Hello Guest

Author Topic: Back in the market for a clip on NV.  (Read 9124 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Back in the market for a clip on NV.
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
Have seen a few and wondered which was preferred by users. I like soft cases but what it protected.

Thermal is back-ordered a couple weeks but that is OK for the price.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »
For those thinking about the Thermal you can get the XR version for $200 on ebay. The XR has a 2x focusable lens (compact can now be focused).

So you can just use your smartphone and scan the yard, woods or room. The mount costs alot for what you get.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
Finally showed up a few days ago. Came with head crusher, mount and 2 soft cases (1 for each)

Nice looking unit, will try to get decent pics at night but it looks like a B/W TV. To my door for just under 2K. Not cheap but got what I wanted.

Got a 850nm IR flashlight to that works great with a mount. Also got a J mount for just $20, but want to add a helmet mount as I may fall down at night  :P

Now onto the Seek Thermal. So far a no go as in not compatible with the 2 phones I have, LG K10 (cell) and Alkatel Ideal (I bought for this!)

I will add the mount is beefy and the camera has a solid feel. Still working with them on this, may go back  :-[

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 01:27:01 AM »
Here it is in my little "mug", say at least a large,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

351 grams/ 12.3 oz, not to bad. As a note this is the single AA battery version, manual gain.

A couple pictures in the backyard. They are OK, it looks like black and white TV (you old guys remember) and gets a little grainy when turn up. The IR flashlight looks like a sealed beam and will be awesome if no one else is looking for you.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2016, 01:30:47 AM »
Those pics do not do it ANY justice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
What is the visual acuity of that unit?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
I think it is over 50.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »
The ones I've used in the Armeee (as Big D calls it) were all green. I think I'd like the black and white much better. Seems like there'd be less chance of headaches. Looks good! I think you'll like it.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
Yep, after looking at em I really liked the BW image, things seem to stand out a little better.

Walked around a school playground with it wow. Looking at houses on the hill it was great. Money well spent.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
The ones I've used in the Armeee (as Big D calls it) were all green. I think I'd like the black and white much better. Seems like there'd be less chance of headaches. Looks good! I think you'll like it.
Green is cool by the way... But green is the amplified light design whereas grays are FLIR
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
Green is cool by the way... But green is the amplified light design whereas grays are FLIR
Either way, the green image in most NVGs always gave me migraines. The PVS-14 took the longest to cause me pain, because I'd adjust the gain all the way down to where I could just make out detail around me. Being able to adjust how bright the image is makes them the bee's knees IMO. All my experience with FLIR have been stand alone units in range towers, Commander's Viewer in Brads, and the driver optics in HMMWVs/Brads.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal