Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 6 Bumpers, Winches, wiring, lights, assembly  (Read 455947 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 6 Starting to finish!!!
« Reply #1100 on: July 02, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
A simple 90 degree bend will space out the rack to give me a wee bit of room behind the carrier for some "other stuff"
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »
That's man-work right there. That model 3 bender will flat work out your entire upper body. I prefer to keep it manual and not air/hydraulic just to get the workout. It's like upright rows, about 60 reps, pulling with every ounce of your strength

YEA!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
The three horizontal tubes will run through 4 steel rectangle sections mounted upright.

Should be pretty strong

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
And 24 holes later:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
The fit was tight! I had to wiggle the bars onto and down the tubes an eighth of an inch at a time until I got them in position.

Not sure if I am staying right here with 4 or maybe add in another for good measure

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:48 PM »
The fit is zero clearance and alignment was spot on

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 02, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
And that took me up to 1930...time to clean myself up as well as that black mutt and cook up some spaghetti for the pre-rangers

That would be build day #275

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »
Did you mention where you acquired the hinges? I like those, they look pretty well made.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:29 PM »
Did you mention where you acquired the hinges? I like those, they look pretty well made.
I made them up from loose parts, Ken
Poly bushing in a DOM sleeve with a grease zerk
Got them from Ruff-Stuff
Then several shock tabs in 1/2" drilled out to 19/32"
9/16 X 4" bolts with nylon lock nuts

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:38 AM »
The fit was tight! I had to wiggle the bars onto and down the tubes an eighth of an inch at a time until I got them in position.

Not sure if I am staying right here with 4 or maybe add in another for good measure
Either way it will be plenty strong.
But it looks to be calling for one more. Not that it will likely be seen once all loaded up. The 'hinges' look like they'll be first class also.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: July 03, 2015, 12:37:05 AM »
Made some good progress, I bet those spacers are 1x3. The hinges have some give but still hold all that up.

I see you got the boxes already, thats a pretty healthy stack? Did you find a good price?

Buy the way guys, Ruff stuff is having a sale right now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 03, 2015, 09:52:25 AM »
Made some good progress, I bet those spacers are 1x3. The hinges have some give but still hold all that up.

I see you got the boxes already, thats a pretty healthy stack? Did you find a good price?

Buy the way guys, Ruff stuff is having a sale right now.
I shopped over at CPO, a big tool store online. The reconditioned boxes made the case for me. New was $44 I think, but those cost me $27. The 6" and 10" were pretty reasonable as well. Cheapest pricing I could find

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: July 03, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »
So, I had a visit from "Dan-The-Man" a local guy who has a farm, fab shop (Big one), is a self sufficient guy, and a master welder.

He is going to build the aux fuel tank for Square D. We measured it up and came up with a dimension of 61" wide by 19" tall by 9"-10" deep.

Going to this web site which converts measurements into volume and any other conversion you can come up with,

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

I come up, oddly enough with a volume of 5.07 gallons for every inch of depth.

So working with a tank 10" deep, I'd have around 55 gallons, minus some air space for expansion, so let's say 52 gallons.

Now I wanted over 100 gallons and possibly much more, but with that much fuel, I will weigh quite a bit and that tank will take up some space, so it's time to stop dreaming here and get practical.

I have a 36 gallon tank in there already. Adding the 52 more would give me 88 gallons. On the open highway this truck will exceed 20MPG and likely be able to get upwards of 25 MPG. Pulling the trailer at around 65MPH I estimate a 20%-25% decrease in mileage.

25MPG - 25% = 18.75MPG

So, 88 gallons gives me a theoretical range of 1650 miles
For perspective, I could drive from Cincinnati to El Paso, Tx or to Salt Lake City, unrefueled

Or in a survival situation where I drive 30 miles once a week to get supplies,
I could operate without refueling for some 58 weeks or 1 Jan until the middle of February, the following year!

So, my question is how much is enough?

The Chevy, by comparison, has 57 gallons + 15 on the spare can rack, or 72 gallons and it gets around 16MPG pulling a trailer...

Every inch I add to the depth of the tank gives me 5 more gallons, but I sacrifice 1" of floor space...

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 03, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »
I'm thinking you're right with the questioning of how much is enough.
Just a thought, and this may be where the 9-10 inches came from, why not keep at wheel well height. Just adds another same level support. Definitely too low for a 'desk' but would work for cot height. Paired up with the 10 inch Bosch boxes at the gate.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 03, 2015, 12:01:45 PM »
I'm thinking you're right with the questioning of how much is enough.
Just a thought, and this may be where the 9-10 inches came from, why not keep at wheel well height. Just adds another same level support. Definitely too low for a 'desk' but would work for cot height. Paired up with the 10 inch Bosch boxes at the gate.
No, don't think so.
I planned from the beginning for the tank to fit up front, near the COG and nestled beneath the steel halo I built. It will have the least impact on handling, off camber driving and utility of that small interior space.

It's staying right there. but the real question is not so much where, but how much. 100 gallons gets me from here to California or a couple more months in a post collapse scenario.

But thinking about that, would I even be able to drive anywhere, say to the local amish community to "Buy" milk after a month or two. At some point the criminals and desperate people will take notice and want to ambush me just to grab what I have...fuel, guns, even aspirin. So how far does one need to drive, and for how long will one actually drive on roads festooned with bandits and opportunists?

Again, I've been there, in post collapse areas (Iraq) and brother, it aien't safe to be out and about.

Would I even attempt to get a sick child to a hospital? Would the hospital even still exist or be operational? Would a dying child be triaged behind wounded police or government personnel? I think so. It this thing cashes in it's chips, and I for one believes it will, a collapse of the money system, then you really will be on your own.

I guess I am thinking out loud here and making a decision. I am thinking one's best chance is going to hold out in a secure site. For me that means my rural location. If I cache fuel, it ought to be in 55 gallon drums placed underground, and not in the fuel tank of a vehicle that could be lost in one ambush.

So, I'm going to go for a modest size tank, 9"-10" wide and live with the extra 55 gallons, or make it work...decision made!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 03, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
The tank up front would give the best protection too, but don't overlook the space next to the wheel wells. About the only thing you can really store there are wheel chocks or fluids. They make a couple of drawers for the rear but they never really grabbed me, and they are pricey!

Gotta run down to DMV this morning and register the 1101. Has to be "inspected" here then you get 5 year plates that are like $10. Same time get a temp plate for the Sub so I can get it smogged and registered.

Did you think of splitting the rear gate out so the tire is on one side and the fluids are on the other so you don't have all the swing weight?

As for health care when trouble hits, that hard to say. If the system is own, they may just treat those who can be helped and let the fatally injured slip away. Keeping resources for those you can help will prolong the ability to help and even in bad times many will give up a lot for a child. Its us old farts they won't help, less they are persuaded.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 03, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
Speaking of tanks and spce here is what I have in my Max. Simple sheets let me store items and boxes that don't move and ammo cans fit well. Up front I have a meth tanks, same height as the wheel well.

Not the best picture but you get the idea. They are just simple right angle bends with a couple screws or rivets.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 03, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Some very thought provoking posts there 6. 

I'm using the 105 gal tank in the Zombie Ford (which I am about a week away from starting back up on) and it never occurred to me to consider the weight of the fuel. My tank full will be pushing 800#s.  Pretty significant amount of weight and loss of performance.  With a tuned 12 valve not so much an issue but what if I don't get the swap done by the time things go south?  Then I'm left with a seriously loaded down, barely adequatly powered pig lol.  Wheels are definitely turning in my head now.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
To all: Yes, this is all a juggling act where what you precieve as your challenges you respond to in a manner befitting your situation and budget and timeframe.

The more I think about it, I wouldn't want to get the truck locomotive heavy like it's headed now, but keep it sane and well balanced. Now, having a thousand gallons of fuel cached would offset the tank size, although a 12 valve with over 80 gallons is going to keep going for a long time.

Don't know if I can post tonight, but I did manage to get the swing away carrier mounted up and got well into fabbing on it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 03, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
Before starting I decided to add in that fifth upright. It would work out nearly perfectly to space them 17" apart and build an elongated piece for the end which is going to lock down to the left side

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
After some careful and painstaking measurements it was time to fish-mouth the tubes and weld them to the poly bushing sleeves

Offline duramaxdarren

• self proclaimed nice guy
  • Registered
  • hooper drives the boat chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 03, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »
don, if and when the collapse happen do we and i mean the good people on this site do we all pool our talents and resources? perhaps on your farm?
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 03, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
But drilling freehand is not without hazard. I went through a half dozen drill bits trying to freehand those cuts

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 03, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
don, if and when the collapse happen do we and i mean the good people on this site do we all pool our talents and resources? perhaps on your farm?
Well Darren, that is something we can talk about in private. However I would point out that even though you would be welcome, you'd never make it. The east coast will be a war zone of either police controlled areas or outright anarchy in the other 95% of the areas. The highways will be full of mischief. I don't expect anyone in massive population centers left or right to fare well, just too many people. I've seen the results of that in Baghdad and other crowded places where government control collapsed.

An economic crisis, which almost certainly is coming right up will be subtle. Things will just stop working and within 12 hours or so large scale rioting, looting, burning, vengeance slayings, gang violence and who knows what will be upon us. By the time the tv and internet goes dead you will be about where you could travel to and whatever you'll have will be your survival stuff. Better to organize with like minded folks in the houses around you, if there are any.

You have a 900 mile trip to get to Kentucky, I'd give you 0% chance of making it the first 100 miles. And with the stealthy onset of a financial crisis, you'll never have the 2-3 days you'll need to pack up and move out without getting stuck on a highway, then having no protection to the wolves who will be constantly circling.

Hate to be a doom and gloom guy here, but better for you, the leader of your home and family to get that quick slap across the face now so you can really access what is going on, and what will happen.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 03, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
And here it is tacked in place after some fitting

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: July 03, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »
At this point I pulled it off and welded up the first upright brace to hold everything in place, and began welding in the bushing sleeves

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 03, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »
Those tube to bushing sleeve welds are highly stressed so I lapped them with some 1/8" stock, hammering it to conform to the various pieces it was getting welded to

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 03, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
Then the thing was bolted back onto the mount

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 03, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »
Next A diagonal brace is welded in, effectively making the tire mount act like a girder

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 03, 2015, 08:13:31 PM »
Then a second one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 03, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
I welded it everywhere the parts touched

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 03, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »
no you are very correct. i didnt even think that far ahead. i do have a good friend that did alot of time the middle east and awhile ago warned yemen was to be a hot spot and turned out true. he is a distguized marksman and has a cache of good stuff. he works for homeland security at logan airport. id be headed he was. i'll send up smoke signals to let know im ok
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 03, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »
The apex of that chevron is where the spare tire mount will reside. I will be using one of the centers I cut out of the stock HMMV wheels when I built those

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 03, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »
that tailgate and those welds are awesome!!! most impressive.
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 03, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »
no you are very correct. i didnt even think that far ahead. i do have a good friend that did alot of time the middle east and awhile ago warned yemen was to be a hot spot and turned out true. he is a distguized marksman and has a cache of good stuff. he works for homeland security at logan airport. id be headed he was. i'll send up smoke signals to let know im ok
Should be plenty of smoke around!

Not the place, but since you brought it up. Everyone needs to consider what is going and take actions to protect themselves. If you live in a urban area because a job has you there, then, and this is going to be blunt, that job will be death of you should the economy collapse. We are facing some really difficult questions. Do we go for the six figure job in a city to get to the earnings we always wanted? But what if the government does collapse? Well, the answer is, because of your decision you will pay the consequences which will likely be your demise.

Sorry it's so blunt, but the Army in me doesn't have time for PC window dressing...just the facts. The facts that arm you with the information you need to kill the enemy or survive and nothing more.

Let's say you decide to can the corporate career. Good choice! Move...Leave, get rural and get a job. Live in a small house and drive an old pickup and put the wife in a five year old reliable car and make it work. When the smoke starts to rise from that city 40 miles away, you'll be watching it for long afterward. While people will be breaking in your home and stealing from you or worse in urbanville, in the country you'll be going over to the neighbors with a can of flour and asking for a few aspirin and offering to bring in the corn.

It's all a choice. And please, don't say anything to me or anyone, but get real quiet and really ask yourself those questions. Do you believe the house of cards is going to tumble down? Is no, the drive on, I pray all the time you are right. If you decide the evidence and that knot in your gut is speaking to you, then do something.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
This is how far it will open before something starts binding

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 03, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
And closed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 03, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
Here the next to the last upright is positioned and welded in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 03, 2015, 08:29:05 PM »
And here the end cap piece is fitted but not welded. I need to custom fit this piece in so I left the ends long and will cut them later

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 03, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »
So there it is, the end of build day 276.

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 03, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »
I have thought and ive started taking steps. like you said I'll say no more other than good advice and taken to heart.
 back to the build, that thing can be used as a weapon its so bad*&%
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 03, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
I may have missed it but you said you were going to custom fit the end piece. Are you going to wrap it around the drivers side tail light?

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 03, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
And another question.  In your Bosch tool box thread you mentioned having a cot in the camper shell how do you plan to deal with the fumes from the diesel tank?   I have a shell on my Dodge and I'm contemplating putting one on the Ford but with the tank in the bed I am hesitant because everything you put back there will smell like diesel. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 03, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
I may have missed it but you said you were going to custom fit the end piece. Are you going to wrap it around the drivers side tail light?
Right now, I am going to try and keep it inside of the taillight. I want to run the latch bar up from the bumper and attach to the steel halo to tie all that together, but we'll see...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 03, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
And another question.  In your Bosch tool box thread you mentioned having a cot in the camper shell how do you plan to deal with the fumes from the diesel tank?   I have a shell on my Dodge and I'm contemplating putting one on the Ford but with the tank in the bed I am hesitant because everything you put back there will smell like diesel. 
Just vent it outside. Most of the mil aircraft I flew had aux tanks on the inside...some were even the bottoms of seats! Never smell any of that jet gas in those noisy and vibrating machines.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 04, 2015, 12:58:56 AM »
This is how far it will open before something starts binding

Or the truck tips over.  :o

Looking good though. Can't wait to see the new door. Maybe a flip down cook/repair area on the back?

Oh, and fuel is #6 a gallon, not #8 if you have a 100 back there (not you Don)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 04, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »
Don,  usually no matter what you build, adding weight causes a bit of sag.  Did you fab it with the free end up an inch or so as to sit level when loaded?  Think those concrete beams for bridges or the deck of a flat bed 18 wheeler unloaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 04, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »
I think someone posted it before, but looking at the gate when it's closed and open. To me and my own opinion, I think it'd be nice to have the gate anchored at both ends, and opening in the center. Less weight hanging off the end when it's fully opened, and when stowed the tire will help conceal the lock, hasp or whatever the case may be, that you'll invariably use to secure it when closed. But again that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:10:12 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 04, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »
As for TEOTWAWKI, just keep an eye on Greece right now.  You can see it unfold as it likely will in the US.  Everyone has their own opinion on how "the end" will come.  Will it come over 6 months like Greece or will it come in 2 days like a massive EMP?  Only you can decide what is your risk tolerance and when the timing is right to transition from mainstream society to rural life. What ever you decide, I strongly suggest you have a written plan and faithfully execute it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 04, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
so why not move the extra tank to the M1101 trailer and use that as a supply point for square d and other diesel things?  I say this because it is almost looking like you might be overloading 1 of your 2 prime movers?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal