Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1340164 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #10000 on: May 28, 2019, 11:02:19 PM »
Man that’s sure a nice view!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that is very nice  :likebutton:

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #10001 on: May 28, 2019, 11:44:28 PM »
I got my trailer back today after getting a fitted tarp made for it, as well as a heavy duty water proof cover for the smoker.

both of the covers are made out of 20mil tarp.

now I just have to get 9 tubes of sealer for the roof of trailer and get 4 days of sun and no rain to get it stripped off and resealed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:45:14 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10002 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:48 PM »
Care to explain why you invested in a cover? Does yours leak?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »
Got dock moved last night. Still ice bergs here and there.

I’ve got a good sized rock to move one way or another. Right under my first float. Explains why the bottom came out last fall. Dock is 18” west of where it should be until I get the rock moved. Hammer drill anchor and 4:1 come to mind. Coupled to a 3500# winch something will move.

Regardless summer has officially begun for us.

Sam, do you catch much in the lake? I like the idea of not having to deal with anyone!!!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10004 on: May 29, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »
I got my trailer back today after getting a fitted tarp made for it, as well as a heavy duty water proof cover for the smoker.

now I just have to get 9 tubes of sealer for the roof of trailer and get 4 days of sun and no rain to get it stripped off and resealed.

Like SLC Dave said, kind o curious why you got a cover. They look good quality though. The grill cover is great looks like. Person standing with a poncho on.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10005 on: May 29, 2019, 04:43:03 AM »
Woke up and made a hot toddy.  Not bad.  To complicated when your pissed your not sleeping and you can’t swallow a pill

Took out the crown, filled a mug half way full of water and crown, microwave for 45 sec
1/4 of a fresh lemon from the fridge and a large tablespoon of honey.   

No back to bed

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10006 on: May 29, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »

Like SLC Dave said, kind o curious why you got a cover. They look good quality though. The grill cover is great looks like. Person standing with a poncho on.

so to clarify, yes the roof is leaking.  do I know where at?....yes.   do I know how to fix the problem?.....yes.

the trailer is 5 years old and was bought straight from the wells cargo factory down in Waco texas.  the problem is that when the factory put the sealant on over the seam of the roof and sidewall, they only put a thin layer and in a couple of spots it got really thin.  well time, direct sun light, snow, etc has worn that sealant out and now has a few cracks in it.

is it an easy fix?....yes.  it is nothing like what JR and KEN had to go thru with their trailer roofs.  the problem is that right now things are really wet here in Nebraska and not a lot of sun.  so as soon as I can get 4 straight days of no rain, I can get on top of the trailer and strip all of the old sealant off and get some new stuff re-applied.  also, if I had access to massive shops like what farmerjon has then i could get in there regardless of what the weather outside is like and get'er taken care of.

so that is where the investment of the heavy duty fitted tarp comes in.  i have grommet holes every 18", the bottom seam where the grommets are is triple reinforced, all of the corners are triple reinforced and have corner protectors, the rear is designed so that if i need to get into the trailer i don't have to remove the whole tarp and it hangs about 24" down the sides.  right now it is what is keeping the water out of the inside and when i get the roof re-sealed it will act as the additional layer of protection while sitting.

repair costs look something like this:

professional job (probably would not be done correctly) runs about $1000

nate doing the work is $225 for the 9 tubes of sealant and $325 for the custom fitted heavy duty tarp = $550 (and it would be done correctly)

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: May 29, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

so to clarify, yes the roof is leaking.  do I know where at?....yes.   do I know how to fix the problem?.....yes.

the trailer is 5 years old and was bought straight from the wells cargo factory down in Waco texas.  the problem is that when the factory put the sealant on over the seam of the roof and sidewall, they only put a thin layer and in a couple of spots it got really thin.  well time, direct sun light, snow, etc has worn that sealant out and now has a few cracks in it.

is it an easy fix?....yes.  it is nothing like what JR and KEN had to go thru with their trailer roofs.  the problem is that right now things are really wet here in Nebraska and not a lot of sun.  so as soon as I can get 4 straight days of no rain, I can get on top of the trailer and strip all of the old sealant off and get some new stuff re-applied.  also, if I had access to massive shops like what farmerjon has then i could get in there regardless of what the weather outside is like and get'er taken care of.

so that is where the investment of the heavy duty fitted tarp comes in.  i have grommet holes every 18", the bottom seam where the grommets are is triple reinforced, all of the corners are triple reinforced and have corner protectors, the rear is designed so that if i need to get into the trailer i don't have to remove the whole tarp and it hangs about 24" down the sides.  right now it is what is keeping the water out of the inside and when i get the roof re-sealed it will act as the additional layer of protection while sitting.

nate doing the work is $225 for the 9 tubes of sealant and $325 for the custom fitted heavy duty tarp = $550 (and it would be done correctly)

Assuming that is a breathable tarp material if not mold may become an issue?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: May 29, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »
what do you mean?

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: May 29, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
I’m thinking of bidding on a new family vehicle for road trips. It’s basically a 24 passenger bus, 2007 Chevy C4500 with the duramax engine. As this is my first foray into duramax land, what do I need to be aware of with the 2007 duramax, I think it’s the LLY(eighth digit of vin is 2).   Only 31000 on the odometer.

Any thoughts? 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10010 on: May 29, 2019, 09:36:22 AM »
You are correct dave, the lly was what was put into the topkick type platforms.

If i remember correctly, i think the lly had a head gasket issue?

Give me a minute or 2 and let me see if i can find an info page for you about the duramax's

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10011 on: May 29, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
Oh and do you have pics of this beast?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10012 on: May 29, 2019, 10:00:43 AM »
I’m thinking of bidding on a new family vehicle for road trips. It’s basically a 24 passenger bus, 2007 Chevy C4500 with the duramax engine. As this is my first foray into duramax land, what do I need to be aware of with the 2007 duramax, I think it’s the LLY(eighth digit of vin is 2).   Only 31000 on the odometer.

Any thoughts? 

here is a thread that gives you very detailed information about the Duramax engines and their differences.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/318834-general-duramax-information.html

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »
It’s on one of the gov auction sites, starting bid is 5500, but I know it’s going to shoot up when bidding opens. But I’m trying to be positive and hope I’m able to at least get in the ballpark.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10014 on: May 29, 2019, 10:23:43 AM »
You may have to get a class B license for that....based upon if it has air brakes and the number of family members riding at one time

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: May 29, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »
But for $5.5k thats not bad

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10016 on: May 29, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
That thing would be a great donor for a square body duramax build!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
Just did some quick reading on the KY dmv site, at most it would be a class C CDL, gross combined weight is 26000. But then there is a section that says you only need a medical examination certificate, but not cdl if it is more than 15 passengers it not for compensation(paraphrase).   But that was a quick read through and I might be wrong.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
I like those Top-Kicks. Now did LLY have the 9th injector or was that the LMM?

Also, so I've thought about turbocharging the burb when I get back from the trip. install one of the 800hp kits on it and be done with my hot rod overlander

But it might be better to go the distance and do a duramax build.

But being a 2002, I'd be looking at a LB-7

So that would require me to do a rebuild, swap to the lml heads, studs, mo betterer turbo and of course fixed or bigger injectors. After that, I think the transmission is the big issue. No way one of those early allisons would stand up to that kind of power, so many mods required there

I think peeps make a conversion harness to make it more of a plug and play, but the end result of a diesel powered truck would be more in sync with the theme of the truck.

Just thinking out loud...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: May 29, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
You may have to get a class B license for that....based upon if it has air brakes and the number of family members riding at one time

Just did some quick reading on the KY dmv site, at most it would be a class C CDL, gross combined weight is 26000. But then there is a section that says you only need a medical examination certificate, but not cdl if it is more than 15 passengers it not for compensation(paraphrase).   But that was a quick read through and I might be wrong.

here we go.....this is a touchy subject for many folks that "THINK" they know what the actual law says, but in reality it actually differs between county, state and federal regulations...…..and they have never legally taught students and had to knowledgably speak on it all the time......as well as are not actually being a federal or state certified motor carrier enforcement officer (except maybe JR)

so lets not all get into a I know better than you situation please!

what I was trying to get at dave is this, and this is just for FYI purposes so that you can have some sort of knowledge before you go and talk to a qualified motor carrier enforcement officer.

federal regulation states

- anything capable of carrying 16 passenger and over needs to have a class C license
- anything vehicle that has air brakes is required to have a class B license
- anything 26,001lbs and above is required to have a class A license
- anybody applying for a Class A,B,C drivers license must pass a medical exam....(this also applies to train conductors, ship captains, pilots, etc)

now that is all for commercial applications!

but for you and using it for personal use, maybe only 1 and 2 would apply....based on the number of passengers that that vehicle is capable of carrying and not actually carrying as well as the fact that it has (if it does have) air brakes.  also you may have to specifically label it something like "personal use only"?!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:11:22 AM by Nate »

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10020 on: May 29, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
I wasn’t trying to claim any knowledge on the subject and I fully appreciate you bringing that topic to mind as I’m sure it would have popped up as soon as I move any further along this path. I definitely need to make some inquiries since it will obviously impact insurance at the very least.

Thanks for the heads up Nate, and you’re right, you do know more than me. ;)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: May 29, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
I sent you a PM dave

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
The 2006-7 Duramax engines were some of the best. Just an EGR and cat in most cases which disappear easily. Those years the LLY was just a detuned LBZ, same internally and no injector issues.

2 big catches with the CDL, driving for compensation and air brakes. Seats only count here if you fill them. If it is just family, I do not see any issues but ask a local.

Don, just do an LBZ swap. They are all over from crashed trucks and fit right in.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: May 29, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
Checked the listing again and it stated hydraulic brakes. As for number of people, if I take my wife and all the kids, we’re only 12, but if they start bringing friends.....
And it depends on what you mean by compensation, my wife appreciates it when I drive. :)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:37:46 PM by dave945 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: May 29, 2019, 01:14:30 PM »
Not THAT kind of compensation,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: May 29, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
what do you mean?

My thought process is that condensation between tarp and roof top might not be a good thing long term.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: May 29, 2019, 01:45:10 PM »

here we go.....this is a touchy subject for many folks that "THINK" they know what the actual law says, but in reality it actually differs between county, state and federal regulations...…..and they have never legally taught students and had to knowledgably speak on it all the time......as well as are not actually being a federal or state certified motor carrier enforcement officer (except maybe JR)

so lets not all get into a I know better than you situation please!

what I was trying to get at dave is this, and this is just for FYI purposes so that you can have some sort of knowledge before you go and talk to a qualified motor carrier enforcement officer.

federal regulation states

- anything capable of carrying 16 passenger and over needs to have a class C license
- anything vehicle that has air brakes is required to have a class B license
- anything 26,001lbs and above is required to have a class A license
- anybody applying for a Class A,B,C drivers license must pass a medical exam....(this also applies to train conductors, ship captains, pilots, etc)

now that is all for commercial applications!

but for you and using it for personal use, maybe only 1 and 2 would apply....based on the number of passengers that that vehicle is capable of carrying and not actually carrying as well as the fact that it has (if it does have) air brakes.  also you may have to specifically label it something like "personal use only"?!

Title and plate as an RV.....  :tongue:

For the record in Indiana that meant it had to have a bed and toilet in it when the police inspection was being done. I may or may not have had a large truck minus flat bed sitting next to a slide in truck camper once and passed the inspection..... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:49:04 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: May 29, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
9th injector didn't start til our trucks Don, 2011 LML.

You'd be wanting an LBZ for that swap, if a person could find one. That's getting to be a very popular year of truck (06-07) and they fetch a pretty penny.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: May 29, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
Several on ebay for 3500-4000 right now, without tranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: May 29, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
what do you mean?

My thought process is that condensation between tarp and roof top might not be a good thing long term.

I gotcha.  The air flow coming up from the sides should be adequate to take care 9f the little bit of condensation that could possibly occur.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: May 29, 2019, 07:06:01 PM »
So I picked up this Dana 80 a couple months ago minus shafts and screwed up R&P. Pulled the hubs & brakes yesterday which I will sell along with these spindles as a repair item (cheaper to replace a bent spindle than whole axle). So here I am cutting the spindles off and plan is to make this a front steer axle for a future project. Really need to get jib crane built to handle these axles easier.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: May 29, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
IIRC the 02 gm has a different communication protocol than 03 and up which means you have to retain the 02 ecm and fcm unless you want to replace all the wiring/ dash etc

There are now tried and true builds that have used LLY heads on an LB7 (or you can buy and LLY with LB7 2002 ecm and ficm) and vendors have pre fabricated pigtails to splice into the harness to run the LLY injectors using the 02 FICM

So find a salvage LLY ( correct the head gasket and cooling issue ) and then get the duramax ecm/ficm to run it.

That’s my plan for the LB7 I have.  Just need to finish sourcing parts and get on the plan.
Light reading

https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16887&highlight=LLY+heads+lb7

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:24:50 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: May 29, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »
Oh. And today I wasted 10 minutes watching this circus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rt.com/sport/460482-slap-champ-dumpling-bazooka-arms/amp/

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: May 29, 2019, 11:09:30 PM »
Solar doing great. I think I’m at 12-15 gallons since March of 2017 in the generator.
I am debating more capacity for winter though.

The lake is full of walley, northern pike, and lesser amounts of whitefish.
The odd lake sturgeon and some carp/drum etc.

Fishing good at best not great, but when it’s a one minute ride to the spot who cares.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: May 30, 2019, 12:26:37 AM »
Thought walleye and pike were the same.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10035 on: May 30, 2019, 06:41:15 AM »

Do and RV conversion. Depending on what they require there it might only cost you a few hundred bucks. Then you get around all that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: May 30, 2019, 06:49:20 AM »

If you need to use the shop for a day or two rent is cheap. Bring a bottle of Windsor for the boss.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: May 30, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »

If you need to use the shop for a day or two rent is cheap. Bring a bottle of Windsor for the boss.

I just might have to take you up on that offer

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: May 30, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
^^^ That's a deal!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: May 30, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »

You would be in error JR and nothing beats Great lakes Walleye

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: May 30, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
So I picked up this Dana 80 a couple months ago minus shafts and screwed up R&P. Pulled the hubs & brakes yesterday which I will sell along with these spindles as a repair item (cheaper to replace a bent spindle than whole axle). So here I am cutting the spindles off and plan is to make this a front steer axle for a future project. Really need to get jib crane built to handle these axles easier.

Was this in an accident?  otherwise how do you bend a D80 axle.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: May 30, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »
Never realized how thick those tubes where.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: May 30, 2019, 06:04:23 PM »
Never realized how thick those tubes where.

4” diameter 1/2” wall, you ever see the welds from them installing the spindles on? Inertia friction welding, YouTube that......

I’ll grab a pic of inside the bore and post up

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: May 30, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »
Crazy.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: May 30, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »

Different.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: May 30, 2019, 10:10:25 PM »
Walleye delicious.
Pike all bones. Pike great fighters.
Spring pike I’ll eat but after water temp hits 60* or so they get all slimy and ‘soft’.
Walleye good all the time and have about only rib bones to remove.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: May 31, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
So I see they are all cousins. Water temps sure play with how fish taste. Trout for me all day to eat. Easy to clean and cook!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: May 31, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »
Bob, sorry to hear about the bumper.  I guess the silver lining is its a remove and replace piece, no bodywork to speak of.

Well, I had the parking lot damage fixed on the GMC. Then traded it in today for a 2019 GMC Sierra 3500. Never have had good luck with a red vehicle so just got rid of it..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: May 31, 2019, 11:05:17 PM »
Man. The specs are impressive Bob but I’m struggling to like the looks of the 2019. Any pics?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: June 01, 2019, 01:03:07 AM »
I can’t get behind them ether.  To many issues with tuning from the factory.  Motor designed for a ten speed but attached to a 6.   Dealer buddy says the 19 are a no go

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal