Hello Guest

Author Topic: What do you do with a 2006, 115k DMax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  (Read 42364 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: What do you do with a 2006, 115k DMax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »
So last week I got a used BCM with matching SN, figured it would run at least,,,,,,,,

Finally after finishing the tree work, I put the BCM is this AM. Low and behold it fired right up and except for the radio and security lights, run fine.

Run it down the local GM dealer and it took them less than an hour to reflash the BCM. Have everything back now, dash lights, 4x4 indicator and left side dash lights.

$175 for the flash, $60 for the BCM and I am happy!

Just as a note, do NOT tap off the under dash fuse panel for straight power, use a relay!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 05, 2019, 05:31:18 PM »
Yeah JR. There is an upfitter manual that shows how to use the extra connections and relays. It’s in my dually and LB7 build. There is a AC Delco pigtail that plugs right into the fuse box by the left foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 05, 2019, 05:51:30 PM »
Yes, I used the pigtail but ran both the lift pump and water injection controller off the same line. Lesson learned!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 05, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
Yeah. No bueno. I think the max is 10 amps on the high amperage wire and 500mA on the trigger wire that is driven by the BCM. Iirc

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2019, 03:52:46 AM »
Ordered ball joints and new Napa CV shafts (left clunking in a turn). Ball joints are bolt in for the cognito uppers and the CV are supposed to have a better boot and a tad longer for lifted trucks. Both are lifetime warranty.

For the LCA it is either the one I have listed above or these from Amazon/A1Auto, both lifetime warranty and about the same price. (unless you can get me a better deal Ken?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747PN2S7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2MGSZPXVREGIG&psc=1

Gets me everything I need for the lift unless I need to adjust the rear height.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
I’d stick to OEM... lifetime warranty is great until you’re having to rip everything off to replace them.

Do you need new LCAs for the lift, or something else?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
I’d stick to OEM... lifetime warranty is great until you’re having to rip everything off to replace them.

Do you need new LCAs for the lift, or something else?

Just easier and cheaper to get new vs taking the old off and having them rebuilt.

Aftermarket are forged vs iron and have poly boots over plastic. Cost is about the same for OEM.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
I have those cognitos in both the D-Max and the burb...Like em'
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 09, 2020, 01:31:33 AM »
Got to get my threads in order here.

Now have 201k on the the truck. Had to get it reflashed at the dealer for Kali issues, then will bump it up again after that is done. Was PPEI tuning and they could not do a thing for me. Funny thing is after the flash, mph and range has stayed the same? (4.56 gears-52 gal tank-35 tires) I can see where the mph could be OK, but not the tank range.

So real quick here the lift is finally going on (keep getting side tracked) as the weather played with me last year and don't need that this year. Plus pulling that hill at the ridge in 2wd vs 4wd with the diff gears gets fun.

I need to rebuild the front axle before the build and have all the parts. I have found a comp that sells a limited slip for the front, but only as a whole unit. $1800, plus shipping and cores. Thinking on it hard but not sure yet. Its a lot to put out and I will loose $$ selling my other stuff unless I can send to them to use the gears and setup stuff.

Company is Ryans Diesel Service in Wisc. ( https://kodiaktruck.com/ ) Was watching some vids when I found them.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 09, 2020, 02:52:38 AM »
Also put new batteries in again. Old Costco Interstates were just 18 month old, weren't holding a charge real good. Gone dead 3 times in the last few months charging little items that should have little effect.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2020, 10:25:27 PM »
Looks like I should finally clean the injectors, number 7 is way high!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
I’ll bet you don’t get it down to half that number by cleaning them

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2020, 02:15:39 AM »
Hope so, I understand it should be 4 or less (+/-) and is recommended every 50k.

At least it passed emissions today without a hitch. Got a lot of goodies to go on.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2020, 06:25:11 AM »
Was that in park or in gear?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »
Park and only works if idling.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 30, 2020, 12:08:58 AM »
Cleaned the injectors today. Didn't do much. Was a pain getting the lines off but it went smooth otherwise.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2020, 12:10:50 AM »
Except for #7 they look great. All within the "4" range, took about 3 hours.

I changed the backup LEDs. Not much better than before but now they both work. (old is the big one)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:13:05 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2020, 10:17:37 AM »
Keepin' these old trucks running well is:
1. Fun
2. Makes good sense
3. Causin' headaches for GM new truck sales guyz

And mine just hit 115K and running great!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
Going to figure the tune when I get back from getting the trailer tomorrow. Solid 100hp is not asking much today.

Mine runs great, but I still need the lift and the new tires both sitting here. Just have to build the front diff. Was contemplating a truetrac, it can be done or you frop 1800 on it. Ryans Diesel has em ready to go.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 02, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
Well, after a few days the injector cleaner seemed to do its thing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2020, 03:17:34 PM »
Just got off the phone with Inglewood transmissions. I have a tentative date of next friday, the "13th" to get my tranny and tcase done. (yes I have a rub through)

Only hold might be for parts. Sounds like a good guy and I get to watch!

With all I have planned still, get the guts working right first. I have gotten chatter pulling sometimes and it heats up easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2020, 03:21:58 PM »
Have him do a trans cooler upgrade also

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »
We talked about that, $425.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2020, 05:40:33 PM »
$425 and peace of mind now or cost of a new trans and all of the garbage to go with it later?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:41:18 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 03, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
Working on a new lift pump, trying the Carter P4601HP. 95gph, 8-12 PSI. Mounting is a pain where the kennedy is.

Tried to copy my stock tune, no good. Need to do that to run a better tune.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2020, 02:48:02 AM »
Pump went in fine. Little loud but who cares when trucks running. I liked the kennedy pump, but its not enough for 500hp unless you stack em. Might as well get a big system then.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:03:33 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 08, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »
So under this the other day I notice the overload springs site right on the main pack. Not the norm right, should be some space in there?

I do have new deavers for it, guess I will need airbags for towing now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
Got the tranny rebuilt at Inglewood Transmission and the pump rub fixed! http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=4640.new#new

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »
Nice! Read about it over there...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2020, 10:26:50 PM »
Now to address the tune and the lift. Only been a few years right :cheesy:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2021, 01:10:05 AM »
Headlight update. I posted elsewhere about finding the best lights for this beast. I went with the JDM LED headlights at Don's suggestion. While not bad for $40 they just didn't do what they should. Now they were better than the stocks but I wanted more. They still work and looking they are rated around 35watt.

Much of this is the reflector, still working on that really. Right now I run TYC's (oriellys) that work OK, but the pattern could be better. It is more square than flat and has a lot of bleed over. I tried a couple other headlight assm, but one broke before I even got it on, another that was projector style could not be adjusted when installed (who was the rocket scientist there?)

So I am still running the TYC assm but after watch a few vids I settled on SNGL LEDs. Not their high end at $140 a pop (some brands are $200), but the mid range for $60 a pair and are rated at 55 watts. These have a smaller LED footprint being 2 leds vs the 3 leds on the old one. They also can be focused and turned once you get the base set. The base is a "JOY" on both of these as they do not fit like OEM halo's and you have to find the sweet spot to lock em in. These also have a built in fan and hookup on a pigtail vs on the light itself. Fit is tight but it works. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNF185Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Then they have a set screw once you get em where you want.

The pattern is still more a square but the output is much brighter. Before when the light were on and the fogs (JDM leds also) all the output would blend together. Now the headlights are way brighter than the fogs and they reach out much better in high beam (JDM issue) and of course I have the all headlight mod. I had even polished the fogs lens for this and it was still obvious.

One issue is the adjusting, since I have a SB intake you cannot get to the up/down adjust on the pass side as the hole is used. I simply drilled a hole next to it and use a wobble end to adjust them. 

Next step is going to GM OEM headlights to see if the pattern improves. Now I can get them on Amazon so returns are easy if they don't have a better pattern.

Just about there for the lift, acquired a front driveshaft with a cardon joint I found was needed for highway driving in 4x4. Was under $200 shipped but fedex really buggered the shipment and box up. Shaft is OK as I watched it out for delivery 6 days before I got it. As the truck will get deaver rear springs, airbags will be a must for towing. Heck the overloads sit on the regular springs now. Of course after 207k miles there might be a little sag.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2021, 11:58:58 PM »
Another little thing with the LED bulbs. As they come they do not fit in my housing. I ran into this before and it ends up the O-ring is to thick. I simply swapped the old ones on, and they fit fine. It maybe the aftermarket housings, but I have no old ones to check.

I just passed 208k and checked the balance rates again after I cleaned them a couple months back. Remember I run a lift pump, Cat 0750 filter up top and a fleetpride filter below at the pump with a 52gal Titan tank. I also run my additive, 2 cycle wally oil, about 1/2oz per gal, same for all my tractors and will do so in my kubota gen too. So far so good so you guys on the fence do this!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »
Well, with this Realman meet possibly on the horizon I am thinking of a new radio for this thing. Sub would be cool but until i have some miles on it a trip that far is iffy.

So what radio would you guys recommend? Double Din, bose system in there now with XM. I don't use the CD player at all but want the XM on GPS in there without a tag to my cell, which works OK. Probably install myself, but depending on the system Bestbuy gives you free installation. Not looking to crank the tunes, listen a lot of talk radio, but like my music too (just not the head beater stuff)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »
Anything with a built in camera option,  what Don just installed is a standard good option for sure!,  mine and the wife’s is long over due for an upgrade

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2021, 08:40:11 PM »
Pioneer and alpine seem to have some good stuff. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2021, 10:17:24 PM »
Always liked Alpine, reverse is a must too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2021, 02:45:52 AM »
I’ve been looking at Kenwood stuff. Alpine always seemed like the best/most popular, but then I had one and hated it - too hard to operate. However, that was a single DIN.
Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2021, 04:01:27 PM »
Well, with this Realman meet possibly on the horizon I am thinking of a new radio for this thing. Sub would be cool but until i have some miles on it a trip that far is iffy.

So what radio would you guys recommend? Double Din, bose system in there now with XM. I don't use the CD player at all but want the XM on GPS in there without a tag to my cell, which works OK. Probably install myself, but depending on the system Bestbuy gives you free installation. Not looking to crank the tunes, listen a lot of talk radio, but like my music too (just not the head beater stuff)
I got this one

Double din

I just installed an alpine head with no moving parts, super simple and mid $300's. Add to that a plug and play Sirius and buy the subscription, Ditch the Bose, they are not great speakers. The Polk audio replacements are so much better. Finally a plug in sound ordnance sub and you're off to the races.

So are you coming to Real Man?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2021, 04:13:07 PM »
If I get one with XM, I keep my lifetime sub going! So another vote for alpine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2021, 12:10:33 AM »
Well, besides the radio, this thing needs rear bags now! My rear leafs sit on the overloads now.

I am looking at the Firestone 2250 kit on Amazon. Way cheaper than summit. With the lift it 4 inch springs so I guess I can add a spacer later and flip the ubolts.

Manual filling is fine but I may add a compressor with a small tank.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline America.Mike

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
Slapped the tires/wheels on just for fun. 4 are chrome that need cleaning pretty bad. 1 is painted, looks the best and where all should end up.
I’m really digging this old suburban!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2021, 11:02:17 PM »
So doing the fuel filters for a run up to the Ridge and something looked funny.

Heres a hint;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2021, 12:16:10 AM »
Your running board looks a little saggy.
Ryan

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2021, 12:21:12 AM »
Nope, something else is saggy,,,,,,,,,,,but that is real close! lower
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:32:03 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2021, 12:41:15 AM »
Fuel tank?
Ryan

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2021, 01:42:36 AM »
Fuel tank?

Bingo!!

Front corssmember is gone, just that tab left. Still had the 2 rear straps, but this could have been messy, even dangerous!

Had the stuff to fab it thank goodness, ready for paint!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2021, 12:49:05 AM »
So I have been hearing a clicking from the drivetrain I am trying to chase down with little luck.

Happens when I turn left mostly and/or brake. No peddle feedback, stops great. Just the noise??

Started with checking the CVs and whole front end, nothing. Solid hubs, no play in upper ball joints, just a loose bolt on the tie rod support I cleaned up, locktite'd and tightened.

Rotated tires and greased it good, nothing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:00:28 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2021, 12:58:52 AM »
So today after I drop the kids off for scout camp, I pull the rear bearings expecting to find something. Found nothing but it will get new bearings/seals pads and rotors. Bearings did have a little free play, but very little for 218k on them.

I am waiting for 1 inner bearing on monday is all. Maybe I should replace the E brake shoes too but they looks OK.

Ideas? Maybe the posi rear end, but why now after a year? Tate?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »
Those brake shoes see no wear...I say clean them, lube the pivot and reuse for another 218K

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »
JR, can you pinpoint the noise?

I ask because I’ve had an annoying sort of clunk for a couple years now.
Been through everything.
A buddy asked me if I had and said yeah.

On the torsion bar key crossmember ends, there are bushings.
His were shot.
So are mine.

Something to look at if you haven’t.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal