FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

Freeze drier

<< < (5/5)

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: HuskerTrev on March 30, 2017, 11:26:35 PM ---Actually you can't safely can pumpkin. It is so dense that you can't achieve the necessary temperature to insure that all the bacteria are killed off throughout the jar.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

This is the reason we've never attempted it, even in the pressure canner. Wife wants to but I think the freeze drier will be the way to go.

--- Quote from: Farmer Jon on March 30, 2017, 10:05:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: wyorunner on March 30, 2017, 11:36:02 AM ---Have you made pumpkin pie out of your freeze dried pumpkins? We always have left over pumpkins that end up being fed to animals because we haven't really figured out a safe way to properly can them, well according to our canning books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
Pumpkin would be hard to can. Because canning uses heat. You would end up with a jar full of cooked pumpkin.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

This is it what happens to everything in canning.... which is why i love canning chicken, makes for readily available chicken with the pop of a top!

HuskerTrev:
Just a quick update, I have a potential employee making the trip from the big city out here today, so the likelihood of getting the breakfast burrito mix made up this afternoon is slim. I should have time tomorrow after church to get it going though, so look for a photo update tomorrow evening!

Farmer Jon:
When you store for long term how long should it last?

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: Farmer Jon on April 02, 2017, 02:59:41 PM ---When you store for long term how long should it last?

--- End quote ---

Basing my info off of other products, upwards of 25 years. Every freeze dried food producer states it will last 20-25 years. Meats typically have a 10 year life. So, You could say 5 years and know your perfectly fine. I have eaten freeze dried foods older than that with no adverse taste or reactions for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version