Hello Guest

Author Topic: "Thoren" Publishing a book  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "Thoren" Publishing a book
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2022, 09:36:51 PM »
Version 2 of the map. Andrea continues to close in on the finished product. This map is near the front of the book. She is still working on it. We were discussing various things including the font style. The fonts you see will not be the finished product
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2022, 09:19:45 PM »
Thoren map V3

Getting closer

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2022, 09:29:00 PM »
Great progress and cool map!

Curious tho, is "Unhabited" a real word?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2022, 09:34:58 PM »
Great progress and cool map!

Curious tho, is "Unhabited" a real word?
Why no, it isn't!
Good catch!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 09:37:43 PM »
So, it is working out like I had hoped it would. The daughter of one of our members here is the actual book illustrator!

Knowledge of her and another came to me, as I have mentioned before.

She is actually the only artist working on this and all the illustrations in the book will be hers as well as the book cover.

I have arranged for her name to appear on the copyright/credits page.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 10:21:40 PM »
Sounds good. So this is still a ways off?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2022, 05:32:27 PM »
Sounds good. So this is still a ways off?
I am editing chapter 4 at the moment (16 chapters)
It gets my write, then my edit, then the publisher's edit, then my final look and re-edit.
With no real illustrations in yet, I'd say we are 20% complete with something like 2 months left to get the written piece done and published. Then the audio book will take some more time.
So I'd bet we are 3 months from the shelves.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2022, 09:09:47 PM »
So here is both version 4 and the final, version 5 which I just sent in to be uploaded to the manuscript:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2022, 08:27:16 PM »
Progress is slow but steady. I am editing the chapters as the professional editing people get done with them. I like what they are doing, which is to make it all read a lot better. They find all manner of mistakes and I am having to review my advanced grammar once again. It is also giving me a chance to add in bits and pieces here and there to tie in the back end of the book even better.

We purchased a new domain: Donharwardbooks.com

A friend is currently building out the web page from some of the material already generated.

I also plan to try to buy my book rights back from the publisher who published Distant Thunder. My plan would be to offer the book as a print on demand offering, and offer an audio version. I would like to be the actual voice for that book, offering commentary here and there above what is already in print.

And

I think, since I have already written all those CIEMR essays, I will do that book next. You see, I want to publish it from start to book shelf all myself so I can learn how that is done. I'd offer that on the website as a POD offering as well as on Amazon and everywhere else too.

Looking way down the road, the next offering would be the sequel to Thoren, book two of the three book series. I may well be able to do the whole thing in house (literally) after learning the ropes with "CIEMR"

Anyway, it continues...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2022, 08:33:20 PM »
You are a busy man!!

Next book, coffee rants

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2022, 07:23:50 AM »
You are a busy man!!

Next book, coffee rants
Keeps him off the streets at night. LOL

Boss you are one driven man. Best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2022, 09:27:21 PM »
Thanks

But I don't know if its all me. This morning, I woke up with Chronicles 7:14 on the brain. Started to write and it just poured out. Me doing that or...?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2022, 09:29:46 PM »
Book now edited and assembled to the end of CH 5

Some more art to share. These will appear opposite the start of some chapters

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2022, 10:20:21 PM »
Still nugging it out. In the trenches right now with all this editing.

Andrea continues to produce really good work.

It is a process to get to the finished piece which will appear opposite the start of each chapter (16 of them)

I'll give here a theme, then she will show me a rendering or two. I'll select which one I want and she will further develop it. I'll then take a hard look at it then suggest more changes or accept it. They she inks it in and I submit it to be added to the growing book. We are between 1/3 and 1/2 complete at the moment.

The pics below show that process. The final sketch will be inked in and submitted as the book art for Chapter 4. It shows a spiritual city called Ginder

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2022, 12:16:28 PM »
And here is the finished product

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2022, 12:55:42 PM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2022, 03:16:20 PM »
Well I can see why you didn't select my art. I have trouble making stick figures. LOL. She does good work

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2022, 04:46:39 PM »
Well I can see why you didn't select my art. I have trouble making stick figures. LOL. She does good work

I have added her name to the copyright page of the book. My hope is for her to use this project as a springboard to launch her career. Then hopefully she will be blessed and hang around to illustrate the next two books in this series

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2022, 09:43:16 PM »
Ran into a bit of a snag with the publisher. The chief editor, Anne has not picked up on my emails for six days now. I suspect something has gone wrong. Seven or eight days ago she sent me a bunch of stuff to check and somehow amidst, a lot of Chapter 4 came up missing. I fixed all that, then sent in the proof-read chapters 1-6 and somehow they never noticed. Subsequent to that, I sent in four additional illustrations and they seem to have not noticed that either.

So I built a fire in the Project manager's email file and am now awaiting his response. My impression is that they are not used to working with a matter of fact military man like me. I've likely pi$$ed them all off and they are not answering the phone.

But here is how that works. My contract has a 100% refund policy if I am not completely satisfied. I am beginning to become something less than completely satisfied. I will pull the plug on this company in a Kentucky minute, which is a bit slower than the New York minutes. I'll fire them and start all over again with a new publisher if they remain on this track

Time will tell...

In the meantime, Andrea supplied her rendering of a scene in the book from a meeting at "Great Nest"
I think she did a good job of capturing the moment. Sketch is neither inked nor finished.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2022, 03:18:35 PM »
Here is the final "Great Nest" illustration

I think it is her best work yet

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2022, 03:23:42 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2022, 04:12:17 PM »
Very good work. She is very gifted

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2022, 10:01:59 AM »
The work continues, man what a bunch of effort this thing has been. And I was thinking it was a 250 page book, boy was I wrong. Up through chapter 12 now with the editing and the thing has 356 pages currently and is still missing 3 chapters. That means I am looking at somewhere from 450-500 pages in this first work of the Thoren series. Unless I am mistaken, that's the size of the thing so far.

So I need some input, and Andrea, our young artist needs some input. As I have stated earlier, Andrea is just starting and we all want this book and her illustrations to provide her a stepping stone into the career field. I want the book to be top notch and I want her work to speak as highly about her as it can.

I am sharing the illustration she just submitted to sit opposite one of the chapter starts. I am not sure how I feel about it, sort of like it, but feel it is missing some detail. To help me, if some of you could look at it and comment, it could help me see how the readership sees it

Thanks

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2022, 10:33:30 AM »
Don, I agree it’s missing something.
I can’t put my finger on it for sure.

I want to say more detail in the three fellas that are lacking may be part of it.
The one on the left back to us has lots and the rest blend away.
Possibly more terrain detal also?

But.
I’m not sure that is the issue either.

I guess you made it through the miscommunication lack of communication with the publisher.
Going to be a big book.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 10:34:22 AM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2022, 10:36:25 AM »
The work continues, man what a bunch of effort this thing has been. And I was thinking it was a 250 page book, boy was I wrong. Up through chapter 12 now with the editing and the thing has 356 pages currently and is still missing 3 chapters. That means I am looking at somewhere from 450-500 pages in this first work of the Thoren series. Unless I am mistaken, that's the size of the thing so far.

So I need some input, and Andrea, our young artist needs some input. As I have stated earlier, Andrea is just starting and we all want this book and her illustrations to provide her a stepping stone into the career field. I want the book to be top notch and I want her work to speak as highly about her as it can.

I am sharing the illustration she just submitted to sit opposite one of the chapter starts. I am not sure how I feel about it, sort of like it, but feel it is missing some detail. To help me, if some of you could look at it and comment, it could help me see how the readership sees it

Thanks
I think it would stand out more if it was colorized but don't think that will happen. I would suggest that mid drawing(baseof the mountain rocky area and the grass) if it had more detail (trees, brush rocks night time flying creatures/insects) may break up what I see as a bunch of open space

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2022, 03:06:24 PM »
I have to correct myself.

This thing is currently 428 pages with three missing chapters, so over 500 pages I'm thinking.

I had 250-270 ish printed pages but when they format for the 5X8 size it blew it out W  A  Y   L  O  N  G  E  R

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2022, 06:16:30 PM »

Thanks

OK from the 0.02 of a hack artist; the lack of detail is firelight reflecting off the gents sitting closest to the fire. brighter light, etc. she could give some skeletal outlines to the center mage looking fellow, but you have to understand that the illustrations need to keep continuity with the earlier illustrations as though the same Thoren historian were drawing them. look back at earlier pieces. do the light and shadow effects appear similarly? is there a drastic change from one chapter to the next? this is what she will be judged on by other artists objectively viewing her work. if you want to help her, you need to make these points and have her review her own work. maybe she was just tired that day...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2022, 09:30:20 PM »
it seems to be coming down to Andrea closing the loop on this.

I now have in my possession the entire novel. All 544 pages of it! I still have to check and agree or change the final three chapters edits and comments, but then it is done except for the missing illustrations, eleven in all remaining.

Once we get those the thing will go into formatting and upon my final approval, go into actual production.

We're closing in on the finished product.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2022, 06:55:31 AM »
Great news

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »

Thanks
From an artistic perspective it’s hard to say without the context of that chapter. 

However the figure to the far right seems un naturally upright and chest and legs seem out of place compared to the other figures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »

Thanks
From an artistic perspective it’s hard to say without the context of that chapter. 

However the figure to the far right seems un naturally upright and chest and legs seem out of place compared to the other figures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think "far right guy" is standing up in the foreground while the others are sitting around the fire which would make his size disproportionate to the surroundings.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2022, 06:18:31 PM »
So we are not at the finish line but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am now editing the final two chapters of this book

We are a little behind on the illustrations so Andrea certainly has her work cut out for her, but I am sure she can rise to the occasion and get it all done.

She, unfortunately, suffered a disappointment today (I think). I sent in her book cover proposal and it was shot down. It didn't meet the standards the publisher was looking for. But it may be a soft landing for her, as I am trying to get the color illustration inside the book somewhere.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »
Yesterday I finished checking all the editorial comments for the final three chapters.
The writing process is something like this:

You have an idea
   Make up an outline
First you write something
   Next you go back over it correcting misspellings and structure
Next you write some more
   You will find yourself going backward often to insert something to tie in better with subsequent writings
You repeat this process
   Finally you reach a point where it ends and you've said what you want to say
You submit the work to publishers
   You get picked up or just hire one
They review the work and assign an editing team
  You contract up and get at it.
They will edit maybe 10,000-20,000 words at a time. For me we did about three chapters at a time
   You get their edit and review it. You make your final changes, then sign off on that piece
While all this is going on, the book cover design is in progress.
   The editing process goes on and on until you get completely done
You approve a book cover
   All along the way you add/subtract/change art as necessary
Finally all the art is compiled to the written word
  Next the layout people lay the thing out. Chapters start on the right, skip pages, and balance everything
You finally get a completed work to approve, with proofed pages, hundreds of them
   You make one final check of that and when satisfied, sign off on the work. This closes the door to changes
A copyright, a ISBN, and a library of congress numbers are applied for and received back
   Those are added into the book and with that it is ready to print
The print people get busy and digital copies of the book are uploaded to Amazon and others
   You have a work that can now be ordered or downloaded
The audio book process begins with the author hearing several readers present
   The author approves the actual reader who will then be recorded into audio files
That process continues until you have a complete work
   The audio book now becomes available for download
The Author is done. He will be paid twice a year from sales

If he was picked up by a publisher, he is paid according to a schedule and does not make very much. Generally, he makes 15%-20% of gross proceeds which aren't much. If he hired the publisher he makes the opposite end, 80%-85%.

In any case 95% or more of all books written barely break even. In the case of this book, THoren, I decided to hire out the publishing this time. It cost me $4,500 to start the process. I'll have to sell hundreds to perhaps a couple thousand to break even which I do not expect to do. I did this because I promised my son that I would write him a book, and I made good my word.

But in doing so, I did something else. I want to build into the kingdom of God, and that's why I borrowed from the bible. About mid book, I realized there would be a second and possibly a third book to tell this story. In the next book I will introduce God directly into the text. I want to show him walking amongst his people. Exactly how I do that and what period of time this story occupies in the historical record is one of the great surprises to come. My greatest hope is to introduce a lot of people to God and Jesus through this near brush with him

We'll see if it works

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2022, 09:58:05 AM »
Some of Andrea's latest work:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2022, 12:16:14 PM »
Who said it would be easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2022, 01:47:40 PM »
Who said it would be easy.
...No one, ever!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
J-bomb (A friend) who designs web sites just built this one for me and the book/writing activity

I think he did a great job

https://donharwardbooks.com/

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2022, 11:09:17 AM »
Website looks good Don!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2022, 08:30:15 AM »
Website looks good Don!

There's one in a row! Notice anything familiar in there?

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2022, 09:49:33 AM »
Saw the piece from Andrea on the Thoren page, I haven’t had a chance to ask her if she’s taken a look at the website yet.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2022, 11:04:16 AM »
Nice

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2022, 12:52:43 PM »
Saw the piece from Andrea on the Thoren page, I haven’t had a chance to ask her if she’s taken a look at the website yet.

I'm getting favorable comments about it
When it is done, there will be a place for her to blog with folks interested in her work

My friend who built the website will be gone for awhile. He owns a gold mine in Africa and is off to replace excavator hoses and get muddy. When he gets back I'll see if he can build it out some more

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2022, 06:09:56 PM »
just a recommendation so that the new site dose not end up like this one.

- make sure that you get a master copy of the HTML, Javascript, Java, C++, whatever language file

- make sure that you get all of the usernames and passwords and links to whatever server is hosting the site

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:03 PM »
I think I have a cover and back designed. This is a mockup of what I think we will be going for...

I am using a piece of Andrea's work here. What do you all think?

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2022, 10:04:30 PM »
Looks great
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2022, 10:31:08 PM »
Looks great to me, though I may be a bit biased.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2022, 09:53:53 AM »
Looks great.

Are the about the book and author intentionally another language?
Or was this a just for the feel of it thing.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2022, 08:11:16 PM »
Looks good

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2022, 10:03:28 PM »
Looks great.

Are the about the book and author intentionally another language?
Or was this a just for the feel of it thing.
Yes, just some latin thrown in there to show something written. Actual script is yet to be invented

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal