Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance
« on: August 22, 2022, 07:38:43 PM »
After waiting months, I finally took delivery of my car this morning
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 07:43:34 PM »
The process is pretty stress-free. You just show up on time, pair your phone and key cards to your car and drive away. I did have to sign a few forms and I did tour around some and stumbled across my Tesla dream car a Model S Plaid. That's the one that does the quarter in 9.2 seconds.

After driving my car which runs the quarter in 11.50, owning one of those has to be an out-of-body experience.

Anyway, we made a cool half-day out of it. Here is the first glance I had of it on the charger, topping it off to nearly 300 miles range, and just after they pulled it up into the delivery lane

The last pic is of the plaid.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 07:44:57 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 07:46:13 PM »
We were pretty happy

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 07:49:15 PM »
After a short session setting the car up for the drive home, I took I-71 south through Cincinnati. What a nice comfortable drive. The AC is very adjustable and works great, even with a tinted glass roof. An hour later, I pulled into the driveway

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »
After driving around some to get used to it, I subjected myself to the G-forces this car can generate. One really needs to experience it to believe a car can run like that. The power comes on instantly and can be nearly violent. I'd say, be sure you are ready for it when you stab the throttle.

After all that, and with the car which has some A.I. software going on, the car is still learning about itself and the world. Like a big baby, this car has to learn about the world and as it does it will slowly give you more and more features. I have not driven enough at this point to use the autopilot. All it will give me at the moment is cruise control. The manual says the car needs around 200 miles of different kinds of driving to have learned enough to be ready to drive itself. It is pretty smart already. It knows when you are close to the grass, as in off-road, and will squawk at you to get back on the pavement. It knows when there are traffic cones. Kathy was opening the door when it squawked, and I noticed a barrier pole near her door! While you are driving along, on your screen it displays the position of all the other vehicles around you and accurately displays a semi as a semi and a car as a car, and so forth

Next was a training visit to the supercharger station. I plugged in with 189 miles range. It told me I had 21 minutes of charge time, but in maybe 15 I was charged to nearly 290 miles. I noticed the mileage remaining correlates pretty well with the miles you are traveling. That goes out the window when you floor it for a 0-70 shot or two.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 08:03:07 PM »
I think the total charge for the added 90 odd miles was around $5, so in this case about 80-90 mpg equavilent. This supercharger station thing is three times the cost of charging at home.

Had to do some paperwork as always...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:05:14 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 08:05:54 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^Tried to turn the pics upright but it didn't work!!!!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 06:02:56 AM »
You look happy, congrats. Now with all your fuel savings maybe you can afford a steel welding table? I mean you did just buy an electric car so there is hope!

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 08:42:03 AM »
Congrats Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »
You look happy, congrats. Now with all your fuel savings maybe you can afford a steel welding table? I mean you did just buy an electric car so there is hope!
This brings up a question. With the batterieson this thing does it come with some welding connections so you can do repair or build somethingwith it?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 09:25:03 AM »

Got it covered...Scored a good piece of 3/4" Marine grade plywood! Gonna be weldin' up a storm now!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
This brings up a question. With the batterieson this thing does it come with some welding connections so you can do repair or build somethingwith it?

Don't know about that, but it comes with a strange towing apparatus! In the "Frunk" on the floor, there is a recess that securely mounts a substantial ring eye bolt that screws into the front structure via an access plug. Maybe it's used to pull jeeps out which are stuck on the side of the road...dunno...?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:37:18 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
I mean, it's already AWD (4WD)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 10:05:42 AM »
When do we see the metal fab front and rear bumpers, extra batteries rack, light bar and such?

What’s the protocol for a spare tire/wheel combo?

Regardless of the power plant it’s a great looking color! 
Burnout video?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »
Congrats Don, you just bought the most USA made vehicle.  About 90% of that car is made right here in USA.  It can be done with all technologies if the effort is made and its thought out.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 03:10:37 PM »
Congrats Don, you just bought the most USA made vehicle.  About 90% of that car is made right here in USA.  It can be done with all technologies if the effort is made and its thought out.
Yeah but Exxon has a higher ESG score…..facepalm

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »
When do we see the metal fab front and rear bumpers, extra batteries rack, light bar and such?

What’s the protocol for a spare tire/wheel combo?

Regardless of the power plant it’s a great looking color! 
Burnout video?

Most of that, I'd say you'll have a long wait to see...(Read:Never)

But you do know this thing has a "Drift" mode built in, right?

This car is no joke. On a hot day at any altitude, it will generate 11.50 quarter mile times all day long (As long as ther is a socket available to plug into ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 05:23:58 PM »
I think this man is so far ahead of the curve

The more I learn about this, the more I think that SpaceX has a large share and great influence in the company

But, now that I know the product more intimately...I REALLY WANT a model S (plaid) but any Model S would do...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 05:25:15 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2022, 11:55:19 AM »
The Tesla factory optioned sunscreens fit very well. Supposed to cut the sun by 64%

I look at them as huge cost savings over the uber expensive ceramic window tint film that is going on next week. Saved me more than a couple hundred.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2022, 11:57:56 AM »
The factory-optioned floor mats were made by weather tech. They also fit very well. These are so much better than the weather tech mats in my Chevy truck. These look like a precision fit and maintain some "rubbery" feel to them.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2022, 12:04:35 PM »
I charged the car for the first time in my garage last night. It didn't need much, maybe 20% to top off.

The connectors are not simply wires and prongs. There is a Bluetooth aspect to them and some intelligence.

A charging cable, Intelligent?

Ya, I'd have thought so too.

But based on the wall outlet, (I think) the car limits input amperage. I noticed that when I pull into a supercharger station, I can suck down a lightning bolt, when I attached my cable, I noticed it imposed a max of 32-amp load. I am not able to toggle it up to the 50 amps I would prefer.

I did have to tell it when the "Off-peak" electricity occurred, and it automatically selected that time to charge. After 2200, my sparkage falls to half price.

Pardon my messy garage, please. It's a "working" garage.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2022, 09:45:25 AM »
Learning more and more about the car.
It's great! Nothing not to love about this thing...Especially when it picks up all routine transportation duties that I used to do with the gas-suckin' Suburban or expensive Duramax.
I feel I have a perfect combination of vehicles now.
The Duramax truck with its soon-to-be-installed new interior and recent updates is a forever truck that will work hard for years and years to come. She has a nice low mileage Caddy capable of a good capacity and nearly 30 mpg. And finally, the TM3P for all the driving around chores and trips reduces the cost of buying fuel to nearly zero. That leaves the poor Suburban on the outs. It no longer serves any purpose at all.

The TM3P car has its first big test Saturday. I planned a weekend getaway trip with Kat. The destination is a pretty good distance from any superchargers, so we'll just have to see.
I am employing the sink or swim learning technique. I figure the best way to see if all this is truly going to work, is to just get out there and start doing it.

So, if you don't hear from me...Those of you who spend the most time on here, form a committee and take over ownership. Raise a cup of quoffee to me once in a while, was good knowing all of you! ;-)

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2022, 02:02:40 PM »
The TM3P car has its first big test Saturday. I planned a weekend getaway trip with Kat. The destination is a pretty good distance from any superchargers, so we'll just have to see.
I am employing the sink or swim learning technique. I figure the best way to see if all this is truly going to work, is to just get out there and start doing it.

Sounds to me like you're planning the old "honey, we're outta gas" trick on a cruise night so you have an excuse to "park". LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2022, 04:06:51 PM »

Sounds to me like you're planning the old "honey, we're outta gas" trick on a cruise night so you have an excuse to "park". LOL!
Maybe 15 years ago!

I just finished applying that ceramic waterproofing wax stuff. It definitely repels water with a vengeance!

I also ordered a cool screen protector of tempered glass that is matt finished and glare resistant

I also ordered an aftermarket screen pivot. The factory model 3 screen is fixed. The pivot allows 30 degrees of left-right travel and 15 degrees up and down. It also mounts the screen about an inch or so lower to open up your view to the right. Looked like a cool option so I ordered it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 04:10:15 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2022, 09:47:07 PM »
What ceramic paint did you apply?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2022, 01:48:59 AM »

I would like to know this as well!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2022, 06:52:24 AM »

Well with no fuel costs in this think wouldn't it better if he drove around the country and applied it to all of our vehicles. That way we could give a in depth evaluation of the product?

Okay I will go wait i  the I'm fired room

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:54:01 AM by oklawall »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2022, 07:09:08 AM »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2022, 09:52:45 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2016/09/06/aaa-ev-emergency-charging-truck/amp/

Talk about raining on a parade!

People: Some observations. People on average are downright stupid. If breathing was something we had to think about we'd have thousands dying every day from forgetting to breathe.

Then we take this herd and we introduce them to a totally new concept, electric cars. No real understanding, just the sales pitch. "Plug it in for a few minutes then drive for free around town."

For most of the Prius/chevy volt crowd, I wonder how much thought went into the decision to buy, then operate the vehicle. First of all, you have a car with only a 70-mile range. So, I'd bet those owners account for the majority of the statistics.

Next, until recently, charging stations have been sparser. Add to that, I doubt the vehicle was loaded with a routinely updated database showing the location of new charging stations. I wonder if other cars have had anything like Tesla's which keep you well informed about your state of charge, and availability of nearby chargers, or will automatically navigate you directly to one.

People are the problem with vehicles running out of electricity. The same with guns. People make them go off, and kill innocents, the guns have nothing to do with it.

How about voters? Do they have to be smart? Do they have to understand the complexity of their government of the fundamentals of democracy? I'd just point to their latest presidential pick as evidence that although citizens are armed with the vote, they just created a massive negligent discharge.

There are always going to be people who haven't planned their route or even thought about it getting stranded. The same goes for gas-powered vehicles. It's people causing the statistics, and people are not getting any smarter.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 09:53:51 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »

Came in a green spray bottle. I used it all on the TM3P and my Kawasaki, then pitched it. I want to say it was Meguires as I have used their stuff for 50 years
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 09:58:23 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »
That green spray bottle look like this and smell great?

Meguiar's G200532SP Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, 32 oz https://a.co/d/byJFw7S

It’s a great touch up product!!! Love that and the blue bottle
I’ll suggest this for a more long term from them
Iv done three vehicles and it’s lasted and works better then the quick stuff. 

Meguiar's G210300 Hybrid Paint Coating, Kit https://a.co/d/5NYKvLJ

It’s easy to apply and the clear coat protection is really good for the cost of the product. 
One kit has done a Harley, and that Escalade. Did the Buick with the other and dropped the can and broke the stupid tip so I couldn’t get it out!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »

It’s easy to apply and the clear coat protection is really good for the cost of the product. 
One kit has done a Harley, and that Escalade. Did the Buick with the other and dropped the can and broke the stupid tip so I couldn’t get it out!

Smelled great...Yep, that's it!

I'll pick up the other stuff and get to it

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2022, 04:48:07 PM »
I am sure you have already noticed how fast the car slows down on its own.  One thing you should be ready for is tire wear, if you push it hard you will only get about 30K out of a set.  If your wife drives 60K.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
I am sure you have already noticed how fast the car slows down on its own.  One thing you should be ready for is tire wear, if you push it hard you will only get about 30K out of a set.  If your wife drives 60K.
I don't drive hard at all
I have only floored my supercharged Suburban a half dozen times...Ever!

I gave mine the juice once alone and twice with the kiddo to demo and never with anyone else. I used to drive like that, but no more

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2022, 01:12:38 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2016/09/06/aaa-ev-emergency-charging-truck/amp/

People: Some observations. People on average are downright stupid. If breathing was something we had to think about we'd have thousands dying every day from forgetting to breathe.

Then we take this herd and we introduce them to a totally new concept, electric cars. No real understanding, just the sales pitch. "Plug it in for a few minutes then drive for free around town."

For most of the Prius/chevy volt crowd, I wonder how much thought went into the decision to buy, then operate the vehicle. First of all, you have a car with only a 70-mile range. So, I'd bet those owners account for the majority of the statistics.

Next, until recently, charging stations have been sparser. Add to that, I doubt the vehicle was loaded with a routinely updated database showing the location of new charging stations. I wonder if other cars have had anything like Tesla's which keep you well informed about your state of charge, and availability of nearby chargers, or will automatically navigate you directly to one.

People are the problem with vehicles running out of electricity. The same with guns. People make them go off, and kill innocents, the guns have nothing to do with it.

How about voters? Do they have to be smart? Do they have to understand the complexity of their government of the fundamentals of democracy? I'd just point to their latest presidential pick as evidence that although citizens are armed with the vote, they just created a massive negligent discharge.

There are always going to be people who haven't planned their route or even thought about it getting stranded. The same goes for gas-powered vehicles. It's people causing the statistics, and people are not getting any smarter.
Not the intention. You said you,we’re taking a trip off the beaten supercharger path. Get AAA and in the worst case they,will bring you a charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2022, 10:34:29 AM »

Not the intention. You said you,we’re taking a trip off the beaten supercharger path. Get AAA and in the worst case they,will bring you a charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK, understood

BTW, Tesla will do that too, part of the ownership thing...You outta check it out

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2022, 03:25:58 PM »

That wax kit is on order.

Question: Who makes a good battery-powered polisher??

Did Dewalt make one? (So I can use my many batteries)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2022, 06:45:10 PM »
I had the dewalt and didn’t like it at all.
The battery power units just kill battery’s or you use the monster 60v and it makes the machine out of balance

The Rupes the go to for me. Good Italian machine and will last you your lifetime

Chemicals guys offers some for less but the balance of a good machine in your hand is hard to beat.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2022, 07:11:25 PM »
Don, doesn't Tesla use gas powered vehicles for service trucks?

Oh that ring is for towing to a charge station.

Honestly sweet car though, to bad biden took away the "tesla" 7k tax incentive for it (only tesla)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »
Don, doesn't Tesla use gas powered vehicles for service trucks?

Oh that ring is for towing to a charge station.

Honestly sweet car though, to bad biden took away the "tesla" 7k tax incentive for it (only tesla)
Yea...I got zero incentive from the government

THat's good because, again, I take no welfare from the guberment

No electric Tesla trucks as of this month, but give it a chance. Hat man may launch four new vehicles in 23.

The electric semi

An 11 or more passenger van is coming

The tesla electric truck, The cybertruck,

And a model 2 thing that gets pretty small

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2022, 08:36:25 PM »
Don, have you seen any of the semi acceleration videos? Friggin nuts seeing a loaded truck move that fast from a stop.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2022, 09:09:24 PM »
Don, have you seen any of the semi acceleration videos? Friggin nuts seeing a loaded truck move that fast from a stop.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have not

But

I do (now) understand the real difference between an engine that needs to increase RPM to achieve max power and one that is always at max power.

The torque numbers of even these smaller EV cars rival what we are used to in 1-ton-built diesel. I can't imagine what a larger electric motor or a couple of them could do.

I mean if you think about it, unsophisticated electric motors with a 1950's design (Not induction motors) move trains with 200 cars weighing 50 tons each with ease. Easy to see how a modest electric motor could get a 90K semi up to speed PDQ

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2022, 09:22:53 PM »
So let's do some cipherin'

If our modern-day diesel engine makes 1000 ft lbs. of torque at the crankshaft...

And we run that through a transmission with a 4:1 low gear we could produce 4,000 ft lbs., minus about 20% driveline it yields 3,200 at the trans output.

Then we take that 3,200 lbs. and multiply it times our 4:1 rear axle ratio, we could have 12,800 ft lbs. at the axle driving the wheel/tire.

But that would only exist for a very short 0-maybe 15 mph, then we have to upshift. Bu the time we get to our 1:1 ratio we have 3,200 total available at the axle.

But if you look at the EV, and I have previously shown the model 3 I drive produces around 7,300 ft lbs. at the axle you start to see why these EV's are so fast. The EV only has the first gear. No matter if you are at 1 mph or 60, you always get the full 7,300 ft lbs torque at the axle.

There is no way an IC engine weighing under 20,000 lbs. will make that much power at driving speeds, its just not physically possible. And if you had something on 100 psi boost to make that much power, how much fuel would it be using and how long would it last? I have a 120,000 mile or 8 year warranty on my drivetrain, even if I use it wide open all the time.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2022, 10:58:18 PM »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 11:47:18 PM »
I agree that EV have a place. But a diesel or gas truck can make that torque as long as it has fuel. In fact, if I could buy a EV truck that will do what the Dmax does for a fair price I could charges anywhere, I'm there!

Motors (trains use way better motors than they did 50years ago) need the amperage to make that torque, and voltage drops pretty quick if you keep it up. AC motors (brushless as we know them now) are way more eff than DC and the materials are just getting better, like batteries.

My models helis use a govenor to do this and I have been involved with testing and setups for years. Lithiums opened a new door and now it is just plain stupid.
I believe the first lithium heli around 20 years ago in San Diego. Mainstay at that time was nicads and just getting to nickle metal hydrid. 3 series, 4 parralel setup.

EV will become mainstream on its own when you can fast charge (like the military does for 1 time use items) or swap battery packs, however many there are.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:49:08 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
That Tesla semi is impressive.

I think JR has it right. At this point with no real commercial charging nexus in place, it will be slow out of the sales gate (Maybe).

But I'll bet some savvy trucking firms will set up regular point-to-point routes with these trucks and immediately start becoming more profitable. As long as it makes money the guberment will find electricity simply because they can tax a positive cash flow operation. You may not have juice for the toaster in the morning, but these trucks will continue to move.

Now I want to see an electric main battle tank! That will be a test to see just how strong these propulsion units are.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2022, 10:36:29 AM »

I think JR has it right. At this point with no real commercial charging nexus in place, it will be slow out of the sales gate (Maybe).

But I'll bet some savvy trucking firms will set up regular point-to-point routes with these trucks and immediately start becoming more profitable. As long as it makes money the guberment will find electricity simply because they can tax a positive cash flow operation. You may not have juice for the toaster in the morning, but these trucks will continue to move.

Now I want to see an electric main battle tank! That will be a test to see just how strong these propulsion units are.

The Army explored this for the Next Gen MBT. Industry consensus was they couldn't make a battery pack big enough to provide the duration needed for combat. At least with current/emerging technology.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2022, 10:43:59 AM »

The Army explored this for the Next Gen MBT. Industry consensus was they couldn't make a battery pack big enough to provide the duration needed for combat. At least with current/emerging technology.
How recently, Sean?
With this LFP battery technology, battery storage capacity has taken a big leap forward, and there are fewer cells, and they don't catch fire...

It will be a while, but to get an MBT that does not need a convoy of fuel tankers following it would be a nice thing. Just think about it, while you're out killing T-90's on a nice sunday afternoon, you are not harming the atmosphere with all those nasty exhaust emissions...Nice thought

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2022, 03:15:37 PM »
Within the last year or so. Problem is, how long would it take to charge? Kinda hard (I think) to service station ressupply a recharge in the same amount of time as we currently refuel. Having a recharge vehicle for every tank would increase our log chains. We'll still need fuel for the smoke generators, too. I think the best bet would be to go to a diesel hybrid electric. BAE is testing that on a Bradley right now. We'll see how it goes.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »
I think the EV trucks are going to be point to point also, heard that a few times, maybe even driverless.

As hot as it is here, they actually ran a few regular NG power plants to help with the consumption. I thought NG was clean anyway?

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal