Hello Guest

Author Topic: Compact/utility tractor thoughts  (Read 2477 times)

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Compact/utility tractor thoughts
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm on the verge of needing a tractor. What with the imminent move to our new 63 acre plot o God's country here in Kentucky, I'm looking to purchase a decent size tractor to maintain/beautify the place. I'm thinking 4x4, front loader, 30-40 hp or so, going to need a bush hog and possibly a finish mower, as well as a box blade to maintain the gravel drive. From what I've seen and read, I've looked at the L series compact utilities from kubota, as well as several different John Deere models. What are your thoughts, experiences, dreams and inspirations in this matter that can guide me(or not) in this decision.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Compact/utility tractor thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
I think there is a guy on here that likes to destroy tractors, so if he tries to sell you one of his used ones...........run!        HAHAHAHAHA
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
They are very proud of the green and orange paint.  I have a 40hp Mahindra that I use on our land, we have 8 acres, and around the livestock that has served me well.  It is the second as I didn't get enough tractor the first time.  I would buy another if I ever needed one.  It is a 4045 model 4wd with front loader.  It is utility size not compact.  I have a box blade, brush hog, hay spear, harrows and the front bucket is quick detach for which I have a hay spear as well.  Sometimes I wish I had a set of pallet forks but they wouldn't get much use.  Just handy to have when you do need them.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Yeah, I realize that is some fancy orange and green paint, I think JD crushes emeralds up for that proprietary color of theirs. I mainly only mentioned those two as they are the most prevalent, especially on the used market. A friend I get milk from has a mahindra on his dairy farm and likes it a lot too.  I'm open to just about any of the major makes out there, even was looking at Branson a little bit the other day.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
Looking new or used?  I am hoping to pick something up in the 30 hp range before the snow starts flying here.  I have mostly been looking at older low hour units to keep in the budget I want and still get the HP.  Older also avoids some of the pesky emissions stuff.  I have been primarily looking at Deere units simply because there are more used units out there to look at in the size/ price I want.  While you will certainty pay more for a Deere and to an extent a Kubota you get a more extensive support channel with the purchase.  There will be more free info online in the form or forums etc.  Dealerships are also more abundant and service parts generally more available.  I have read many a story how some essential part failed on a cheaper tractor and it took months to get it from overseas.
The nice thing about a Deere or a Kubota unit is there is also a used market for them.  If you decide in a few years you want a bigger tractor or something else you should be able to easily sell a Deere or Kubota and not take a huge hit on it, especially if you purchase used now.  I do not know if that would be the case for other brands.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
The other nice thing about the green tractors is that Don has already tested and located a lot of the weak points.  He is also exploring the third party replacement part market for us. Saves me time later on.  :grin:

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
The other nice thing about the green tractors is that Don has already tested and located a lot of the weak points.  He is also exploring the third party replacement part market for us. Saves me time later on.  :grin:
Why yes I have!

Dave, being an Air Force guy you won't be doing any real work...

BAM!

OK, OK, I like you A/F guys too, but being a real warrior, I'll always take the shot, safe or not ;-)

Oh, man, sorry about that! Just did it again...Easy target and all that!

I agree on the matter of buying J-Deere or Kubota as having a premium price for no other reason than it feels good and "right" to be riding around on green

You need to go talk to the Kioti (Pronounced Coyote) in Independence. 30 HP is too small, 40 is maybe a wee bit small for 63 acres as well, depending on how much is wooded, how much is field. Personally I'd look for a robust 4WD in the 50-55 HP range with a hydrostatic transmission in the compact tractor chassis.

Around here tipping over is a real concern. A big tractor will slip and slide on the loose stuff transitioning you quickly from a slope which has you feeling iffy, to dangling on the edge in a new york minute. You will need some weight, but not too much, so a 4,000lb unit will work well. Add beet juice to the tires and put the wheels on in the wide position.

A 50 HP tractor will pull a 60" bucket, and I'd opt for aux hydraulics and add on a 4-1 bucket. Pay attention to this purchase as it's not so much the tractor, but the implements that do the work. And if you buy J-Deere like someone I know, then the pattern up front on the loader only fits J-Deere implements and attachments. If you get something with a more universal pattern like one, for example that has a skid steer system, then you are now the O+ of tractors. Everything adapts or fits.

I'd say 50-55HP, Hydrostat, Kioti is a good one which is really inexpensive and big time value packed. It may even be better than the deere. Mahindria is another good tractor. Made in India, the ingin stuff is just short in quality to the Korean stuff, which is the Coyote. When it comes to heavy equipment the Koreans and Japs make about the best stuff out there. So does the US of A, but OSHA, the EDA, DOT, DOL and about a thousand other non-essential employment agencies for fat dumb people have tacked on so much cost for things no one needs that US built is simply no longer affordable.

Get with me, I'll take you down farmside and let you play with a 66HP compact, and a 35HP compact. You can get a feel for how they run. Matter of fact the front 15 acres needs to be cut, I'll be happy to let you do that for me!

(He's air force, watch him take the bait...)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:39:49 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
Dave, one more thing

If you do decide to go green, which is not a bad idea, they make good stuff...

If you do, let me intro you over at the Deere store. Believe me, they know me well. I always go in there yelling and complaining. The service lady runs for cover when she sees me.

I'll drop a few insults, walk around the shop and harass the mechs who I really like, buy something, complain about gays and liberals, then leave with a smile on my face!

Life is good!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Yeah, don't forget the three letter agencies.  The Mahindra I have has what they call a CRD.  Clean running diesel.  No DEF or other extra stuff.  Wish they would do that for the new Duramax.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Yeah, don't forget the three letter agencies.  The Mahindra I have has what they call a CRD.  Clean running diesel.  No DEF or other extra stuff.  Wish they would do that for the new Duramax.
Matt,

Yours a common rail or old school?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
I hate common rail...

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »

Get with me, I'll take you down farmside and let you play with a 66HP compact, and a 35HP compact. You can get a feel for how they run. Matter of fact the front 15 acres needs to be cut, I'll be happy to let you do that for me!

(He's air force, watch him take the bait...)
I thought that was your wild flower patch. I wouldn't want to deprive you of the loveliness of your hide site.  now I might come down to destroy we, I mean assist in some grading of the landscape.  :smiley:

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »
Dave, mine ain't all pretty green like Don's, but 250 hrs of abuse, I have yet to break anything, and it gets ran hard (except tearing up a tire last month). It's just like this one...old school standard 16 speed, etc.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10407391/2012-new-holland-boomer-50
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 07:19:06 AM »
I've never run one but I was pretty impressed with the mahindra tractors I seen at the farm show in Louisville a while back. There was a group of people in Kabota shirts taking a ton to pictures of them. And for what it's worth I was talking to the owner of our local John Deere dealer. He had just gone to a national dealer meeting. Mahindra is now John Deeres biggest competition in the small tractor market.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 07:36:09 AM »
Matt,

Yours a common rail or old school?

Let me get to the house and check.  I think common.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal