FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

getting started

(1/2) > >>

Nate:
So as a kid I used to watch and sometimes help my grandmother can or preserve food that was grown from the garden or picked fresh from the fields.  I also did not know that home preserving/canning was better if not tastier than that store bought stuff as well as cheaper in the long run.

I was not a big fan of eating what we canned because it didn’t come out of a can bought from the store with a flashy label on it.  That was until I got older and realized the value of what we were doing and just how much healthier, fresher and tastier the food was.

So lets start off with a few basics of what you will need in order to can or preserve food.
1. a pressure canner (not the same as a pressure cooker)
2. a large pot (used for sterilizing and or water bathing jars)
3. canning utensils
4. a good canning/preserving book
5. jars and lids
6. vinegar (store bought is the best because the acidic levels are a constant)
7. some regular cooking oil
8. salt (there are 2 kinds canning/pickling and kosher)

Once you have these items, you will be ready to start learning how to preserve/can food.

Bob Smith:
I haven't been canning anything but tuna for the past many years. what an easy way to hold all the fruits and garden items and the tomatoes that are so abundant this time of year. With the tuna, we have moved the operation outside and use propane to can with. Sure keeps the smell out of the house that way.

Flyin6:
New thread: How to can!!!!
Pretty please???

BobbyB:
^^ I agree, canning tuna would save money since I love tuna sandwichs.

Nate:
Not really bobby, cause you would have to go to the east or west and catch it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version