FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

Wife Does Not Play Fair. We have chickens

<< < (5/5)

Farmer Jon:
I repurposed an old grainery. If you build a new coop make it tall enough to walk around in. Makes cleaning raiser. Also you can get some decent roosting bars. They like to be up high at night. My daughter was supposed to paint it last summer. You can see how far she got.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

longball:
Thanks for the info Jon. Our do the same thing with the nesting boxes except we have one goober that’ll lay her right on top of the pile of crap. I’m planning on being able to remove or fold down a section of the boxes so they can be cleaned out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyorunner:
I agree with Jon!

Ours (which is a shed now) was 16x12 for around 60 birds, chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas and peafowl. We have nothing now.

The walk-in height is the only way to go.

Nesting boxes, something like 5 birds per box seems acceptable. We had 10, 2 rows of five one over the other. Have a friend who has hundreds of birds, and each bird house only has a small handful of boxes.

Seems the birds just lay where ever. Ducks lay in the places that are most secure, such as a vertical piece of culvert.

Guineas, no idea! They just lay, but do like to roost in the coop.

Turkeys, usually in a bush.

Peafowl, the roost on the top of the house or barn. Lay in very hard to find places.

All of which doesn’t matter, but figured I’d throw it out there!

longball:
Do y’all think if I build a second smaller coop, similar to the one we have now, that they would utilize both of them? Or would they just all crowd into one of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon:
If I learned anything about chickens it is that they are completely unpredictable. They might use both they might crowd into one. Every flock is different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version