Hello Guest

Author Topic: Buying a new truck  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Buying a new truck
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
First of all, I am not

I did go drive a new High country 2020 3500 single axle, and yes it is a really nice truck

But how nice?

Has more camera angles than I have awards and decorations from 25 years in the Armee. It has seats nicer than any millions of dollars jet I have ever flown. It is very powerful and has at least as many gadgets as the IRS has ways of arrestin' ya for doing your taxes.

So I was driving this thing, and frankly, I need a 3500 really. My 2500 will not legally pull my dump trailer at capacity. Therefore I cannot carry my compact track loader anywhere should I want to dig a hole for someone. My plans for pulling in the future all include pulling heavy loads every once in awhile

But what about that price tag? Heavily discounted into the $70's and starting in the mid $80's, it seems nearly insane to spend that much for a truck. And I have a pretty healthy income, but my first house was only $46,000 and I paid in cash, less than that for my 90+ acre farm! I don't know, but it is flippin crazy what these trucks now command. And even with a good down payment you need to finance for seven years (7 FLIPPIN YEARS) to get a comfortable payment. Keep in mind I have made payments as high as $1,500 monthly at times to buy something big for a short finance term.

For just a couple thousand one can replace rusty panels and repaint. For a couple of thousand, one can replace faulty injectors. The big parts of the engine and trans last for hundreds of thousands of miles...

So...

Buying a new truck has become something which all but the wealthy or crazy will ever consider.

Or am I crazee?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new truck
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
Don,

My 2006 2500 has 370,000 miles on it and yes parts have worn out. The wife thinks I should trade it in and buy a new truck becaue until I retire from DOD I have a 120 mile trip to work and back. The truck being from Oklahoma there is no rust that I can find but she does show her age. But for about $25,000 I can get the drive line, interior replaced  and a paint job. I think the old girl is going to stay around.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »
Same boat here. I do have a few spots of rust.
My problem is that of my 300+ miles nearly one third is gravel.

No new one for me.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
I just crossed 115,000 miles so everything is in great shape. Has some dents/chips/dings but mechanically I'm doing great. Have two bad glow plugs so a new set of those is inbound at this very moment.

My only issue is that the max I am rated to tow is less than what I need to haul the Kubota around.

Hauling heavy will just not happen because this truck is just too nice to send down the road.

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
What year kodiak would you have to venture back into to get the capacity you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 02:42:25 PM »
What year kodiak would you have to venture back into to get the capacity you need?

Most 3500's will get the job done. I need to tow around 17,000

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »
Scratch up a dually of the older gen and work on similar mods to your black truck. Still come in $30k less then a new one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
Scratch up a dually of the older gen and work on similar mods to your black truck. Still come in $30k less then a new one

And that right there is why new trucks make no sense

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
Yeah I’d say scratch up a 3500 dually from 07-14 and do some upgrade repair.  Not and “Don” oil change lol and leveled some charger mods and trans upgrades.   Air bags and pull!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 04:28:50 PM »
Well, what Dave said but the 2500 will do the job. What is the GVW of the trailer?

2500 and 2500 are the same truck sans the leaf springs. You have added air bags so you should be fine.

If you are worried about legally you don't want to cross the 26k gvw threshold, then you need a another DL per DOT.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Buying a new truck
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
Well, what Dave said but the 2500 will do the job. What is the GVW of the trailer?

2500 and 2500 are the same truck sans the leaf springs. You have added air bags so you should be fine.

If you are worried about legally you don't want to cross the 26k gvw threshold, then you need a another DL per DOT.
I still think if I were to do a designated pull truck I’d like a dually, they seem to handle better on the highway, in the wind, cornering, passing bigger vehicles.

It also goes back to the whole insurance idea from the forum we don’t speak of,  over weight is overweight  in the police and insurances views.  No matter what extra add-ons you have

But again ya think Don is in the Tuck where there is no rule but the rule of ones self

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:05:59 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 05:23:13 PM »
26001 is the denominator here for DOT. The SL95 goes at over 11k, add a spare chains and such with your truck and your prob over that.

A 16k trailer is needed for that since it weighs almost 5k alone. I was looking at 16k trailers but for 2k more I gained about 1k loading capacity.

Going that high with what he wants maybe a dedicated tow machine is in the cards. A stock  dually without all the realman mods even with a gooseneck might keep him under the 26k mark.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Buying a new truck
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 09:58:00 PM »
Or you could go with something like this and have $60k to do what you want. :)

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/d/spring-hill-1998-chevrolet-x4/7214276456.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 10:32:27 PM »
That would be an awesome duramax swap!!  I vote that.  For the content of course

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 10:40:35 PM »
Swap the rear axle and bump it to 6 tires, you live in the tuck. Heck I bet they still don’t require lights or plates on a trailer down there.....  :knucklehead:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 12:18:00 AM »
Swap the rear axle and bump it to 6 tires, you live in the tuck. Heck I bet they still don’t require lights or plates on a trailer down there.....  :knucklehead:
Lights: yes  Plates: No

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 01:11:29 AM »
We’d consider taking your current rig off your hands to help you with financing a non livable mobile house!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 09:01:43 AM »
Shawn is actually onto something Don. Bed, spring and axle off a dually in the same year as your CMax and you are set. Probably $5k tops. That’s the only difference between your truck and the dually anyway.

I knew a guy that had a nice red dually once.....it towed 16k+ like nothin....sold it to a guy on the forum here I heard

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
Lights: yes  Plates: No

Moving in a better direction, I like brake lights......

I can probably find Don everything here local rust free for $2k or less, spend the other $2-3K to freshen up the axle and new deaver or alcans.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 12:12:22 PM »
Then he gets to resell his and recoup some money.  Best part is that its a weekend project and finished.  Not something that drags on for months.

Unless, of course this is all a rouse to convince his wife he needs to spend 70k on a new truck, which in that case, drive on!  I’ve been tempted to get rid of both my trucks and just get another dually.  Ok, I probably would never part with the Bus but the sissy truck could go....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »
Shawn is actually onto something Don. Bed, spring and axle off a dually in the same year as your CMax and you are set. Probably $5k tops. That’s the only difference between your truck and the dually anyway.

I knew a guy that had a nice red dually once.....it towed 16k+ like nothin....sold it to a guy on the forum here I heard

I remember that truck...Only Concours edition dually ever. Would tow anything right up to first place at any car show!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 03:23:03 PM »
Who said "Squirrel?"

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 01:26:07 AM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
:popcorn:
Nothing to see here, just airing my thoughts about the crazee price of new trucks.

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »
I like the Texan's plan. I think that the price tag doesn't worry the younger generations to be frank. my BIL is running around in a 2019 F350 that he's writing off a large portion to his contractor's business and plans on trading it in after about 5 years, so his payment is really just an expensive lease, which seems to be what the big 3 want from us. built in planned obsolescence on parts that are heavy wear items, impossible to replace, forcing their customers to upgrade more regularly rather than repair. keep jacking the prices up and make more on interest on 84 month loans than the actual cost of the vehicle and then start the process over. I just traded in the 04 Yukon Denali for a 5 year old Acadia with similar trim for the wife who wanted to downsize. we had the 04 for 10+ years and started out with 98k on the odometer. I'll never buy new.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »
Buy a used dually write it off with your wifes LLC and use when you need.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal