Hello Guest

Author Topic: Predator Generator  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Predator Generator
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2019, 07:42:57 AM »
Ive heard good things on the Predator and champion generators from people on the camping forums. I have a brute for a back up that I got from my brother. It works well. I'm happy with it. Could have been bigger.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor/outdoor-power-equipment/generators/brute-reg-3-500-running-5-250-starting-watt-gasoline-portable-generator/30634/p-1444425965341-c-10107.htm
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
I have been thinking the HF unit or the champion is the way to go,   The larger the better since it will back up the home also.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »
The timing of this is actually intriguing

Yesterday I picked up a Predator 2000 super quiet gen.

Paid $499 + tax

It is for the camper build I am mid stride in at the moment.

All I can tell you at the moment is it comes in a nice box!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
I have a generac 5500 down at the farm which is hard to kill and runs everything there at the same time if need be

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2019, 12:36:21 PM »
I have been thinking the HF unit or the champion is the way to go,   The larger the better since it will back up the home also.   
[/l]

Dave, good plan BUT....If you tend to loose power at home often or just want the extra amps for when the power does fail you are not going to be happy when it comes to loading up for camping. The larger ones take lots of space to haul around and weigh more that I want to lift in and out of a rig. Better off setting one up at home with an auto transfer switch or an easy to power up switch for when you are not home and the wife has to change it over. Just bit the bullet, save up some coin and place a generator for home use, especially if you plan on staying there for a few years. Then go buy a pair to use in the RV.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:37:37 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »
[/l]

Dave, good plan BUT....If you tend to loose power at home often or just want the extra amps for when the power does fail you are not going to be happy when it comes to loading up for camping. The larger ones take lots of space to haul around and weigh more that I want to lift in and out of a rig. Better off setting one up at home with an auto transfer switch or an easy to power up switch for when you are not home and the wife has to change it over. Just bit the bullet, save up some coin and place a generator for home use, especially if you plan on staying there for a few years. Then go buy a pair to use in the RV.
The end goal is to get a propane gen set outside the garage, but the current is to run a cord from where trailer is parked to the power box, 10 feet maybe.   The trailer sits right next to the home for ease.

I only have a basic power ran into the home, fridge n freezers and a few inside lights.  The rest is on another circuit.  Not really much to run.   Everything else is gas

Don how many hours are on your generac 5500 ?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2019, 10:18:09 PM »
Sounds like you have a good idea of the final setup, and having the genset in the trailer parked next to the house will work too. Good planning

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2019, 10:25:42 PM »
My Wen fires right up but to small for the Ridge, took the 5500 up there. Probably go diesel later.

Buddy runs a 6k here is town and just plugs into the house when needed, no transfer. You can get a breaker that will only allow single feed, so you can backfeed too. I may look at that as solar only works with power in for most.

Don, those go on sale for $450 all the time. I think the generac costs more and puts out around 2200 vs the 1800 of most "luggage" types.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »
Sounds like you have a good idea of the final setup, and having the genset in the trailer parked next to the house will work too. Good planning
dunno, Dave...A couple hundred???

One thing I noticed about it is that bad gas does not seem to slow it down. I left it sit for a year to 18 months once and it started on the first pull.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »
Would you make an argument for the generacc vs the predator ?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
Would you make an argument for the generacc vs the predator ?

They're beasts of a different color. The 2K Predator is small, compact, light, quiet

The Generac are none of that

But that generac has never failed to start during the past 7 years I have owned it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal