Hello Guest

Author Topic: concealed handgun license  (Read 8369 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
concealed handgun license
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
So i get to sit in my chl class today and see just how many morons there are trying to get a whatever to carry a hand gun!

Ill let yah know how it goes!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:09:07 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: concealed handgun license
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »
Remember Nate, you can't fix stupid, so don't try!  But, you CAN have fun pointing it out to them!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
Yep, had a guy with a .357 Python "Concealed Carry" gun in my class.

I guess he could conceal it under the bale of straw in the bed of his truck!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:21 AM »

Yep, had a guy with a .357 Python "Concealed Carry" gun in my class.

I guess he could conceal it under the bale of straw in the bed of his truck!

Multi-functional... could double as a boat anchor should he be stuck without an oar :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
I rarely carry concealed. Hard to hide a rifle effectively.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »
246 out of 250, i pulled 3 rds, and one man shot a 247.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:14:26 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »
I rarely carry concealed. Hard to hide a rifle effectively.

Thats called deterrence.

Good shoting
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »
246 out of 250, i bullcrapted 3 rds, and one man shot a 247.

You had to take a class? Or did you just want to take it for S&Gs?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Yeah bobby, tx says you have to take a class, test and shoot 50 rounds.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »
Yeah bobby, tx says you have to take a class, test and shoot 50 rounds.

I know Tx does, but aren't you popping smoke on Tx within the next few months?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
Texas license will let you carry in a lot of other states too. Their is an app that will show you the laws and reciprocity of each state.

The funniest time I had was my requalificarion class. 4 people were asked to leave for not being able to operate their weapon and 4 more were not able to shoot the score. That was 8 out of 20 DQ that were already supposedly carrying for 5 years prior to that. I sat quietly in the back of the class and when it was time to pass your target to the student next to you to buddy score, the guy looked at me and said "really?"  Then he asked the instructor how to score one big ragged hole in the middle.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 07:07:52 PM »
yes bobby I am planning on popping smoke from TX once I transition, but taking the CHL class is the first step in getting the NRA instructor certifications.

my head hurts!

I will say that there was a 29 year old female Captain from arkansas that was wielding a 44 magnum with decent results.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »
1. yes bobby I am planning on popping smoke from TX once I transition, but taking the CHL class is the first step in getting the NRA instructor certifications.

2. my head hurts!

3. I will say that there was a 29 year old female Captain from arkansas that was wielding a 44 magnum with decent results.

1. Ah makes sense, didn't know you were working towards that.

2. Did you wear all the required PPE? If not you better counsel yourself!

3. Pics or it didn't happen Sarge.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »
yes I had on my eye pro, ear plugs and I even had on my DCU boonie

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
i actually got yelled at by the instructor for trying to take a selfie while on the range to show that i had the proper PPE on.  oh and he told me to take my gloves off, because he said that i was intimidating the other students.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 07:41:26 PM »
i actually got yelled at by the instructor for trying to take a selfie while on the range to show that i had the proper PPE on.  oh and he told me to take my gloves off, because he said that i was intimidating the other students.

:o

I had a "range ninja" try and tell me I shouldn't wear gloves when I shoot. I held up my target next to his, looked at him, shook my head, and walked away without saying a word.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 12:24:41 AM »
I have to qual every year for my CCW as a set by the dept under title 18. Have to use both my carry's (SW-MP40 and G23), just 25 rounds. Then they cater lunch and make a party of it. Kills half a day but it is fun to watch how many guys have problems, mostly with uncommon guns.
I can't say I am a dead shot but have qualled more than once with a new gun out of the box.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
I have to qual every year for my CCW as a set by the dept under title 18. Have to use both my carry's (SW-MP40 and G23), just 25 rounds. Then they cater lunch and make a party of it. Kills half a day but it is fun to watch how many guys have problems, mostly with uncommon guns.
I can't say I am a dead shot but have qualled more than once with a new gun out of the box.

Since you retired from the Sheriffs, aren't you allowed to carry everywhere? Or is that the title 18 you were talking about?

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
The LEOSA Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act, (HR 218) means as long as we maintain credentials from an agency and keep up with yearly quals, we can basically carry anywhere with a few exceptions, being some federal complexes, military bases, SS Offices, VA, etc... Some places like NFL arenas are trumping LEOSA, but it hasn't been challenged in court yet.

It's also a good idea to have your CCW as well as your LEOSA credentials. Under LEOSA, we are not protected while under the influence of Alcohol, where as CCW holders in most states are. (That is any measurable influence. A .001 is a measurable influence, thusly not protected)

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »
Sorry for the emoji- that is supposed to read HR 218

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 05:58:30 PM »
Check out the app: Gun Conceal. It gives reciprocity, requirements, restrictions,FAQ, new law updates and range locations and locations of classes. I travel frequently and use this a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
A interesting thing with CCW up here in Minnesota. When I went to the day CCW class up here they asked if I wanted to sign up for Utah CCW also. It was an extra $50.00 or so for the instruction and paperwork. So these instructors were certified both in MN and UT. Once I completed the class and received my cert from the instructors I just needed to get a fingerprint card from the local police and then send it, picture, the UT class cert, and payment and within a few weeks my UT CCW showed up in the mail.

The nice thing about having both a MN and UT CCW is reciprocity. Other than the obvious gun free zone states you can carry in a great majority of them.

When I got my TX CCW back several years ago this wasn't an option. Not sure how many instructors are certified in multiple states but it wouldn't hurt to check if you were looking for a CCW.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »
It is too bad that these United States can not come up with a set of rules and regulations that would allow one permit to be nation wide or at least cover the states that now allow a CCL. I for one can not keep track of the different rules for each state I pass through. I guess if the time comes that I need to protect myself or others, I will worry about it then.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »
Thank you for the link 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 11:11:53 PM »
You betcha! take a look at the app I referenced as well.  Pretty handy in the mean time.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 12:23:40 AM »
You betcha! take a look at the app I referenced as well.  Pretty handy in the mean time.

I tried, but no luck, might be because I don't do apps

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »
That might be a problem....

Here is a link that might help

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/top-10-apps-concealed-carry/

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »
I have been to a public range once and if at all possible that will never happen again. Some of those people made me nervous.
My CCW classes are done at a friends house. He has a range set up so 10 people can safely shoot. We get 5 or 6 friends together and split the cost for a trainer to come there and do the class. I'm not sure if all states allow this, but it works great and you know who you are shooting with. It works out a little cheaper per person that way too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal