Hello Guest

Author Topic: A new project  (Read 5264 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A new project
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »
My daughter brought this boat for me to try and get it running and use able. Her grandfather willed it to her but it sat in a pasture for 5 years before he pasted away and she got the boat. She has cleaned out several mouse nest, leaves and stuff from sitting. The boat is a 1996 Lowe 17' with a 1996 Johnson 50 HP engine. I have found the mice have eaten the wires for the ignition switch, the dash mounted fish finder, rear nav lights and the vacuum line going to the speedometer. Along with both seat hinges broken, the engine will run away and the only way to kill it is pump the primer until you flood the engine(vacuum /air leak some place), and there is a parasitic drain on the main battery.  I'm sure more to come with questions because I have never worked on a boat before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A new project
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »
With that much wrong, I would start from scratch.  All new wiring to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
A new project
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 11:02:35 PM »

Possibly use what you can of the old wires to pull new wires into proper locations?

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »

I agree. I had to do this years ago, when my dad and I bought a boat in similar condition. I bought a couple spools of wire, and just started replacing the existing, one by one, until I had replaced them all. I'm no electrician, but small boats are very simple.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
Do a complete redo like these guys are suggesting.
It will be the only way to find all the faults in the wiring.
Do yourself a favour as well and pull an extra couple wires for future.

Weathering may be some of the problem as well. Rubber these days ain’t what it used to be.
Depending there should be conduit of some sort that routes the wiring.
You’ll have to tear down some interior to find it. Then it should be fairly straight forward.

The motor will be something simple. Clean the carbs and go through the rubber lines.

Good luck and have fun.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:57:20 PM »
I think that I'm with all of you on the wiring. For now I'm searching for the diagram of a 6 pole starter switch for the boat I think that the kill circuit is bad on the switch and if it is that will be an easy fix.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 05:23:03 PM »
Maybe something like this?

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/420863-wiring-diagram-johnson-ignition.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
Found that the switch is bad (kill switch not working) so ordered that, wire and a fuse block today also found that the aerator pump is bad will try to take it apart and see if I can fix it or if I need to order one of those

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »
How is the project coming along? Is it up and running yet?

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »
I have the new switch installed and working on running new wires to everything but with the heat index being 100+ this hasn't been high on the priority list. I do have the carburetor rebuild kits on order and waiting for them to come in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
After my recent medical issue the wife hasn't been wanting/letting me do much out side because of the heat. Something about I'm worth more dead than alive but she wants to keep me around a few more years  :undecided:. Took the day off work yesterday and worked on it most of the day. New wiring done, carbs rebuilt, all rubber lines replaced new spark plugs. Need to replace the pitot and hose and install the new depth finder.

Engine problem that has me stumped. The engine will start and run fine but as it warms up it will go from idle to full throttle un-commanded and will not shut down unless you pump the primer or cut off the air to the crab. I have check and can't find any air leaks. I have pulled the carbs off again and re-checked the float level, rechecked the spark plug gap. I'm not that familiar with boat engines but I'm getting exhaust out of the side of the lower unit and from around the prop. Any suggestion?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
Exhaust sounds like it’s coming from the right spots.
It’s routed down and out the lower unit.

Is the butterfly in the carb attached to linkages and throttle cable?
Is it opening up on its own when you are running it?

It’s odd that the key won’t stop it.
Seems like it’s dieseling possibly which means all of the above may not be a thing.

That leads to a timing thing but if it starts and idles...
This ends my experiences as well.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 10:14:26 PM »
Exhaust sounds like it’s coming from the right spots.
It’s routed down and out the lower unit.

Is the butterfly in the carb attached to linkages and throttle cable?
Is it opening up on its own when you are running it?

It’s odd that the key won’t stop it.
Seems like it’s dieseling possibly which means all of the above may not be a thing.

That leads to a timing thing but if it starts and idles...
This ends my experiences as well.

I worked on it some more today, at this point I need to put the interior back together from running wires, replace the hinges for the seats and get the engine from going full throttle.

Just to kind of recap it is a 1996 Johnson 50 HP with electric chock and cable/linkage carbs. Will start and idle (not that great when cold) after it warms up (could be a few minutes or 30 minutes) or after it warms up sometime if you wrap the throttle the engine will go to full throttle. On odd switch or kill switch will not shut the engine off. The only way to get it shut down is pump the primer bulb of smother the carbs. The butterflies on the carbs will stay at or return to idle. I did notice 2 strange things today when I smothered out the carbs after the engine died the carbs "vomited" a small amount of fuel. The other was that there isn't a steady flow of water coming out of upper water outlet(on the heads) is this normal?  Could a weak or bad water pump cause the heads to heat up cause the engine to do this?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »
weak or bad impeller and or clogged port sir. you're overheating the heads causing the dieseling is my assumption. you should have a steady stream of water coming out on the muffs.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
weak or bad impeller and or clogged port sir. you're overheating the heads causing the dieseling is my assumption. you should have a steady stream of water coming out on the muffs.

Thanks, that is what I was think but wasn't sure

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
I have a pretty new water pump but can't lift over 8# because of a surgery and I think the lower housing will be over that. Update when I can work on it again

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 09:52:32 PM »
Daughter, son and son in-law came down. The young people replaced the water pump drained out the old gas and changed fluid in the lower end. While I finished up the seats. The thing starts and runs great, no problems. The kids will be taking it to the lake tomorrow. One more project complete one of these days the kids will no longer need my help on stuff and that will be a sad and happy day.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »
How’s the recovery??

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 01:40:28 PM »
How’s the recovery??

Slow, I had my neck fussed and able to lift 35 pounds now which truly cuts into me doing a lot of stuff. I have an appointment with the surgeon end of next week and home to move up in what I can lift but don't know if he will do that with doing the visit over the phone. Stupid virus! But on the upside I have total feeling back in both arms/hands and my strength is coming back. Wo der why I waited 20 years to get the surgery done.

Thanks for asking

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 08:24:53 PM »
Glad to hear.  Take it slow. It’s tempting to do more but then you know all that

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 07:14:17 AM »
Glad to hear.  Take it slow. It’s tempting to do more but then you know all that

And the wife won't let me forget. She watches me like a hawk

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
Tell me about it. Mine was belly,  I can’t imagine the hounding I would have got with neck.
I’m still getting the gears and it’s a little late now for me.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
Tell me about it. Mine was belly,  I can’t imagine the hounding I would have got with neck.
I’m still getting the gears and it’s a little late now for me.
Is that part of the better or worse part of the wedding vows? You need to get better or I will act worse.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 11:27:10 AM »
Oh I’m good. Mama just worried now is all.
I’m a bit stubborn (read stupid) at times and use the strong like bull smart like tractor mentality.
Mama certainly had the for better or worse.
She developed a new appreciation for everything I did.

Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »
Oh I’m good. Mama just worried now is all.
I’m a bit stubborn (read stupid) at times and use the strong like bull smart like tractor mentality.
Mama certainly had the for better or worse.
She developed a new appreciation for everything I did.
We maybe cut from the same cloth

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal