FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

Freeze drier

<< < (2/5) > >>

HuskerTrev:
I will document the next batch we run. I have 3 dozen eggs coming tomorrow from a local farmer to turn into breakfast burrito filling. I will photo document that for everyone tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon:
Leftovers don't last long in our house. I would have to make stuff special to freeze dry. Once in a while when we do have a few leftovers that start to get old it goes to the animals.

I would use it more for freeze drying fresh vegetables out of my garden. I can a lot now but that only last a couple years. 

How do you package freze dried foods. Just vacuum seal them?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

HuskerTrev:

--- Quote from: Farmer Jon on March 29, 2017, 01:10:53 PM ---Leftovers don't last long in our house. I would have to make stuff special to freeze dry. Once in a while when we do have a few leftovers that start to get old it goes to the animals.

I would use it more for freeze drying fresh vegetables out of my garden. I can a lot now but that only last a couple years. 

How do you package freze dried foods. Just vacuum seal them?

--- End quote ---
We usually make four extra servings we were are cooking dinner and reserve them for freeze drying. It only takes a few additional ingredients and minute or two longer to make 4 or 8 servings. To pack them for long term storage, an oxygen absorber is vacuum packed in with the food and then they are sealed in 7 mil mylar bags, the labeled and stored. For items we rotate through like eggs and cheese, we pack them with o2 absorbers in pint jars. Once we open the jars, we re-vacuum seal the jars and keep them in the kitchen. Everything else is stored in our pantry. I will get some pics soon.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Bear9350:
I would also be interested for the fresh veggies and fruits.  My wife and I do make extra servings of some items, but just freeze them for short term and plan another meal around them in a couple of weeks.  Works well to have some of those types of meals available on busy evenings.  Our only issue with this is occasionally freezer space.  After picking up the hog and half beef a couple weeks ago there isn't much space left for other stuff.

Farmer Jon:
Oh yea make a little extra. Thats a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version