lines with a little work with say a D6 or 7, you might have a nice little airstrip there!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 18, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »
Then after a whole bunch more sweat and hours, the area is starting to clean up, and my log pile is really expanding

You know if you bury those powere lines with a little work with say a D6 or 7, you might have a nice little airstrip there!
Oh no! Don't add to the already massive list.

But I must agree, you're absolutely right!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 19, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
Helicopters don't need a "Strip"  :)

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 19, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »
That also went through my mind, but a plane is I think waaay more economical to buy and operate.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 19, 2016, 10:36:59 AM »
That also went through my mind, but a plane is I think waaay more economical to buy and operate.

Not unless he has a Maintenance Depot right next to said pad!

Don, I sure hope you fly better than you operate farm equipment!!!

All joking aside have you thought about Bell, or Enstrom, Robinson, and the Huges500 are pretty cheap if you can afford to maintain them.  Or go the much cheaper route of fixed wing and strip, there is always powered paragliding!

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 19, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
Well, just make the road just straight enough for a good pilot and a light plane. Just in case. You could actually have a couple "strategic" wires placed for those not invited that come down fast.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 19, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »

All joking aside have you thought about Bell, or Enstrom, Robinson, and the Huges500 are pretty cheap if you can afford to maintain them.  Or go the much cheaper route of fixed wing and strip, there is always powered paragliding!

Well, let's just say lots of different aircraft would be welcomed now and then.

As for my personal aircraft. It's either going to be a Super Huey 2, or maybe a Bell 412, or an AW-139...Painted OD green of course

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 19, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
OK, for today's update:

The tractor has been transported back down to the farm. It runs perfectly. We even washed it up and sprayed some wax on it at the truck wash.

We replenished the gasoline stocks down there, and I am seeing a couple of fuel tanks in the near future. One gasoline, one red diesel. I am now hauling 30+ gallons of fuel down there each time I drive down.

The dry pond is not so dry any more, it has filled a bit more, although the filling seems to have slowed down. If I accidentally "Mushed through" a weep hole in the clay with Sarge, then if and when I really clean that hole out with a proper excavator, I should have a lot more volume.

Tomorrow, we may go for the 6,000 gallon water tank in the morning...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 19, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »

Well, let's just say lots of different aircraft would be welcomed now and then.

As for my personal aircraft. It's either going to be a Super Huey 2, or maybe a Bell 412, or an AW-139...Painted OD green of course

Good choices but pricey, we could locate some surplus Daisy Cutters and make a pad for all your rotorwing toys 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 19, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
This guy could probably help locate a few. https://66.media.tumblr.com/eafcb84eb8027b3d4f9a0f89f59f001c/tumblr_mfrzyonXJN1s0pm6co1_250.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 20, 2016, 01:27:12 AM »
Why not get a service for fuel like they do for propane? Couple tanks and you are set.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 20, 2016, 08:02:45 AM »
My initial thought is then "they" own the tanks. So "they" can pull them anytime that is convenient for them. Or they are pressed to do so by someone. Reason I owned several of my own propane tanks on our farm & still own a tank here in suburbia hell.......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 20, 2016, 08:11:51 AM »
Shawn is right in many cases. However you can buy your own fuel tank and pay as you go but it depends on the service. CL is an awesome place to buy used tanks and the going price here seems to be .75-1.00 a gallon for a good used tank.

I almost pulled the trigger but didn't for privacy reasons.  I have 2 poly 55 gallon drums that I use to haul fuel. However I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to be man handling those. The tractor helps though.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 20, 2016, 09:24:42 AM »
When it comes to fuel tanks my plan is to purchase and own the fuel tanks

However, I want a local propane company to install a 500 or 1,000 gallon tank into a pit I will construct. I have a reason for doing it that way...

The fuel will be purchased from a local company which routinely sells to farms...

Plan on seeing temporary fuel through until next year, however, I plan to have propane on property when the cold Wx hits.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 20, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
It seems like most of your equipment is diesel so having a gasoline tank may not be as beneficial but I believe it is possible to get tax exempt gasoline similar to off-road diesel.  At least I thought we did on the farm.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »
It seems like most of your equipment is diesel so having a gasoline tank may not be as beneficial but I believe it is possible to get tax exempt gasoline similar to off-road diesel.  At least I thought we did on the farm.
At the moment we use gasoline for electricity production and a couple asundry tools like the chainsaw. In the future when I hard mount a generator in the "Power Shed" I may have to consider powering it from Propane and upping my supply to a couple thousand gallons of the stuff...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 20, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
I'm the mean time why don't you purchase a 100-150 gallon removable aux tank that you can strap into the bed of pickup. Get one with fuel transfer & alligator clips so you can just hook it to truck battery. When you get home pick it from bed with one of your lawn mowers and secure it at home until needed next go around.

When it comes to fuel tanks my plan is to purchase and own the fuel tanks

However, I want a local propane company to install a 500 or 1,000 gallon tank into a pit I will construct. I have a reason for doing it that way...

The fuel will be purchased from a local company which routinely sells to farms...

Plan on seeing temporary fuel through until next year, however, I plan to have propane on property when the cold Wx hits.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 20, 2016, 10:14:41 AM »
...or....mount one of those sticks from the front of a 47, drive the truck or tractor really fast, and call in some fuel from the sky. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2
« Reply #873 on: July 20, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Couple of things that might make me captain obvious.

Burying propane takes requires a coated tank with an anode for corrosion. Propane=fuel that never goes bad.

Gasoline. For farm use see if you can find a farm supply place. I have one that sells 93 octane with zero ethanol. Mo better for small engines and storage life.

I second Shawns aux tank in the truck idea. You can get a 90 gallon transfer tank and after you get your farm tanks it will still be good to have more fuel on board the truck for bug out

Popular choice seems to be the RDS from northern tool. I have one and have been pleased. I think they only carry the 60 but can order the 90. Note that the capacity is theoretical.  I only get 55 in my 60.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:24:16 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:17 AM »
Another thought is why not go mostly diesel? Yes propane is cheap and stores well but if SHTF diesel will be easier to make or store, you can't make propane and service may stop.

Having gas, diesel and propane is great. But if you want stand alone, diesel is it and then make a small still.

Will they let you or even service an underground propane tank?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 20, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »

Well "this is Kintucky" may be the response.
I'm with ya JR on whether it would be legit or not.
It certainly makes a rather large explosive bunker in my mind.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:22:44 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 20, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »

Well "this is Kintucky" may be the response.
I'm with ya JR on whether it would be legit or not.
It certainly makes a rather large explosive bunker in my mind.

Yep..."This is the Kintuck" is the proper response

Under ground, above ground partially submerged, sinking battleship lookin'...Doesn't matter. Only thing that matters is if the check clears the bank!

Off to get that 6,000 gal water tank...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »
I had a 90 gallon rds tool/ fuel for around 15 years with zero issue. Northern tool ships from factory so you can get 90 gal no problem

Couple of things that might make me captain obvious.

Burying propane takes requires a coated tank with an anode for corrosion. Propane=fuel that never goes bad.

Gasoline. For farm use see if you can find a farm supply place. I have one that sells 93 octane with zero ethanol. Mo better for small engines and storage life.

I second Shawns aux tank in the truck idea. You can get a 90 gallon transfer tank and after you get your farm tanks it will still be good to have more fuel on board the truck for bug out

Popular choice seems to be the RDS from northern tool. I have one and have been pleased. I think they only carry the 60 but can order the 90. Note that the capacity is theoretical.  I only get 55 in my 60.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
Underground propane is very legit. Installation inspection may be required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 20, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
Back in Indiana the propane suppliers installed them or contracted people such as my father in law who was an excavator to install them.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:43 PM »
Shawn isn't the service life shorter on in ground tanks?  I seem to recall that as one reason I decided on above ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 20, 2016, 10:58:08 PM »
Yes, much shorter. They were really going away from them in Indiana, my father in law was pulling a lot of old ones out.

I believe Don isn't going to bury his though, sounds more of like a basement for his above ground tank.....

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 21, 2016, 08:05:12 AM »
Shawn isn't the service life shorter on in ground tanks?  I seem to recall that as one reason I decided on above ground.

A properly installed propane tank with a good bag of anode wired to it will last 30+ years. My neighbor is a propane installer & has personally removed rented underground tanks that were 20-30 years old & were in great shape. The weakest link is the wire to the anode bag. in my situation, Keep this in mind, I had to pour a 10" pad & strap my tank to it because of my water table. A buried propane tank will float if the area gets flooded. In Mass, where I'm from, a 500 gallon tank, up to 200' of line & regulator goes for $2,500.00 installed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 21, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
Good and useful information there^

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 22, 2016, 10:25:45 PM »
I mentioned the tractor three point hitch was repaired

Here's the test lifting one of Deere's new cutters. No, I didn't buy it. I am holding out for a heavy duty (Spendy) Bush-Hog brand cutter so I can munch up small Jap kars along with other weeds, unwanted trees and wildlife which is too slow or too stupid to get out of the way!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 22, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »
What makes Bush Hog that much better?  I'm in  the market for a cutter too and would like to know.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:06 PM »
What makes Bush Hog that much better?  I'm in  the market for a cutter too and would like to know.
They are the original inventors of the thing I believe. And as important as that might be, more important is the fact that they still offer parts for their very first cutters...Because people are still using them!

People swear by them around here. The one I am looking at has a 210 HP gearbox. That's insane!. Heaviest duty cutter Deere put out has a 150HP gearbox, and that is way overkill!

If you are buying Bush-Hog, I'd stay away from the light duty base cutter and go with the middle of the line unit. Frankly the heavy duty cutter will weigh too much for your three point. I think it is around 1,600 lbs!!!

Steel thickness in the impact zones is 1/2" thick/ My J Deere medium duty cutter which tore apart has 10 gage steel.

Bush hog medium and heavy is domed, has reinforcing ribs and on and on.

Its a good unit I think. Mine costs $3500 before tax.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 22, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »
That shiny new one up there must be defective. I don't see no tree cutter option!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 23, 2016, 09:50:03 PM »
That shiny new one up there must be defective. I don't see no tree cutter option!

That's a Big Don "special" edition option.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 24, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »

That's a Big Don "special" edition option.
Yessir it is!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 24, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »
Wow, what a day!
It was Hot
Actually it started out hot then got to insane somewhere during the afternoon
It was so hot...
I took the Pre-Rangers down for some good old "Man-Work" and my brother in law, Corey showed up as he usually does. Having him work there is great, as we normally knock our far more than I would have done by my lonesome.

So I started out with the tractor looking like this:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 24, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »
It doesn't look like that now

Suffice it to say, that although it runs and has all its parts still co-located there is dirt, ash, dust, oil, sweat, scratches, dents, and all manner of things added to that temporary pretty just washed appearance.

I started out by bucking a couple trees and picking up the rocks and carrying them up to "Ranger Wall" that is growing in mass and height daily and that got me pretty winded and sweaty. I guess I wasn't really understanding just how hot it was yesterday.
Poor Corey showed up just when I went to clearing the branches off I had just cut, so he picked up Mr. Stihl and went to working in more trees. Poor guy was going along pretty well but I think it hit him all at once. The heat overwhelmed the guy and he had to get out of it. We rested for a bit, ate lunch, melting in the heat the whole time, then got back on it. After just a short rime he was on his back in the shade trying to recover. I think he was creeping up on heat exhaustion, and at that point I told him, he was done. To his credit, he jumped on the little Deere and cut grass for hours before the evening rolled around.

The biggest Pre-Ranger caved in next. He started complaining of a headache and before long was out of the action as well. Then the little PR caved. He said he just wanted to go home, it was just too hot. So around 1630-1700 I told them they were done. I stayed in it till around 2100 but only because I was running the Deere.

I graded for hours with the box blade and bucked the remaining trees up to a point. By the time I got home the waves of nausea were washing over me and I was also toast. I drank a couple gallons of water and only gave back a pint, maybe using the direct dispensing technique. The rest is either still inside me or accounts for the mud all over the seat of the tractor!

Anyhow this is the scene when I started:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 24, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
And nine hours of misery later:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 24, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
Ranger wall is getting wider and taller:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 24, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »
I think I finally have the grade about right on my little road that is on the farm

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 24, 2016, 06:41:50 PM »
The D-max managed to get covered with dust as well...I fear it may be totalled!

And that was that for one VHD (Very Hot Day)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
WOW, I cannot believe how different it all looks Don!  You can see down to the well site, correct?  Sunday was way HOT in Missouri as well - home now, catching up on "yard work" that was neglected while playing in the heat down south!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 27, 2016, 09:43:05 PM »
It gets seriously hot down here this time of year. If you ain't peeing you ain't drinking enough

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
WOW, I cannot believe how different it all looks Don!  You can see down to the well site, correct?  Sunday was way HOT in Missouri as well - home now, catching up on "yard work" that was neglected while playing in the heat down south!
Correct, Mike

I wanted to be able to see the well and a bit beyond.
Remember all those trees???
Imagine the work it took to move all that?
It will look very different the next time you visit

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 29, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
Road and all looking good.

Hot? On the way back from camp we fished near Oroville. I parked in the shade near churning water and the mirror temp said 111.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal