WEAPONS > Ammo & Reloading

.300 Win Mag...decisions

(1/5) > >>

Guyton:
so im no stranger to hunting and shooting. but the .300 win mag is a new creature to me. what is everyone using or suggesting for tighter groups and better accuracy? right now im shooting the winchester model 70 and using winchester 180gr ballistic silvertip. this is strictly hunting only, need something for these great NWern elk and other furry creatures.

Nate:
watch out, we have the marines in here now!  do you still have my buddy Gene's number that i gave you a while back?

Guyton:
i dont think i do. i remember getting in contact with him about a glock but was able to find one locally and now its heavily modified and is my bedside gun and AP gun when i dont conceal.

Bob Smith:
I really like the 300 Win Mag, don't know if you reload or not but my loads are 180 Gr. Speer SP in front of 80 gr. H1000, with a CCI 250 starting the fire in my Ruger No. 1 and 180 Gr. Speer MT or Hornady interbond in front of 74.5 gr. of H4831 with a CCI 250 starting the fire in my T/C Icon. Both loads use FC brass. I am using the Hornady's now because I can't find the Speer Mag Tip. I can not recommend a factory round as I have not used one in many years except to compare the fired case to my reloads. With these loads I am getting +- 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds. and no more meat damage than with  308 or 7mm rounds depending on where it hits of course. I believe it is not as much about how fast it can get there, as it is about what happens when it does.

Flyin6:
I used to load the .300

And I can't remember squat about the loads

I remember I experimented always using resized Remington brass. I loaded up some really heavy Barnes Bullets which kicked like a mule, then played with the .308 186 gr NMBT bullet. I loaded that one down and pushed it to case rupture. All were fired from my Remington 700 BDL, 24" barrel. I want to say I was groping well with the heavier bullets at medium loads of powder

I know, I didn't tell anyone squat. but I do love that .300!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version