Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Tesla  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New Tesla
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2022, 11:04:58 AM »
So this is now three charging stations in Utah?

Something's up there

Haven't even heard of anything like that here in the Kentucky area of operations
This is the gas station I took the google image from, I fueled this Am  here and verified my previous statement is all.  I’ll look at another spot on my way out of Logan this evening. 

Just verifying was all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »
So this is now three charging stations in Utah?

Something's up there

Haven't even heard of anything like that here in the Kentucky area of operations
This is the gas station I took the google image from, I fueled this Am  here and verified my previous statement is all.  I’ll look at another spot on my way out of Logan this evening. 

Just verifying was all

Copy that. Appreciate the information

So, Duane and I talked to Tesla yesterday about the type of batteries in our cars. Learned I (the internet) had it backward. The lithium Iron Phosphate LFP batteries are not installed in the Performance version of the Model 3, only in the standard and long range. The more spendy and slightly higher voltage (like 360VDC) Lithium-Ion batteries are installed in the performance car.
Not related to this discussion, I know, but we did call. I believe I am going to contact them reference these bagged supercharging stations. I think it's relevant to the owners' experience. I do not believe this is a national phenomenon, but a local one, however, if it happens there, then where else?

Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2022, 11:37:05 AM »
Had a conversation with Duane this AM about these Eco-Flow battery generators.

He wants it to power his camper, especially at locations where they have quiet hours where gen use is restricted.

I saw it from a slightly different perspective.

Thinking about taking that long-distance trip in my coming Tesla car, I noticed the distance between some supercharger stations is stretching it a bit. Although well within the range of the car, range is really dependent on "Load." I have a refueling station in London, KY, down neat Tennessee, and the next all the way over at Ashville, N.C. So I have to ask myself the question, is the range calculated based on a single-occupant vehicle on level ground? So what if I place another adult or even two in the car? And what if I drive that loaded car up over mountain grades that have you going uphill at an 8% grade for miles? Certainly, the load for the straight-line distance would have been greater, right?

Therefore, I think that stretching the refuel stops becomes worrisome and that anxiety, wondering if you're gonna make it or not is going to take all the "Nice drive" component out of the trip. EV owners need a spare gas can alternative to ensure we don't get stranded.

Enter the ECO-FLOW battery/generator. It is not too big, or heavy and can provide 3.5KW of stored energy. So if you're not making it because you decided to tow a boat up mount Everest, then at Base camp 1, you can pull over, plug into the battery in your trunk, and proceed happily to the supercharger at the upper ice fields.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2022, 11:42:48 AM »
Now, this is going to be a whole new discussion, but I think, having one of these along will change the experience and should make the use of an EV fit better into the current US vehicle/EV charging picture. Cool thing is that thing can be fully charged at a Tesla station in like 10 minutes. So if you burn it on the trip over the crevasses, you just plug it in, top up your quoffee, and you're ready to summit on your next leg.

At $3199, it's gonna hurt, but with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries, it will be around for a good 20 years. It could even power your house, or tie in with an add-on 3.6KW battery to power your home for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Portable-Expandable-Generator/dp/B09MVJP7MV/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_1/144-6481293-9489503?pd_rd_w=JjP5t&content-id=amzn1.sym.8e5a2e6a-2480-42b2-b29b-9d31f472f1fb&pf_rd_p=8e5a2e6a-2480-42b2-b29b-9d31f472f1fb&pf_rd_r=APTB27Z1N380JVJBXVSB&pd_rd_wg=c9jgr&pd_rd_r=209be512-285a-4354-8438-b700ac0e2d6c&pd_rd_i=B09MVJP7MV&th=1
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:47:35 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2022, 02:25:37 PM »
I had a smaller one, not ecoflow and heard very good things about them. I had a westinghouse 1500 that would not put out close to the rated watts, much less the surge needed to run a 1.5hp comp.

Ecoflow seems to get great reviews but I could swallow the $$. I have a 7500 watt inverter and 200ah setup in my cont for about the same price. 
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2022, 10:02:44 PM »
Don you have probably already figured this out but there is a really strong Tesla community and I bet there is a forum to separate the myth from reality.

Redundancy is good. Two is one and one is none.

CM

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2022, 10:26:40 PM »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Tesla
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2022, 07:20:00 AM »
There are additional reasons I decided to order the Ecoflow Delta Pro power station. As Don stated, it will be used during “quiet hours” while camping.

We also do a lot of off-grid camping/hunting in remote areas where a gas station is 40+ miles away on rough forest service roads. If I deploy solar panels with the power station, I believe I can stay powered up indefinitely.

I will also use this at my home as a backup in case of a power outage.

It will be used as a “construction generator” as we build a new home in Wyoming.

It will be used as a component of the Wyoming house’s grid-tied solar system.

It will be used as a “gas can” for the Tesla if needed for that purpose.

I have a trip to Wyoming coming up soon and will be boone-docking for several weeks or more. We’ll see how that turns out.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 07:21:19 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »
Duane, nice to see you posting. Keep us updated on the eco flow I’ve been looking at them. A YouTube couple I follow on a remote property recently added one.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »
Don you have probably already figured this out but there is a really strong Tesla community and I bet there is a forum to separate the myth from reality.

Redundancy is good. Two is one and one is none.

CM

I'm connecting slowly. It seems those well-established are on their second-third car and totally immersed. They don't hesitate to do anything with their cars.

Strange local phenomena, possibly nationwide: Used late model Teslas are selling for more than they cost when retailed to the original owner. Yesterday, there was a model 3 for $69K. I don't even think it was a performance version. Mine cost me $63K new...!!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2022, 11:39:02 AM »
If it went for the initial cost of the ecoflow I would jump on it. I think something like that would be great for around the ridge. I actually got two different units, both 1500 units with 2000+ burst, neither would run my 1.5hp compressor (1000 watts running) so both got sent back. They were both at the 1k price point.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »
Duane, nice to see you posting. Keep us updated on the eco flow I’ve been looking at them. A YouTube couple I follow on a remote property recently added one.
Will do. Which “Homesteading” YouTubers deployed an Ecoflow system?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2022, 03:10:36 PM »
Will do. Which “Homesteading” YouTubers deployed an Ecoflow system?

Ambition Strikes in northern ID, they used to run a 4x shop in Cali. They’re fairly humble, admit when they don’t know something and are constantly learning.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2022, 05:05:17 PM »
Watch them all the time. Cool she gets her hands dirty with ease.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
They the ones that recently got a D8?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2022, 09:28:43 PM »
They the ones that recently got a D8?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yes, lol

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2022, 09:43:40 PM »
Yeah, almost big enough, but they still couldn't get a cement truck up the road.

Hate to see what they are really spending on solar. Looks like a lot of stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2022, 10:22:44 PM »
Yeah, almost big enough, but they still couldn't get a cement truck up the road.

Hate to see what they are really spending on solar. Looks like a lot of stuff.

Pretty sure they’re getting it at max cost as I think they’re sponsored by the equipment manufacturers.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2022, 12:34:56 AM »
Must be nice. I used to get "taken" care of when I was hard into RC planes and helicopters.

I want the LMTV!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2022, 08:14:24 PM »
Bad news today

Tesla backed up my delivery date window. Now 12 Sep-8 Oct

No sign of a vin

I hear reports of chip shortages

I also heard rumor of this big backlog of cars, over 400,000 might not get delivered until 2023.

Unhappee face...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2022, 08:37:36 PM »
I have seen an odd phenomonea here locally with these Tesla cars.

I just looked at an ad for a used (just delivered) model 3 long range which was like $58K when the original owner ordered it. The thing is for sale for $69,000
Last week the same thing happened. A lower spec Model 3 was delivered and apparently immediately put up for sale for $69K, a $12K premium.

Think about this for a minute. You can order a Tesla car, wait months and months to get it, then sell it the same day for a $10 grand profit.

I don't even have to think about this one...I think I'm gonna keep a Tesla on order indefinitely. If I can be the poor guy who is constantly waiting, but I make 10K with every delivery...That takes me buying six cars before the next one is free.

I'm thinking of a plan. Perhaps it's time my wife orders her new model 3...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
The delivery date just changed again:

Estimated Delivery: August 20 - September 17
Delivery timing will update based on configuration availability. We will reach out to schedule your delivery when your VIN is assigned.

That's a positive move!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2022, 03:45:10 PM »
Sounds like my building, but costs more and they tell you up front.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2022, 07:55:40 PM »
Sounds like my building, but costs more and they tell you up front.
So you good? Back home?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2022, 09:04:02 PM »
Yes, just got out of the shower.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
Yes, just got out of the shower.
Answered prayer

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2022, 09:48:42 AM »
Just got another delivery update...It moved closer:

Estimated Delivery: August 18 - August 31
Delivery timing will update based on configuration availability. We will reach out to schedule your delivery when your VIN is assigned.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2022, 11:21:00 PM »
Based on Duane's experience with his Tesla, he got the exact same message I just got, then the next day they issued him the VIN. The following day he got a text that his car was ready for pickup at the Tesla store.

I got my first message on Friday. They do not text on weekends. so, if the pattern works out like his, I should be getting my VIN on Monday or Tuesday. If that happens chances are good, I'll be driving my car next week.

To prepare for its arrival, I purchased the 50-amp adapter for the factory charging cable.

I also ordered the factory HD floor mats and some factory glass top sunscreens. They cut the sun by 64%. I am no big fan of sunroofs, but model 3's only comes with a full glass roof.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2022, 11:45:43 PM »
I had a thought.

The Model S performance, the Plaid is now using the new Model 3 electric motors. Model 3 is leading the fleet with a new and more efficient neodymium magnet electric motor. For some reason, they are rating the motors at 500 hp. I'm not sure if that is per motor or both in concert?? Anyway, it's pretty high-tech stuff. I think I read where the armature doesn't touch much as it remains suspended in a strong electromagnetic field.

I know the plaid has additional cooling glycol being pumped around the motor, but I think the motor is the same as mine and Duane's. So that motor in the Model S is rated at something like 1000 hp and propels that car down the 1/4 mile in 9.2 seconds. The model S is a larger and heavier car than my model 3. 100 lbs is worth a tenth. I think the model S is 200-300 pounds heavier. so that's 2-3 tenths. I can't help but think if the motors in my car were allowed to perform at the same level it does in the model S, a Model 3 performance might just become a factory 8-second in the quarter mile. Wouldn't that make it the fastest production car in the world or right next to it? Dunno, does anything out there run an 8.99 in factory stock configuration? Do any superbikes? F-22, F-18, anything?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2022, 11:49:49 PM »
Quick yes, but the 22 and 18 are just getting going there. Still cool.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »
Quick yes, but the 22 and 18 are just getting going there. Still cool.
But think of it...This already produced seemingly insignificant and somewhat mundane-looking semi-sports car could just be the quickest thing mankind has ever produced...

I'm waiting for someone to come out with tunes for these things. Nothing short of a full-on drag car is going to be able to touch them and they will still get north of (a relative) 150 or more miles per gallon (When comparing supercharging costs vs the current cost of gas)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2022, 09:39:23 PM »
Another update from Tesla:

The delivery date slid to the 23rd of August, but notice now the window is only a week

and

I HAVE A VIN NUMBER!

our Model 3
RN117418187

VIN 5YJ3E1E*******153

View Design Details
Estimated Delivery: August 23 - August 27
We will reach out to schedule your delivery soon

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2022, 12:17:17 PM »
That vin decodes in part to state manufactured in Fremont, CA.

And

I just got a text from Tesla which says my car just departed the factory in California and in enroute...look for upcoming texts to schedule a delivery date.

The earlier website update on my account stated a 23-27 delivery date. Enroute time from Cali to Cincinnati, I am guessing is 7-10 days, so that checks out and likely, I may be picking it up a little early

The floor mats came in. Ordered from Tesla, but the box is marked "Weather tech."

Still awaiting my 50 amp adapter plug and the roof shades

Contemplating purchasing a Tesla charging wall mount unit priced at $400

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2022, 12:46:24 PM »
Must be on one of the cars trains going buy here, massive.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2022, 07:56:30 PM »
Must be on one of the cars trains going buy here, massive.
It was JR!

Message from Tesla today. It was shipped from Freemont today via rail. Destination: Chicago. From there it will be trucked or drag raced to Cincinnati

I am financing this one. Not flushed with enough cash to outright purchase it. That will come next time ;-)

Turns out most banks will not finance a Tesla. Something about the system of having no dealerships and having to deal directly with the manufacturer that they can't comprehend. Luckily, USAA does and they jumped on it. They do a valuation of the car prior to releasing funds. They gave me a value for my car of $88,000!

What the heck!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2022, 05:01:04 PM »
I just got another text where they asked me to schedule a delivery appointment

Which

I

Did!!!!

Delivery Appointment
Aug 22, 2022 at 11:00 AM
Cincinnati
9111 Blue Ash Road
Blue Ash, OH 45242
Add to Calendar

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2022, 06:31:51 PM »
Stop in at Blue Ash Chili while you are there..

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2022, 06:49:05 PM »
Stop in at Blue Ash Chili while you are there..

Tex,

I'm sorry...but chili around here?

These people do not know how to do chili

Brown sugar and cinnamon and they puree the meat!

Funny story: When I was flying out of Kandahar for those few years, in the building where I lived in the hallway someone built some shelves. If you didn't want something you'd just put it there for everyone else.
One Christmas someone sent me a case of Gold Star chili, you know to remind me of home and all that.
I tried to eat a single can, but even that was bad. I put it out in the hallway. No kidding, months later, could even be a year, it was still there!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2022, 08:26:11 PM »
Yeah it’s not texas chili but I went there a few times when I used to visit an office we had in blue ash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2022, 09:00:28 PM »
Yeah it’s not texas chili but I went there a few times when I used to visit an office we had in blue ash.

How bout I crash Jeff Ruby's on the way back with the frau?
;-)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 09:20:14 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2022, 09:38:33 PM »
Would Love to go with you.  They are so cool.  I was wearing multicam shorts and a noveske t shirt and hadn’t planned on going so they accommodated me in the downstairs bar when I went through there on my way to pick up my RV

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »
Would Love to go with you.  They are so cool.  I was wearing multicam shorts and a noveske t shirt and hadn’t planned on going so they accommodated me in the downstairs bar when I went through there on my way to pick up my RV

That's one of the reasons we love to go there as a family
THe dressing up part.
Arrive, then have the car vale'd off, then the kind reception
Next the whole dining experience while wearing a jacket and tie with the boys dressed up. It may cost a small mortgage payment, but who can put a price on the memories?
So while on the subject of fine dining in Cincy, I recommend the following:

Seasons 52    Features chef-prepared seafood to steaks, never had a miss there, medium expensive
The Precinct      This is the Jeff Ruby restaurant where it all started. An old cincy police station. Steaks, expensive.
The Chart House     Fine dining centered around a seafood menu sitting and perched over the Ohio river in Newport, KY
McCormick and Schmicks     Fine dining in the center if downtown. Chef prepared seafood, my favorite, expensive
Grandview Tavern    Located in Ft. Mitchel KY, very nice area, traditional country cuisine, specialty: Fried chicken, medium expensive
Walts Hitching Post     Fort Wright, KY, generations of ribs. Best in the area. Reasonably priced
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 09:18:19 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2022, 09:33:28 AM »
So, I am most of the way through the process now. The final phase prior to delivery was the financing piece. Like I said, this one I needed to finance, but the next one, I'm strokin' the check for. Goal: Pick up a plaid model S in four years.

I discovered that most banks are not interested in working with Tesla, but Wells Fargo has a tesla dedicated financing arm. If you fill out the online app while ordering the car, you will be applying to Wells Fargo. I use USAA for everything, member now for 42 years. I now enjoy cash back (And a lot of it!) twice annually as they are more of a Co-op and we the people own them. Created by retired Army officers, for military officers, USAA has always been the go-to place for mil families.

As it turns out USAA had procedures for dealing with Tesla purchases so that, too was seamless. Most things go on behind the scenes and you never really feel the impact.

The delivery appointment is scheduled for 15 minutes. They ask that you arrive promptly. The briefing tells me I will sign some paperwork, and then have my phone app updated and be handed two credit card-looking vehicle keys. With that complete, I just go find my car in the parking lot, no further contact with Tesla is required.

I'll report on that after the fact.

We continue to learn more and more from owners. A man Kat met a couple of days ago says he drives 60 miles per day, to/from work, and charges at night. His power provider, Duke Energy does not have evening pricing. He pays $68 a month in additional electrical fees to use his car. ($68 per month!!!). He said they drive it all over the country, mostly because it is such a comfortable car to take long distances. He said his recent trip from the tuck to Denver and back cost him $350 in supercharger fees. He said he never had to wait, and it took him a bit over 20 minutes at each stop. He said, he is sold and never going back.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2022, 01:19:13 PM »
Just confirmed that comment above. Trip length of 3,800 miles at a cost of $350 of supercharger station recharges.

If you had a car or truck which got 20 mpg, you would have to purchase 190 gallons

At $5 a gallon that would have cost $950

So operating this car in a long trip mode where you are paying the highest price for electric charging you would save $600 or close to a third the cost of driving a gas car

Then consider you are looking at a $50-$70 oil change within two thousand miles after and the savings really start to mount up. So we can comfortably say that you can drive a Tesla car on a long trip for about a forth the cost of operating an ICE vehicle.

And that is using very expensive supercharging, commercial charging.

The same man pays $68 a month, by charging at home and drives about 60 miles a day just work related for 23 days. He obviously drives more than just to/from work and probably drives some on weekends, but just using the work miles, we have 1380 miles for a cost of $68

The gasser getting 20mpg uses 69 gallons of gas

69 gallons @ $5/gal = $345

Now, the Tesla is really starting to stretch its legs with an operating cost of only 19.7% of the gasser (Not including fluid changes and gasser servicing)

80% less

And I might point out that the power company in my example here is not the same as mine. My power company does indeed have cheaper rates after midnight until 0600, so I will be able to operate at something less that the example above.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Tesla
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2022, 01:32:07 PM »

THe dressing up part.
Next the whole dining experience while wearing a jacket and tie with the boys dressed up. It may cost a small mortgage payment, but who can put a price on the memories?

Seasons 52    Features chef-prepared seafood to steaks, never had a miss there, medium expensive
The Precinct      This is the Jeff Ruby restaurant where it all started. An old cincy police station. Steaks, expensive.
The Chart House     Fine dining centered around a seafood menu sitting and perched over the Ohio river in Newport, KY
McCormick and Schmicks     Fine dining in the center if downtown. Chef prepared seafood, my favorite, expensive
Grandview Tavern    Located in Ft. Mitchel KY, very nice area, traditional country cuisine, specialty: Fried chicken, medium expensive
Walts Hitching Post     Fort Wright, KY, generations of ribs. Best in the area. Reasonably priced

Going to use this as my go to list for taking my wife out for nice dinners.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 01:33:08 PM by dave945 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2022, 01:50:02 PM »
I have to check out USAA, my insurance is getting to be almost $500 a month. Father was career Marine, mom still had her ID when she passed. Says military, spouses and children, we will see.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2022, 02:49:08 PM »

THe dressing up part.

Going to use this as my go to list for taking my wife out for nice dinners.
Suggestion: Call me a week or so before. Depending on what you/she may enjoy, that list is nowhere near as complete as I can offer verbally.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2022, 02:56:30 PM »
I have to check out USAA, my insurance is getting to be almost $500 a month. Father was career Marine, mom still had her ID when she passed. Says military, spouses and children, we will see.
There is a "window" to qualify, then things get tricky. If your dad was a USAA member, then you're golden. If not, well...Perhaps I could adopt you as my long-lost son and you could qualify that way

I have a 2022 Caddy and a 2022 Tesla on full coverage, and an 18-year-old with an Infinity G35, liability and comprehensive, and then my burb and Chevy 2500 all for around $400 a month. And I get a Christmas check for $500-$1000 and another check in Feb for $1,700 (last year). You won't get that, but the USAA plan puts money (Their corporate profits) into the member's savings accounts. Mine is over $25K currently and the company additionally pays dividends. For most people, they pay a Christmas dividend around the 10th of Dec, but for long-term members, they pay a longevity dividend which increases handsomely every year. I think the model is set up to actually pay all the costs of insurance on your 50th year of membership. I've been there 42 years.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 02:58:45 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2022, 03:19:52 PM »
Nope, never a member so I might be out. I have 5 vehicles, umbrella for that. Home is separate. Starting look for the Ridge now too, over the basic coverage limit.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2022, 03:41:26 PM »
Just confirmed that comment above. Trip length of 3,800 miles at a cost of $350 of supercharger station recharges.

If you had a car or truck which got 20 mpg, you would have to purchase 190 gallons

At $5 a gallon that would have cost $950

So operating this car in a long trip mode where you are paying the highest price for electric charging you would save $600 or close to a third the cost of driving a gas car

Then consider you are looking at a $50-$70 oil change within two thousand miles after and the savings really start to mount up. So we can comfortably say that you can drive a Tesla car on a long trip for about a forth the cost of operating an ICE vehicle.

And that is using very expensive supercharging, commercial charging.

The same man pays $68 a month, by charging at home and drives about 60 miles a day just work related for 23 days. He obviously drives more than just to/from work and probably drives some on weekends, but just using the work miles, we have 1380 miles for a cost of $68

The gasser getting 20mpg uses 69 gallons of gas

69 gallons @ $5/gal = $345

Now, the Tesla is really starting to stretch its legs with an operating cost of only 19.7% of the gasser (Not including fluid changes and gasser servicing)

80% less

And I might point out that the power company in my example here is not the same as mine. My power company does indeed have cheaper rates after midnight until 0600, so I will be able to operate at something less that the example above.
I think the big kicker on Tesla ownership is initial cost, especially in todays continual increasing inflation world. A 72k car on 7 years at 2% (which doesn’t exist I don’t believe) is 920 a month. So the real cost is right at 1000 a month with electricity.

You can get a Toyota Camry loaded for 40ish get 25mpg or so, at which point your cost is reasonable monthly.  Which makes me think ICE is still more cost effective for most. It sure does suck having to pay 4.50-5$ a gal for foreign gas though.

All that to say, I am simply waiting for the cyber truck to come out At which point we will consider ownership. And will drive our 74 dodge and 17 tacoMa until then most likely, maybe sell tacoMa for a duramax, we’ll see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal