Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

Vehicle based solar generator

<< < (2/2)

Dawg25385:
Don't think so... I think it's normally just a "thing" to replace both truck batteries because the computers are so voltage sensitive. Could be wrong though.

You're basically just copying what is done in motorhomes if i'm hearing right... truck battery is for starting only, but the charging system charges truck and house batteries.

KensAuto:
Isolators are easier. 3 posts....one wire from the charging system, and the other posts go to the batteries. They last a long time as well. Solenoids, not so much.

JR:
We talked about some of this before. I am getting into solar pretty well right now. Just did a 4k system on the house (via dealer) and am adding another 2500-4000 myself with a friend who is a DIY dealer.

I got two 12v panels (poly) for my trailer. They put out 6 amps each, so you have a 12 amps charger under good conditions.

What I have been eyeing is the newer flexible panels. They are amorphis (?) I beleive which are kinda a hybrid between Mono and Poly.

Personally I think it is great idea, but if there ever was an EMP the controller would cook, panels and batteries will be fine. They are cheap on emay, store couple in emp proof containers JIC.

I am using one panel now keeping the 1500 burb charged and plan on building a portable generator with two 6v AGMs I was given.

Matching your batteries is a must, listen to the guys and the golf cart batteries are about the best you can do for a system. They don't like shaking, but like to be cycled.

Flyin6:
On batteries, I learned something about heavy equipment batteries

They are about the same chemically and have the same plates as automotive batteries.

However

The plates are epoxied to the case at the bottom and the top

So that jarring about won't cause two plates to touch, thus shorting out the operation.

FYI

JR:
Sounds like they are built similar to the optimas, but a wet cell. Nothing is wrong with wet cells at all. Just don't let em go dry.

They also last longer than most others, even AGMs. AGMs are great for safety and no maint.  but don't have the life of a wet cell.

For solar I would look at 6v cat type cells, forklift battery or a group 31 battery. Our trucks and most large vehicles use a group 24. The 24 normally has around a 90ah reserve, the 31 has a 180 or better. Then the 6v cart has a 240 or so, but you need two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version