Hello Guest

Author Topic: Time for an upgrade  (Read 2902 times)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:12:36 PM »
So last week I accidentally sold my 2009 700XP Polaris Ranger. I immediately regretted that decision but there’s nothing I can do about it now. It’s at a new home in Georgia and a good man is using it to take his 12 year old son to hunting spots they couldn’t previously get to.

My criteria for the new machine is:
•Seating for 3 at a minimum (myself, HH6, and a car seat. 4-6 seats is even better.
•The ability to lock both front a rear differentials
•Minimum of 10” factory ground clearance. With aftermarket wheels and tires my last machine had 12” and would occasionally scrape on rocks. If I have to add a small lift and tires that’s no problem.
•Under $9,500

Right now it looks like I am limited to a Ranger 570 crew. I like the Honda Pioneer but I keep reading about people having heat issues in the cab. The Kawasaki Mule Pro-fxt and Honda Pioneer 1000-5 both have fold up rear seats but they also both get $12,500+ on the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:09 AM »
In the last 4 days I’ve missed out on two good deals because I couldn’t get off work. They weren’t meant to be but I think if I hold out long enough I’ll find a 900 crew instead of a 570. I think the 44hp 570 will be plenty for my driving style these days but I would pony up some extra cash for the 68hp 900 engine. Plus, the 900 has 1.5” more ground clearance and larger tires from the factory. That would certainly help here in the hills.

Ken, if you see this will you remind me again which machine you have? Seems like I remember you turbocharging one of these things.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:15:09 AM by longball »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Time for an upgrade
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Yeah definitely stay away from pre '13 800 crews. They are heavily detuned. (45 hp )
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
That’s the way my 700 was. 40hp. I drove a 570 3 seater last weekend. Although it’s only rated at 44 HP it felt much better suited to the type of terrain I drive on. I suspect the bigger single cylinder engine makes power at lower rpm than the 700 twin.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
Forgot to add, it doesn't help any that the 800 is only 760cc. Trying to find a local 1000 rzr to graft onto mine right now. very disappointed after all the work I did.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 03:18:10 PM »
Looks like I’m on to a new machine. It’s not what I set out to find, but I think it’ll get me through hunting season.

At the price point I shouldn’t get hurt in it even if I sell it in a year or two. 2013 Kawasaki Teryx 4.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 04:45:54 PM »
That’s a good looking rig. What are the specs?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
2013 Kawasaki Teryx4 750 with 3,900 miles . 2.5” lift, 28” tires, adjustable shocks with external reservoirs, Warn winch with synthetic cable, rotopax fuel can, factory roof and windshield. Only snapped one quick pic on the way home.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:21:17 PM »
That’s really clean for 3900 miles.
I’d have the shine scuffed off and broken bits in that many.  :facepalm:

Nice looking rig for sure.
And Charles will like the colour...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
Looks clean and I like the rear storage.

Not surprised Charles like it,,,,,,,,,

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Sorry Charles it’s not amphibious
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
Sorry Charles it’s not amphibious

But he won't be suing it to cut grass!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »
The rear storage compartment is out of it now but it will get reinstalled when deer season is over. I haven’t had a chance to test it in the mountains yet but I have used it around the house some. I like it’s shorter length compared to the Polaris crew models. I do not like locked rear axle and the small bed though. This rear end should be more durable than the Polaris I had but the blackwater tires are really tearing up the yard. Depending on how much it gets used in the off season I may throw a set of turf tires on the 12” factory wheels.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:46:18 AM by longball »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 10:29:49 PM »
When I get some land one of those will be on the short list with a container for such things.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
I haven’t done anything to thins machine other than use it, hard. It works great in the mountains. Still keeping my eyes open for a Ranger or Honda Pioneer 1000-5 because the tiny, non dump bed and locked rear end will be useless around the house.

Found a logging trail cut on the backside of the mountian I hunt a lot. It would cut my travel time by quite a bit so I gave it a shot a few days ago. I was by myself, no cell service, nobody knew exactly where I was so I lost my nerve on the last hill climb. When the front wheels hit these rocks the front end felt like it was getting a little light. The pic doesn’t do the hill justice.

Not that’s it’s all that important for a machine like this but I like to keep up with fuel mileage on everything. Overwhelming majority of the miles is up and down the mountian. About 1,000ft of elevation gain from cabin to where I hunt.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:27:08 PM by longball »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 04:08:22 PM »
That mud looks like the nasty sucking stuff, did some of that this weekend looking at land.

One of those would be great when I get something.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 06:48:36 AM »
What app is that you are using to track the fuel??

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 07:12:43 AM »
What app is that you are using to track the fuel??
Fuelly.

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 07:08:52 AM »
Thanks I'll give it a shot

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Time for an upgrade
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 10:11:02 PM »
Reposting this since it got deleted a while back.

A buddy and co-worker of mine got his jeep stuck in a drainage ditch a while back. While trying to winch himself out he got his controller tangled up in the fairlead and cut it in half. After splicing it back together it still wouldn't work. Found out later that he blew a 2 amp fuse when he cut the controller.

He was in a spot where we couldn't get another truck to him so the Kawasaki was the only option we had. We tied it off to a tree via the receiver hitch and ran my winch line through a pully on his front bumper and anchored it to another tree. The 4,500lb winch wouldn't have enough oomph without the 2:1. It took a while with such a small winch but we finally got him out. That was the first and only time I've used the little Warn but I was impressed.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:18:16 PM by longball »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal