Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 6 Bumpers, Winches, wiring, lights, assembly  (Read 456114 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 6 Starting to finish!!!
« Reply #1150 on: July 04, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »
This is how far it will open before something starts binding

Or the truck tips over.  :o

Looking good though. Can't wait to see the new door. Maybe a flip down cook/repair area on the back?

Oh, and fuel is #6 a gallon, not #8 if you have a 100 back there (not you Don)
JR, the rack will be carrying water cans @ 8PPG
Copy and diesel is around 6.5-6.8 PPG, same as jet gas depending on the blend. Let me see if I can remember all that
Jet A: 6.5
JP5: 6.5
JP8: 6.8
Diesel #1: 6.8
JP4: 6.4
Fuel oil: 6.8

I think that is close. Fuel/weight calculations...helo/jet fliggin stuff. Do it like 5 times per day...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 04, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »
Don,  usually no matter what you build, adding weight causes a bit of sag.  Did you fab it with the free end up an inch or so as to sit level when loaded?  Think those concrete beams for bridges or the deck of a flat bed 18 wheeler unloaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sure did RN
It sits about 1.5-2" taller than need be.
Plus it sits on there at a slight angle so that it wants to close. By opening it the thing starts to tilt uphill, so that you have to actually have to hold it open. Full disclosure here: I did that by accident, but I like the way it works!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 04, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
I think someone posted it before, but looking at the gate when it's closed and open. To me and my own opinion, I think it'd be nice to have the gate anchored at both ends, and opening in the center. Less weight hanging off the end when it's fully opened, and when stowed the tire will help conceal the lock, hasp or whatever the case may be, that you'll invariably use to secure it when closed. But again that's just my opinion.
It's just not as strong that way Bobby. By having it latch over on the side I can build a full height latch and have one solid anchor. If I make a two part gate that latches in the middle I'd have to keep the anchor system below the opening line of the tailgate, or outside the opening arc of the door. So that's why I did it this way

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 04, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
As for TEOTWAWKI, just keep an eye on Greece right now.  You can see it unfold as it likely will in the US.  Everyone has their own opinion on how "the end" will come.  Will it come over 6 months like Greece or will it come in 2 days like a massive EMP?  Only you can decide what is your risk tolerance and when the timing is right to transition from mainstream society to rural life. What ever you decide, I strongly suggest you have a written plan and faithfully execute it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Changing back and forth between the build thread and Darren's chat thread here ;-)) is making me dizzy!
Talk about biblical...but anyone notice the amount of money a citizen is allowed to withdraw?
$66
What's that "mark of the beast?" three 6's, isn't it???
We're close brothers...pretty close

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 04, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
so why not move the extra tank to the M1101 trailer and use that as a supply point for square d and other diesel things?  I say this because it is almost looking like you might be overloading 1 of your 2 prime movers?
First of all, the trailer system will have fuel as well, and water, mostly water.
Secondly, this is a 3/4 ton truck, which I have upgraded to full 1 ton specs. A factory truck weighs only 5,850 pounds, with the VE Cummins, according to the Dodge manual
So I added:
Front bumper and winch #400
additional frame stuff:  #150
Steel wheels:  #350
Roof rack and stuff: #175
Aux fuel tank: #450
Rear topper with all the shenanigans: #500
Bed halo: #80
Rear bumper and winch: #300
Rear spare: #140
Rear water #130
Additional wiring and stuff under the hood: #100
Traction bar: #50
Longer springs: #100
Dust accumulated over time: #2000

So addin' all that up, and washin' off the dust first I come up with a NVW of: #8775

So it is in around HMMV weight but with 3 times the power. I'm thinking that is G-T-G

By comparison the Chebby comes in at 8,700 on the local truck scale with far less power.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: July 04, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
I know there has not been much banter about the trailer, so I was not sure what your plans were for it.  I just had to ask.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 04, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
I know there has not been much banter about the trailer, so I was not sure what your plans were for it.  I just had to ask.
Same plan
Part of the survival system...trailer and Square D
Trailer reconfigured as a camper with all sorts of extra stuff onboard

Offline duramaxdarren

• self proclaimed nice guy
  • Registered
  • hooper drives the boat chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 04, 2015, 05:13:37 PM »
square d is (i hate say it and offend the chebby gods) a far superior machine and seems alot more versitile ... ugh my spelling today. will you make this your primary? i think after the SAS conversion starts on combat max and your driving D alot you'll find it suits you better. maybe find another square d perhaps a extended or crew and repeat process?
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 04, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
Don, you thinking of a soft cover or something firmer for the trailer? I am up in the air with that thinking versatility vs loading.

I have found surplus covers for $600 and I have to pickup (300miles), but not settled on what yet. I think those 2 front areas in front of the wheel wells are perfect for water.

These are nice too, just to far for me;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Shelter-Truck-Mounted-S-250-G-Used/361220108147?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D4e1facc54eac4c2b904701660dad768d%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D29%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D121689039489
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:31:59 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 04, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »
Those have absolutely no room in them jr.   They are just an open shelter type inside.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:23:27 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 05, 2015, 01:03:43 AM »
I'm sure you have thought of this but how hard will it be to get into the back of the truck quickly in an emergency situation?
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 05, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »
square d is (i hate say it and offend the chebby gods) a far superior machine and seems alot more versitile ... ugh my spelling today. will you make this your primary? i think after the SAS conversion starts on combat max and your driving D alot you'll find it suits you better. maybe find another square d perhaps a extended or crew and repeat process?
Darren you are reading my mind I see
I see a good utility useage vehicle with C-Max, but little more.
If I am true to my own beliefs, C-Max will have to go
I have my eye on another crew cab old school truck to replace it with and get me completely out of the computer, OBD2 world.
I'll likely sell the Duramax truck at some point, then make that other truck the primary and Square D an occasional driver. Either would have the same engine characteristics with Square D being the "Alamo-Truck" for when things get Baghdad-Bad

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
Maybe a Chevy this time Don? TO bad they never mad a shortbed crew in the 72-91 style. But hey, making a shortbed after this is childs play. But a burb might work to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline akraven

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 05, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
Maybe a Chevy this time Don? TO bad they never mad a shortbed crew in the 72-91 style. But hey, making a shortbed after this is childs play. But a burb might work to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sounds good to me!   I would like to see you work your ideas on a burb.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 05, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
That would make it 3 burbs here,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 05, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »
Crew cab short box truck

And you knuckleheads should help me price out the Chebby.
Has 47,000 miles. Stolen 2 times and stripped, fire and collision damage and it was cursed by a voodoo witch doctor.
One of the preceding is true
How muchy?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:57:58 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 05, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
plus did chevy put out diesel that was mechanical? the old 6.5 detroit? i bet it would waay easier to get a square d crew
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 05, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
Crew cab short box truck

Has 47,000 miles. Stolen 2 times and stripped, fire and collision damage and it was cursed by a voodoo witch doctor.
How muchy?

Well with under 50k and the options, it will sell fast for the right price. Heck, you could auction it for a Charity and write it all off!!

For the new build, as you look, think in the lines of a utility box for the rear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I just like the idea.   

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 05, 2015, 05:36:25 PM »
plus did chevy put out diesel that was mechanical? the old 6.5 detroit? i bet it would waay easier to get a square d crew

GM never made a short box crew cab, it will need to be custom. Diesel yes, 6.5 yes but I don't the "Don" wants to go that way.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 05, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
what time frame you looking to sell..im interested.
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: July 05, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
Crew cab short box truck

How muchy?

If your talkin late 80 I have looked at a few. Junk yard type drag on a trailer versions 1000 - 2500 depending on how far the rust has spread. Original drivers mostly intact and almost straight 5000 - 10000. Redone/restored or 6bt swapped 8000 - 15000. I been looking a little cuz that's on my list. Gotta finish up some honey dos first though.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:19:38 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 05, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
I came across one in Tennessee. When I started asking the hard questions about this pristine, western truck, the deal fell apart fast. I asked "Is that a chunk of plastic I see knocked out on top of the wheel well? I thought you said it was rust free?"

I have something sort of lined up at the moment.

Darren, no time frame, anytime really. I use the Chevy so it's not hurting me. On the other hand the longer I own it, the longer the delay on starting the other truck which will probably take me a year to turn

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 05, 2015, 11:24:01 PM »
Darren,

You are correct about that 6.5 being a mechanical (mostly) injection engine, but I don't like them.
They were in HMMV's all over the military and have not proven to be the most reliable engine. Further, they don't produce very much power. I don't think they are direct injection diesels, but like the old Ford IDI diesels. Lacking like half the power we routinely enjoy. Nossir, the 6BT is my go to engine of choice.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 06, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
Well you guys continue to be as entertaining as ever.  Glad to know there are future truck builds already planned.  I would hate to run out of reading material and have to actually eat my lunch during lunchtime.  :)

Also for what it's worth, would there be any value to having the second vehicle be smaller and more mobile for recon and supply runs instead of building the second vehicle to be bigger?  I am wondering about something like a Jeep Wrangler with a 4BT.  I am thinking grocery getter for the SHTF scenario.  Something that runs on the same fuel, but gets better mileage and wouldn't end your overall survivability if it received damage or was stolen during use.  You could just go back to using square D.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 06, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
Well you guys continue to be as entertaining as ever.  Glad to know there are future truck builds already planned.  I would hate to run out of reading material and have to actually eat my lunch during lunchtime.  :)

Also for what it's worth, would there be any value to having the second vehicle be smaller and more mobile for recon and supply runs instead of building the second vehicle to be bigger?  I am wondering about something like a Jeep Wrangler with a 4BT.  I am thinking grocery getter for the SHTF scenario.  Something that runs on the same fuel, but gets better mileage and wouldn't end your overall survivability if it received damage or was stolen during use.  You could just go back to using square D.

That has surely crossed my mind. I want to build a 1 ton crew first then a jeep with the same axles, trans, and t case as the truck. Only thing different would be the 4 bt instead of 6. That way you would limit spare parts needs. That's how it works out in my head anyway. I pray we never NEED to have all this. Even if we don't it will be a couple nice vehicles to run around in.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 06, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
Anything you find from TX to Cal along the lower states should be very solid as far as rust free. Plus the 70s was not a good time for GM metal, late 80s was better.

Both my subs are 91 (same as the last year of the V30). One is pristine with no rust, other has a little here and there but was a gov vehicle that saw snow and coastal climates.

Yep, the 6.2/6.5 was never a powerhouse and is indirect injection and has pump and harmonic balance issues,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 06, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
so not a reliable power plant and a good body and frame that's hard to come across without spending alot. ( hmm sounds like my dating life in my early twenties lol).  so id say its dodge 12v crew or bust.
Don i was thinking I'd be looking to buy another rig in a few years once the girls learn how to drive my 07 crew. they're 2 1/2 and 11 months so ya know a few years ...
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
so not a reliable power plant and a good body and frame that's hard to come across without spending alot. ( hmm sounds like my dating life in my early twenties lol).  so id say its dodge 12v crew or bust.
Don i was thinking I'd be looking to buy another rig in a few years once the girls learn how to drive my 07 crew. they're 2 1/2 and 11 months so ya know a few years ...
Well, If I do anything with the Chevy it will be within months to maybe a year.
I really have to get Square D sorted out, driving, and reliable before I'd venture off into another 7000 page build project

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
Good news: Got the first pile of mulch all spread out, and the second 10 yards doesn't come until late tomorrow or Wednesday.

I think I have an interesting idea for mounting the spare. Picture an "A" shaped affair with the wheel flange at the top of that "A."
Wit me so far?
Well, who cares, but anyway, If I can extend the legs down far enough I can weld them to two more of those poly bushings, then tab out the bottom rail of the swing gate. That way the thing with the tire/wheel could roll backward say until it is horizontal with planet earth while still holding the tire.

Ah, very perceptive my dear Watson, what is holding the tire you ask? Why the cable attached to the winch of course! So, by unpinning the top of the "A" mount from it's upper anchor point, one would reverse the winch and lower the "A" until it was horizontal, the "A" would stop then Mr. Goodyear would continue his voyage to the earth. No real muscle needed. If I don't do that, I'm going to hire a grunt or a Marine to lift that thing up and take it down when I need it!

I'm going to create some smoke and sparks tomorrow to see if I can tool up this thing

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 06, 2015, 11:11:45 PM »
Sounds interesting . .... easier than carrying a forklift around, or a marine for that matter.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 07, 2015, 07:41:12 AM »
This should be interesting.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 07, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »
I think I saw a grunt on youtube trying to "manhandle" an H1 tire. The grunt was not a small man by any means and guess who won?

Yeah, if you can keep the tire off the rack it will be easier to handle all the way around. Unless you have it as close to the pivot as practical, then you get the rack to use as a lever.

Another idea is a small hydraulic jack worked into the mount.

Whatever it is, it will be over-engineered for sure!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 07, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
I have thought how handy a simple tow hitch crane would be a bunch of times. While not as permanent as what you are contemplating for your tire change it would be able to do double duty for loading/unloading stuff in the bed. It also could be done to easily fold up/come apart for storage.

This is the "kind" of thing I was thinking about but for you it would be easy to run the winch line to control/lift the tire.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV/Car-Truck-SUV/Auto-Towing-Hitches/Cargo-Carriers-Racks%7C/pc/104796180/c/630501480/sc/104780880/i/104253480/Viking-Solutions-Rack-Jacktrade-Utility-Lift/1850536.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcargo-carriers-racks%2F_%2FN-1118204%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104253480

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:07:42 PM by Wilbur »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 07, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
That's an intriguing idea Wilbur.
I think Don will have his all integrated into the gate but same principle essentially.

Not sure if you've ever said a weight on the big skins Don, but I'd assume they are quite a jag.
I'm thinking your plan to be along the lines of the GM factory spare theory, just adding in the hinge. Should be very doable, just maybe a lot of pain in the butt to get it all 'right'. I really like the idea, and when it works possible see a mod coming to the tire carrier on C-Max?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 07, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »
Well, I've been toying with the setup of the unfolding tire carrier. Unless I've missed something, this won't be rocket science, just some engineering hurtles.

Today I labored on the tire mount gate anchor or latch point. I heeded that done before launching off on the tire thing.

Oh, and Sammconn, one of those tire/wheels are weighing between 130 and 140 ea.

So to start I needed to trim back the swing away gate. I moved that last upright inboard a few inches, then trimmed off the excess tube

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Next up, I created a incline to catch the gate and assist it up into the travel-lock position

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »
And a "foot" for the upright

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 07, 2015, 08:35:16 PM »
Here's the point the upright was welded in and the stubs cut off

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »
This is the upper anchor point for the latch assembly
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:37:29 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »
I chose a section of C-channel with a 3/8" and a 1/4" spacer welded on to slide into that upper tube

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 07, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
The bolt goes all the way through and pinches the top anchor in place

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 07, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
That piece was cut to length leaving two straps which I wrapped around the upright

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 07, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »
Next up the upright foot was created from 10 gage. It bolts down to the top of the bumper with 4 3/8" bolts

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 07, 2015, 08:44:33 PM »
Then the square tube upright was welded in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »
Then a piece of angle was used to provide a positive stop for closing

I will build off this for the latch mechanisms

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 07, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
And that right there finished build day 277

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 07, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Lookin good!
The latch will surely be stout. But with 3-400 pounds riding along on the swing gate it better be!
I guess I'll start it again. I'm a little concerned with the joining of the bumper to box, but do understand the stiffening that has and is to come. Just thinking out loud I suppose, but it seems worrisome to me.

Dang those tires are hefty. I figgered North of 100 each but dang.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
Heavy for sure. Steel wheels in two parts, insert, heavy tires, and all those studs and nuts.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 08, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
I started the spare tire mount today

No pics, I'll post tomorrow after work then. With all that happened today, I wasn't working at normal speed and well, I'll just get everything up tomorrow

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 08, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
With the day that has been, I'm surprised you got to anything at all.
Undoubtedly bummed out with the events of the day.
I think we can all allow today with no update.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal