Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ramcharger Build  (Read 67162 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build
« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
that thing wouldn't happen to be green and come from KY now would it?
Ha-Ha
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 09, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »
OK FLEET update, I needed a vehicle that can haul six people and gear to some hard to get places.  There is not a lot of choices out there that are short wheel base that's why the Ramcharger was so ideal.  I wanted to stay with MOPAR so a 2003 2500 Ram showed up that was the right price and didn’t need a whole lot of work and had options what I wanted.  Hopefully this one dose not get rolled, plan is to use this for the next few months until I retire and then I can rebuild the Ramcharger.  Then sell the 2003 off or cut down the frame and mount the ramcharger body to it. I also have a very nice offer for Wynorunner that I might take him up on.

So the 2003 is a high mileage unit 300K but guy was second owner and he took care of it, I have found nothing major other than the front Diff retainer lock wire falling out and getting chewed up by the gears.

I have done the basic maintenance, Plugs, hoses, belt and tensioner, thermostat, Fluids, hood struts, door latch.  I took the rims and tires from the rolled 90 Ramcharger and threw them on there as they are not doing much good on the ramcharger right now.

This truck has a bed cover which I wanted so I put on new lift struts and latches so that is 100% now.  Now I will put some miles driving it around to see if anything else shows up, so far it runs really well.

So as most of you can imagine straight/clean/rust-free) ramchargers are getting hard to find, it will only get harder as time goes by.  So I found a straight/rust-free 1992 Ramcharger that belonged to the City of Carson NV, it was an LE package which is odd for a city to buy unless it was for a big wig, it had spotlights and the dash has a few holes from all the raidos and the interior is pretty dirty, but I bought it for the body and I have the interior from the 90 that got rolled.  This was a running and driving unit, 360TBI with the 518 overdrive.  What a pig this thing is now I understand why people want to always want to work on the engine, I think the transmission might have issues but the frame and driveline I don’t really care about.  One interesting thing is the City had someone weld trusses under the axles, don’t quite understand why they did that real just made some real nice rock catchers.

Which brings us to the 85 ramcharger, while I was going to look at the 92 I saw the 85 parked behind a barn.  So I though it wouldn't hurt stop to ask and see what the deal is.  The owner was a 20ish something and he told me the truck would not smog but it ran and moved, once I brought him back down to reality the price was very good so the next day I went and picked it up.  I know most of you are asking why by two ramchargers?  Its was so straight and rust free and complete I couldn’t let it get scrapped/parted out.  And worst case I have a spare body now.  I could always convert it to CTD!   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 09, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
Wow.  Phil that seems like some good scores!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 09, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
I don't know if its a good thing or not!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
I wish I had pics of my Ramcharger, was so cool

But a 360 gasser, but with head work, cam, headers, 3.91's and a strange old Rancho triple shock setup on the front... Blue it was, I think about the same color as your 85 score.

Between it and the K5 Blazer I had, not sure which I'd call my favorite...??

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »
I haven't seen a ramcharger that straight in a while. The few in town look like they've been rockcrawling their entire lives.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »
I haven't seen a ramcharger that straight in a while. The few in town look like they've been rockcrawling their entire lives.

Yep, that's all the pretty much all that's left out there, or is its straight/clean and running/driving and  they want like 10K+.  These trucks are real pigs in stock form the RC I mean, the 03 with the Hemi runs OK.  The 92 was on Craig's list for a long time then it disappeared, I kept the guys number and he still had it.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
couple pictures on the trailer the day I brought them home, I need a better trailer I know!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:53:07 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
fixed the pics for you
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
Glad you found some good bones for a rebuild.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 05, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »
I been going thru the 2003 to that I would have some confidence that it will be reliable enough to drive. So far I have accomplished the following and other than the Tach everything else works as required. 

I had to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets only one side was leaking but both sides had missing studs. I thought it was going to be a bigger job than it turned out being all I was only able to get 3ea bolts loose on each side, I used the torch to cut the heads off and the ones where the bolts were missing I thought the bolt would be broken off in the head.  I was happy to be lucky than good this time it was amazing all the bolt heads I cut off the bolt almost screwed off with my fingers and the ones that I though were broke were completely missing form the head. I just ran a tap in every hole and all were good.

I knew one motor mount was bad when I bought the truck, what I did not know was when the mount fails it will let the Exhaust manifold contact the frame of the truck, in my case it actually cracked the manifold, I had already bought a new manifold because I figured it would be warped anyway as you can see from the picture the mount had failed some time ago.       

1.  Full fluids change
2.  Belt, hoses, plugs, filters, tstat
3.  Front Diff locking tab
4.  Both motor mounts
5.  Passenger side exhaust manifold
6.  Rear pads and Adjust parking brake
7.  Door lock actuator and rewire the door harness(crappy Dodge wire)

So I have put about 2K miles on the ram and looks like no major issues so far, this truck dose not drip on drop of oil and that is pretty impressive for a truck with 300K, now that I have a fresh oil change I will see how bad the oil consumption will be

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 05, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
I been going thru the 2003 to that I would have some confidence that it will be reliable enough to drive. So far I have accomplished the following and other than the Tach everything else works as required. 

I had to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets only one side was leaking but both sides had missing studs. I thought it was going to be a bigger job than it turned out being all I was only able to get 3ea bolts loose on each side, I used the torch to cut the heads off and the ones where the bolts were missing I thought the bolt would be broken off in the head.  I was happy to be lucky than good this time it was amazing all the bolt heads I cut off the bolt almost screwed off with my fingers and the ones that I though were broke were completely missing form the head. I just ran a tap in every hole and all were good.

I knew one motor mount was bad when I bought the truck, what I did not know was when the mount fails it will let the Exhaust manifold contact the frame of the truck, in my case it actually cracked the manifold, I had already bought a new manifold because I figured it would be warped anyway as you can see from the picture the mount had failed some time ago.       

1.  Full fluids change
2.  Belt, hoses, plugs, filters, tstat
3.  Front Diff locking tab
4.  Both motor mounts
5.  Passenger side exhaust manifold
6.  Rear pads and Adjust parking brake
7.  Door lock actuator and rewire the door harness(crappy Dodge wire)

So I have put about 2K miles on the ram and looks like no major issues so far, this truck dose not drip on drop of oil and that is pretty impressive for a truck with 300K, now that I have a fresh oil change I will see how bad the oil consumption will be

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
Looks like that manifold was probably glowing a couple times in it's life. She might be running a little lean.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »
Yea the O2 sensors needed changed, right now it says everything is good ill give it some time to relearn and check it again. 

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
Picked this up today, need to clean it up and inspect and inventory all the hardware.

Only reason I got this kit was the bearings are a little loose on the 2003 Ram I picked up, so a friend of mine removed this from his 2005 and I got a really good deal on it.  Only reason he removed it was he is getting up in years and he didn't like getting out of the truck to lock the hubs.

The AAM unit bearing design has never given me an issue but for the price I thought I will give this a try to see if there is any real advantage. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »
I don’t like locking hubs and I’m not quite up in years.  Nice score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
I don’t like locking hubs and I’m not quite up in years.  Nice score

This is called lazy or primaddona!  Take your pick!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:19:05 PM by wilsonphil »

OldKooT

« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »
Who unlocks hubs? Only reason I use locking hubs is if I bust a front axle  :grin:

But yah nice score....

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »
This is what I told my friend, just keep them locked all winter and then unlock in the summer.  His mind was made up so I let it go and it worked out real well for me!!

It will be cool to have the option of 2WD low range now.

OldKooT

« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
Our recent round trip 2500 mile Colorado vacation/wheeling/delivery trip I just realized I got 14mpg with the front hubs locked the entire trip LoL I seriously never unlock them day/day, I spend too much time off pavement.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
Surprised you’re not running spools front and back, Norm

OldKooT

« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2018, 01:03:12 AM »
TRN.... I honestly don't mind a rear spool. Prefer them in some applications.  :cheesy:

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2018, 03:02:34 AM »
Spools? i.e. wheel with no tire?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »
Spools? i.e. wheel with no tire?

In Norm's case, sorta...

Norm is old school

Perferes to whittle his wheels out of flat stones

But he does cut in some nice raised letters ;-))

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Ryan, not sure if the question was serious, so forgive me if I’m too dense to pick up on subtlety. 

A solid one piece third member that mechanically fixes the axles.  100% direct drive on both shafts. Zero slippage. Maximum torque and maximum tire wear....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 14, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »
Ryan, not sure if the question was serious, so forgive me if I’m too dense to pick up on subtlety. 

A solid one piece third member that mechanically fixes the axles.  100% direct drive on both shafts. Zero slippage. Maximum torque and maximum tire wear....

Not that those grizzly lockers are easy on tires, I can hear the jk begging for mercy every time I drive it now.....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
welcome to the family :grin:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
Tate, I sent you an email let me know what you can do please.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 14, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »

Question was serious lol. Didn’t know what was meant by ‘spool’... I was thinking a bare rim since it kind of resembles a spool (thread, wire, etc...)

Looked it up and now I see that it is just a simple traction locker/diff replacement.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 14, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »
yep they are good for tearing up tires and breaking axles!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 14, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
Spools have their place

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 14, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
Tate, I sent you an email let me know what you can do please.

I got you.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »
Ok not much to report on the 2003 ram, truck is running well and the only thing that does not work correctly is the Tach.

I will say this that I will never buy a Gas powered truck again new or used, this this is a total gas hog! 10-11 MPG is the average right now, now given I go faster than the average person but its still a total gas hog.  That and the fact its a Hemi head you have to rev it to make power and its has 3.73 gears. 

I am starting the rebuild of the Cummins this weekend that will eventually go in my Ramcharger.  Really miss the versatility of the Ramcharger.     
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:15:44 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 15, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »
Started the assembly!  More to come
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:52:49 PM by Nate »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 15, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
Tease!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »
That is way to clean, slap some parts and oil in there.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 15, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
I did pictures are coming, so far I got the crank, cam, oil pump.  This Weekend I will hopefully get the rods and pistons, head, rockers on/in .

There seems to be some interesting differences when following the Dodge Service manual VS the Cummings manual, I will explain soon. 

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 16, 2018, 11:16:41 AM »
OK just a refresher this Cummins was the cam snap motor, when I say cam snap one of the gearcase bolts fell into the gears and the cam is the weak link so that broke.  One thing that also happened was the crank gear sheared the alignment pin as the gear spun on the crank nose.  It was a shame as this engine was in very good shape. 

So I bought a new crank gear just out of caution, I also had the crank mag checked.

So this is where it gets interesting, I have the FSM for the Dodge but I also have the Manual for Cummins, the Dodge FSM tell you to heat the gear to 250F for 45min and the Cummins manual says to go to 350F for 45min  both manuals say not to exceed two hours of heat time and to have the gear fully installed in 30sec once removed from the oven.

I have a nice little oven I use for Ceokote and other things it works really well, So I baked the gear to 350F per Cummins, you still have to use a driver(hammer) to install the gear even with it being heated.     

More story/pictures to come!   

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 16, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
Nice oven for many things.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 18, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
Ok the next step is crank install, Cummins uses oil jets to keep the pistons cool and I installed new ones.  Next the bearings go in #6 is the thrust bearing. Install the top half in the bearing in the caps and torque everything down.

Couple notes, Dodge tells you to final torque the bolts to 129ftlbs, BUT Cummins tells you to go to 66ftlbs +90degree I didn't verify but I would assume its pretty close to the same value.

I need to get back into the gym more, this crank weights 130lbs there was a time that I could pick this up and gently set it down in the block, I had to use the engine hoist, Im pretty disappointed with myself! 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 18, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 18, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »
Where do those squirters go Phil? I did crank and bearings in one a few years ago but don't remember seeing them.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 18, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »
Very nice, as Ken requested more details. I’m not familiar with those motors so trying to learn thru you a bit here.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 18, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »
Where do those squirters go Phil? I did crank and bearings in one a few years ago but don't remember seeing them.

Ken that explains why that engine failed!  if they are plugged they will shorten the life of that cylinder!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 18, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
Wondered where they went. So constant oil from the mains.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2018, 06:13:01 AM »
Phil can you explain more on those inserts, their purpose, and where that oil goes?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
Definitely important Phil but in the one I did, the trans input shaft broke, forced the TC forward and took out the thrust bearing.
Now that you gave me a visual, I remember. Thanks
It shoots oil at an angle, to the side, and sprays oil on the cylinder/piston for cooling Tex. Most engines rely on oil splashing/squirting from connecting rods.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
I was messing with you Ken, if you ever do a bottom end of a Cummins then you should replace these jets.

TRN the orifice of the jet is about .030, engine oil pressure squirts cool (180 degree ish) oil on the bottom of the piston to remove the heat of boost/combustion and as Ken said it also lubricates the cylinder wall, piston, pin of each cylinder, its one reason why these engines last so long.

IMO all engines should have this type of setup even most of the Jap engines out there has these feature,  its VERY rare on a USA designed engine.   

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 19, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
Duramaxs have, but are long bolt in things.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
Jr what company did GM co-develop the Duramax with?????????????????

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal