Hello Guest

Author Topic: BOB/camping/hiking hatchet  (Read 926 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
BOB/camping/hiking hatchet
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:09:48 PM »
I had a chance to use one if these a few weeks ago. It's a Gerber mini hatchet. It weighs exactly 1 lb and is extremely sharp. I was able to make shavings off a dry log for kindling and use it to start a fire with magnesium and flint.  For the versatility and weight you can't go wrong. Comes with a nice sheath with loops.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: BOB/camping/hiking hatchet
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »
tex, I have the older all black model of that one made my fiskers and marketed by gerber.  good little tool.  then I found a estwing 16" campers hatchet and I must say that I am impressed.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
this is the one I've been using for years. solid handle though, w/ no saw blade. don't have a real pic, just the advertisement, but this thing holds an edge.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
yeah, I would carry a larger hatchet when not carrying everything I need in a pack.  This is 16oz, so I'll compromise on leverage to save a little weight.  Nate that Eastwing gives me nightmares.  Reminds me of my roofing hatchet back in the day...LOL
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal