WEAPONS > Vests & Protection

Body armor deal under a bill

<< < (2/4) > >>

stlaser:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on August 22, 2016, 09:24:42 AM ---Shawn, good to know.  I've always been told to water jet AR500 and the like for that reason.

Don,  Good time to know the difference between cover and concealment! ROFL.  Once we started shortening the barrel on these ARs , the lethality at range dropped like a rock. In and out like an ice pick instead of tumbling and fragmenting.

--- End quote ---

TRN, for reference what the guys are talking about with heat affected zone is this. The process to anneal or normalize the atoms in steel is done by heating the steel red hot over a period of time then letting it air cool.

Now with that stated does a plasma heat the steel red hot? Yes, but where & for how long is the question? 1/4" plate cuts very fast on a plasma, memory serves me correctly at around 150" per min on our hi def Cnc table. So next question is the area that gets affected? I'd say maybe 1/16" inboard of the cut edge & it's red hot for 5 seconds maybe? So really not much surface area & it would be questionable to what if any degree it normalized those atoms.

Then logic goes on to say if I get hit on the edge of the armor by a 30 cal round am I going to be protected? My guess is that area of your body will receive trauma regardless.

For the record, I've spent many hours on the wrong end of an oxy acetylene torch annealing by hand plate around the edge of a laser cut hole so I could run a tap thru said hole. With that stated I can tell you that if I did not heat that plate red hot all the way thru the tap was still pissed later on when I went to run it thru said hole. Dumb real world experience speaking there......

With all that said I would prefer laser or waterjet & the heat affected zone is minimized even more. But money talks as they say.....

cudakidd53:
Put an order it just now!

stlaser:
I've been researching anti spalling & fragmenting options this morning. Everything from thin plastic cutting boards epoxied & duck taped on the outside of these plates to Kevlar bedliner material.....

BobbyB:
Hm.

TexasRedNeck:
Shawn I like real world experience!  So since those plates are flat, could I curve them in a press without adversely impacting their protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version